Plex Pass on OMV4

• Hello,
    I'm very new to OMV and linux... apologies if the question is silly but I just installed OMV 4 on an Intel 6100T/Asrock z270/16Gb ram PC with the aim of create a media center and file server for all my backups.
    I'm a plexpass subscriber and reading through this forum (+ google) I understood that the way to get Plex in OMV is via the extra plugin.
    I have installed it correctly and I'm having the plex server working.
    What I do not understand is what to do to use the Plex pass bit.
    The plex plugin has a note in the setting to a post on Plex forum that i cannot really understand how to use it.
    It links a post but my knowledge is not enough even to understand where to start reading ?(
    Question is: can I just use OMV with the plex plugin as plex passserver for all my other devices (ipad, Mac etc...) or do I need to dig into the manual linux stuff to make it working and upgrading?
    In this second case, is there any reasonably understandable guide for a not linux expert (I usually do basic things with the terminal in my Mac but not more than that) ?
    Thanks you very much, MAX

• Hello Massini72

I am not running your exact setup. I have plexpass but my plex server is on OMV3.
    Everything should work fine. I am not using any Plex Channels or Live TV so I cant say that they will work but I do connect to a variety of devices (ipad, Iphone, Android, Roku, PC) streaming offsite and syncing to the devices works also. Plex Cloud and logging into Plex.TV you can see your server.

I assume you already setup "Shared folders" and such in OMV.

Short Guide...
    Install the plugin > Go to services and Select your Database volume > Enable Service and save..
    Go to the OMV dashboard and make sure the Service is enabled and running.

The next step is to go to http://your OMV IP address:32400/web/index.html and define your libraries and start setting everything up.

• Plex Pass is two things.

One is that Plex Pass subscribers have advanced access to new versions of Plex products. That is to say they pay a fee to Plex to become a beta tester of their software.

Two is that within the software there are some additional capabilities that are switched on only for Plex Pass subscribers. Again, the fee you pay to Plex gets you something that is not available to non paying users.

That's all Plex Pass means and is - earlier access to updates, and a few enhanced features within the software.

There is nothing within OMV that makes use of your Plex Pass status. Plex Pass versions of the Plex Media Server (PMS) are not downloadable and automatically installed by OMV. All OMV provides regarding Plex Pass versions of PMS are brief hints on how to manually obtain the Plex Pass version of the software and manually install it.

The distinction between Plex Pass and non Plex Pass within OMV is that OMV has access to a repository that has only the free, publicly available version of PMS. OMV has no way to access the Plex Pass versions of PMS.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi gderf

I am using the standard version Plex that is automatically installed with OMV.
    I understand that I am not taking advantage of the early access to updates but I did get the ability to do the following once I got a plex pass.

Sync media to devices within plex app, access to my server from remote and Plex cloud.
    Other features like Plex Mix and User control are not in the version installed by OMV. These two features I am not interested in.

• I think you missed the distinction.

There is no Plex Pass version and non Plex Pass version of PMS. There is only one version of the software.

The enhanced capabilities within the software that Plex Pass subscribers can make use of are switched on by virtue of your Plex Pass account status at Plex.tv. This is conveyed to the software when you log your PMS into Plex.tv.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!