OMV 3: Formatting and mounting 4TB usb drive

• Hey fellows,
    got my Banana Pi up and running, again, but can't get my new 4TB disk working.
    As I've testet the drive using exFat with Windows I know the drive works fine.

But on Raspbian (based on Jessie) running OMV 3.0.96 I can't get it work.
    Creating a new partition works fine (either in fdisk or on OMV). Formatting it as ext4 seems to work fine as well.
    But I cannot mount my disk.

When I try to mount it on File System screen, this message occurs:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so.

On details is tells us:

After I did

Code
    sudo e2fsck -b 32768 -y /dev/sda

I get this:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so.

No idea how to get my disk working...

• On https://unix.stackexchange.com…ted-optional-features-400 I got the info:

Zitat

a) Either you have to upgrade the mounter program using a newer distro inside the SD-card.
    b) or you have to backup the files, reformat the SD-card with the same distro (the same ext4 versions) you are doing the mounting, and after the reformat copy the files again to the SD-card.

So why down OMV / Raspbian format with a newer version of ext4 than that one that is supported for mounting?
    And is there a workaround for upgrading the mounting software?

As I couldn't get OMV4 previously on Stretch I would like to stay on Jessie first...

• I made the partition table became GPT. Than I added a new partition, which I formatted ext4. But OMV still is unable to mount it.

• Did this twice. And then created a new FS using OMV.
    But I give it another shot right now ;)

• Have spent hours with Raspbian

Nope, you've wasted hours with one of these crappy pseudo Raspbian images that these irresponsible Banana folks still provide for reasons unknown to me (most probably only to trick unfortunate Banana customers into believing these Bananas would be compatible to Raspberries).

This Banana crap is a combination of an Raspbian userland with a horribly outdated and insecure kernel with wrong settings.

• Well, just broke the image by updating. Figured out I had to expand filesystem first, but it didn't work with fdsik recreating partition and resize2fs (which worked properly using the raspbian image). So what's the trick to expand filesystem on this image?

• As far as I understand resizing should be done automatically on first boot?
    Or can I start the .rootfs_resize manually, as mine still is 863MB...

Code
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mmcblk0p2  863M  592M  201M  75% /
  • Just installed lubuntu on an old notebook to see what's going on in gparted (as I'm not used to use partitioning software in CLI). Didn't know the OMV image is using Btrfs - always searched for expanding Ext4. Maybe I have better luck right now ;)

• always searched for expanding Ext4

The whole issue was covered by the link I posted. The partition gets resized automagically if the SD card is large enough ('8 GB' in size at least). In case it's too small it's just deleting one file and rebooting to get resize to the full size (just read through the link and click on the links there)

• That's what it is supposed to be. I'm using an 8GB card but it doesn't resize automatically.
    Flashed the image several times using etcher - so there shouldn't be a problem on the sd card.

Manually triggering update-rc.d firstrun defaults didn't help. So maybe the resize-value is incorrect?

Just rechecked the 'maybe broken' 16GB microSD card. Etcher has verification problems but it seems to work. Even resizing partition on first boot works like a charme.
    Maybe only etcher has problems velidating checksum? I'll update and run this card a couple of days now. Any suggestion on checking if the image works properly?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!