Strange sounds from the HP Microserver

• Hi everyone!

This is only partially OMV related, because it sounds like a hardware problem. However, I am trying to figure out where the problem lies (hard disks or fan) and I would need some help because I never had a case like this before.

I was out for holidays and the only colleague in the office over the holidays reported that the server made strange noises. First she said it was the cable modem, which I doubted and then they said that when they switched off the server the sound was gone... ;)

Now that I am back I switched the server back on and after a while the "strange noise" reappeared. However, it is difficult to identify the source within the server. I think it is the fan, but who knows. I might also be one of the 4 HDDs in the HP Microserver.

I checked the SMART report and the system disk got a red dot, because it has a few damaged sectors. So I will probably have to change this for a new disk. But how do I determine what makes the noise? I can't just unmount the disks one by one, because I would have to destroy the shared folders.

Is there anywhere in the reports to check problems with the disk or the fan?

I opened the server and it is quite dusty, so I will clean it a bit. Anything else I can do?

What would you do in this moment? Make a backup of the installation and install it on another disk? Any tips on how to proceed there?

If it is really the system disk, I might upgrade to the newest version. Or would you first go for the current version and then upgrade? Would there be a problem with the raid and backup disks if I create a new installation from scratch? I guess it probably wouldn't recognize the shared folders, right?

Here an audio of the strange noise. Maybe someone can exclude disks as possible cause due to the sound. I don't know what sound disks make that are dying... ;)

It's a wav file, only a few seconds. Can be played directly in the browser, no need to download.

https://drive.google.com/open?…LVSGzap75khPe2MJwP_4bu56j

Thanks in advance for any help and tips!

• Just "discovered" that the HP Microserver N36L has two fans: one big one for the disks and a smaller one for the processor (?).

I took out the 3 data disks and the noise persists. So they data disks are ruled out, which leaves us: System disk (don't think so), big fan, small fan.

My suspision is that the source is the smaller fan, but it is impossible to say that with security based on the noise. The fans are just too close to each other.

• Sounds like you need to give a good clean. Get that dust out!

Next try unplugging the fans, try one then the other and just boot for a max of 20/30 seconds so it won't run too hot and see which one is the noisy one. Or until past the noisy boot of the boot, think it does this, hardly ever have to boot mine!

You should then figure out which one is the noisy one. Also try and give it a really good clean as the build up of crap can damage fans and bearings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the feedback. I already gave it a fairly good clean yesterday. But I will try to open a little bit more tonight. Will have to open that thing tonight. The hoovering this morning did nothing to improve the situation.

But I didn't have much time. Will try to put your recommendations into action. Will see how to uplug those fans.

• I opened the server yesterday, took out disks, the sledge with the motherboard, the big fan, unscrewed the screws for the power supply (by the way, the second fan is the one from the power supply, not from the motherboard as I thought, motherboard/CPU is cooled by the same fan as the hard disks).

However, the power cables to the fan are fixed, so I did not unconnect it, because it would have been a hassle to connect it again. I then cleaned a little bit (wasn't too bad anyway, the mesh at the front seems to prevent the dust to get into the server pretty well - the mesh was quite dirty though).

As I couldn't really do much, I just put everything together again. Switched it on - same noise. Switched it off and on again: no noise. Today it is running for about 4 hours now without any noise. Not sure if the problem is solved or is just temporary. We'll see.

• I wonder if you had a loose screw or something that wasn't quite seated correctly that since removing and putting back in is now tight again.

Glad you sorted it! Will try if mine gets noisy :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Well, last time it was the same: ran calm for a few hours, then started. Today it ran from about 9:30 until 18:30 without noise. So maybe it is solved. I don't think it was a loose screw though, I think this would sound different and more "rattling" and the position would be easier to identify. And when I unscrewed them, they were quite tight.

Anyway, so far it is calm and I am happy.

• Just in case you are interested: Went to a technician to check the server and at the end the problem was dirt, it seems. At least they charged me for cleaning the server and it is running since without any noise.

Now I only have the problem that I can't access the stupid WebGUI after an upgrade... but that is a different story.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!