Installing something that is not a plugin

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Just about anything is possible but there is the matter of what makes sense. Do you want a server or a workstation? What you seem to be proposing is the installation of desktop software on a server. A desktop, versus a server, are two completely different uses of a PC.

For example:

_________________Workstation _____________ NAS / Server
      Desktop____________ Yes --------------------------No (in most cases)
      Monitor?____________ Yes--------------------------No - Headless (in many cases)
      Software approach___Bloated ---------------------- Lean
      Stable software____Not Important -----------------Very important
      Operation_________As Needed ---------------------24 x 7

These are samples of the differences.

The OMV installation is a cut down Debian Linux install with OMV added. If you want a Desktop, where Desktop software is usable, it's possible to install a Desktop version of Debian and add OMV afterward. However, the end product would be much better as a Desktop and not so good as a server.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • Thank you @flmaxey for your reply.

My main need is a server. The idea is to run OMV on a Raspberry Pi which I put in the closet and that's it.
      However, I need eiskaltdcpp/ which I mentioned before.
      What is unclear for me is how I can install something that is a desktop software in an environment like OMV. Once installed, I will use it as a server software and access it only from a WebUI.

Since you explained that installing OMV after Debian would make it a less good server solution, I rather have OMV first. But can I still install desktop software on OMV?

Out of curiosity; if I want to install OMV after Debian, shall I use the same installation ISO or another one made specially to be installed in top of Debian?
    • It's easier to install OMV on top of a desktop OS rather than to install a desktop environment on top of OMV. To do this, you would install a standard Debian (or Raspbian) and then install OMV from the command line, not the ISO.

However, there is a remote desktop plugin for OMV, which installs XFCE and remote desktop server on top of a standard OMV setup. This would allow you to log in graphically with Remote Desktop client a use GUI tools
    • revise if your desired app exist like a docker, actually is easy to run apps in dockers in OMV thanks to DCDocker plugin.

I actually use mlnet in adocker that have some similitude with eiskaltdcpp/

eg: [How to] Install MLDonkey/mlnet in the Docker Plugin
      OMV 3.0.96 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ;
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest