Unable to select mounted device from dropdown

• Hi there --
    I'm new at this, and I'm having trouble getting everything set up.

I have my drive mounted, and it appears in the list of Physical Disks. But when I go to Shared Folders, I don't see it as an option to select from the dropdown.

Any ideas?

• Which file system is on that disk?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Yes. I've been using that disk for quite some time. The server is the new part.

The disk you are talking about, is that the sda disk or the mmcblk0.
    If it is the sda disk it can't be used as a data drive and therefore it is not being displayed in the dropdown.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe if you cold show a screenshot of the filesystem page that would be greate. If the filesystem is ntfs ive seen some times that it won't show in the dropdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The dropdown is not displaying either disk.

The SDA disk is the one I'm looking to access. Why can't it be used as a data drive? What do I need to do so that I can save files to that drive and access them from my Windows machine?

Are you all saying that the only way to use a disk on openmediavault is to start with a newly formatted disk?

Background: I bought a Raspberry Pi to replace my Pogoplug because the Pogoplug was having trouble displaying that disk when it was hooked to it...for whatever reason.

Whenever I have plugged that disk directly into my laptop, it's fine. But I'd prefer to access it over a network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Read here

http://openmediavault.readthed…/various/filesystems.html

The first paragraph.....THE DISK NEEDS TO BE MOUNTED USING THE WEB INTERFACE, there is no other way.

Is the OS running on /dev/sda1 or an memory sd card? if the OS is running in sd card mount the drive using mount button, if sda1 is the rootfs partition then you cannot use it.

• I can say, as a result of my own testings here, that OMV would behave strange, if the system works with ntfs drives formatted and used in other Operating Systems. Also wiping the disk and starting with a fresh EXT4 filesystem generated by OMV is the way the thing works best.

I also had the problem yesterday, that my old Windows ntfs drive wasn´t shareable in the OMV system.

Sure, you have a problem parking all that data before copying back to the drive but I can see no other solution.

OMV 4.0.16 Kernel 4.14

System: ASROCK J3455 ITX 8GB DDR

• Sure, you have a problem parking all that data before copying back to the drive but I can see no other solution.

I don't think you have enough of an understanding of the OP's problem or enough experience with this product to make a statement like that.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Tell me where I am wrong. I am sure I can learn something.

If it was required to wipe existing populated disks before they could be used with OMV, there would be significantly less interest in the product.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I think that´s right. Nevertheless ntfs seems to be more problematic than the EXT3 and EXT4 drives. I tested to mount the 3TB Reds of my other NAS and they all mounted perfectly and are ready to use. The ntfs windows drives sometimes work and sometimes don´t. What is the problem with them? The user rights given through windows? Is there a way to change the attributes or whatever on a windows system so we can mount them in OMV the normal way?

OMV 4.0.16 Kernel 4.14

System: ASROCK J3455 ITX 8GB DDR

• I don't have any ntfs drives in my OMV machine. I do occasionally plug one in that comes from a friend who I share movies with. All I do with it is copy files to it and unplug it when done. It isn't in my system long enough to run into problems. It's one of those WD USB Passport drives. Sometimes he brings a no-name SATA SSD in one of those USB cases.

I installed the usbmount package on my OMV machine. That allows USB drives to mount and unmount automatically when plugged or unplugged. I don't know what OMV is doing with them or would be doing with them if I did not install that package. I don't use the OMV GUI to deal with this situation - never even looked to see what was happening there. I know the mountpoint which never changes and that's all I need to know. I did have to configure usbmount to understand ntfs, but that was a one time single entry into its configuration file.

My understanding is that POSIX filesystems properties do not extend to ntfs filesystems fully, and I would expect some problems and/or reduced capabilities if ntfs drives were to be permanently installed into OMV. It's certainly something I would not consider doing.

--

• If it was required to wipe existing populated disks before they could be used with OMV, there would be significantly less interest in the product.

Say more about that, gderf. Like HOW I can use an existing populated disk. It appears that you are saying it IS possible without having to wipe the drive.

I'm open to other solutions to help me access this drive when attached to my new Raspberry Pi. It doesn't have to be OMV.

By the way, subzero79, the OS is running on an SD card. That's the other drive that appears on the list in OMV. /dev/sda is the disk with all my files.

• I'm having the same problem as mediagiant. The disk (a 2TB external USB "pocket drive") WAS mounted using the web interface. In File Systems it shows that it is mounted and status is Online. But when I go to create a Shared Folder and I click the dropdown for Device, it briefly shows "Loading..." and then nothing. No devices listed, the "Select a Device" field is blank. And if I click the dropdown button again, nothing happens. The ONLY thing I can do is cancel. This happens every time. It seems odd that it doesn't show ANY of the partitions listed in File Systems. There are 3 of them-
    1. /dev/mmcblk0p1 - 62 MiB vfat labeled "boot" - mounted:yes, referenced:no, status:online

2. /dev/mmcblk0p2 - 7.15 GiB ext4 (no label) - mounted:yes, referenced:yes, status:online
    3. /dev/sda1 - 1.82 TiB ntfs labeled "TOSHIBA EXT" - mounted:yes, referenced:no, status:online

The behavior where it briefly says "Loading..." when I press the dropdown button also occurs when I go to Services > Plex Media Server and try to select a volume for the database volume.
    I'm logged in as admin and I've tried rebooting the system as well as unmounting and remounting the drive/file system (again, via the WEB INTERFACE) but nothing works. The drive has 300 GiB available. If someone with expertise in this area wants me to shrink the ntfs volume and create a 300 GiB ext4 volume to see if I can create a shared folder in an ext4 partition, I don't mind doing that. I just really want to get this working.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!