Trouble Mounting External Hard Drive

• Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with Linux/command lines/NAS.

I'm following this guide: CNET - Raspberry Pi as Cheap NAS Solution

External Hard Drive: Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB (Part Number: WDBACW0020HBK-01)

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 connected via ethernet to our router/modem. My Western Digital 2TB external hard drive is connected to the Raspberry Pi 3.

I've successfully logged into OMV via the Raspberry Pi, and then opened it in my web browser on another computer.

When I log in I get the following warning (it pops up roughly every 5-10 seconds, until I move to another page.):

I open the Storage > File Systems tab.
    I see:
    IMGUR - Picture of my drives
    I'm aware that /dev/sda1 is the one I'm here to mount.
    I select /dev/sda1, and click Mount.

The following error pops up:

I have the message to Apply configuration changes. So I try... and at 80% I get the same pop-up as above.

So I guess I'm looking for solutions moving on forward.

Any thing is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jon

• I am getting the same error message when I try to mount an external hard drive. I am however able to mount a generic USB stick. Below is my total error message

Error #0:exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '21': modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.9.41-v7+/modules.dep.bin'ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(720): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/fstab.inc(72): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem->mount()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleFsTab->startService()
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(150): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusk9...', '/tmp/bgoutputNc...')
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(151): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #8 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #9 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #12 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #13 {main}

• I think I've resolved my issues!

Ended up going into console
    @Daryll, on the Raspberry Pi, when it asked for login/password: root / openmediavault

this time it told me there were updates to do. --> apt-get
    but that had issues so it told me to type in -dkpg --configure -a (or something along those lines??? I followed on-screen instructions).
    It then went through downloading and installing all the updates manually.

at the end followed it with --> omv-initsystem

When I went back into my web portal, it showed that my external hdd was already mounted! and all of those warnings were gone :)

I'm heading off to work shortly, so I'm hoping to finish setting up everything later.

• Of course as I try to map the drive on my windows laptop...
    I can't remember the username/password for the raspberry pi.

People have mentioned that it should be:
    pi // raspberry

but that doesn't work :/
    So once I can figure out my combination then I should be good to go! haha

• I'm following this guide: CNET - Raspberry Pi as Cheap NAS Solution

Bad idea since the instructions are outdated and wrong. You both should've better read/followed the readme at the download location which clearly states:

Code
    Write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcher https://etcher.io
    to SD card. On first boot the installation will be finished. REMAIN PATIENT
    PLEASE since this can take up to 30 minutes with a slow SD card and slow
    internet connection (needs internet access to update all packages to latest
    version). After one automatic reboot green activity led stops blinking and
    then your Raspberry Pi is ready!

When following this (especially the 'remain patient part') then you'll end up with a more recent kernel and all needed modules available. For logon credentials don't rely on stuff you found on the internet (this pi/raspberry stuff) but create an own user with appropriate permissions in the web UI.

• Bad idea since the instructions are outdated and wrong. You both should've better read/followed the readme at the download location which clearly states:

Code
    Write the .img.xz image in a single step using Etcher https://etcher.io
    to SD card. On first boot the installation will be finished. REMAIN PATIENT
    PLEASE since this can take up to 30 minutes with a slow SD card and slow
    internet connection (needs internet access to update all packages to latest
    version). After one automatic reboot green activity led stops blinking and
    then your Raspberry Pi is ready!

When following this (especially the 'remain patient part') then you'll end up with a more recent kernel and all needed modules available. For logon credentials don't rely on stuff you found on the internet (this pi/raspberry stuff) but create an own user with appropriate permissions in the web UI.

I tried loading omv with the old instructions and the new way stated here by tkaiser and still have the same problem as the other two users.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!