Is there a list of supported device?

• Hi there,
    I currently have OpenMediaVault running on iomega arm based device (http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:Home_Media_CE) and it works great, but The guy who ported it to the device doesn't support any longer. In fact, I am still using version 0.3 as there is no way to upgrade it. For the moment the device works fine, but I would like to have an up to date and supported box, so I am looking to something cheap to buy to replace it. I use it in a home environment, so no need to great performance, to me is important low power consumption and possibly something not much noisy. I have searched the forum for a list of supported / suggested device, but didn't find. I have searched for some devices on the internet: are they suitable for installing OMV?

http://www.amazon.it/Buffalo-L…JVXA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_30
    http://www.amazon.it/Buffalo-L…J1CBY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_2
    http://www.amazon.it/D-Link-DN…1&keywords=d-link+dns+315
    http://www.amazon.it/Book-Live…B00499DMRQ/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Any suggestion on those or other devices is appreciated.

• The HP N40L & N54L are supported, and from what i've heard, they are cheap.

I think none of your Amazon options will work.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "buongiorgio"

Hi there,
    I currently have OpenMediaVault running on iomega arm based device (http://iomega.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:Home_Media_CE) and it works great, but The guy who ported it to the device doesn't support any longer. In fact, I am still using version 0.3 as there is no way to upgrade it. For the moment the device works fine, but I would like to have an up to date and supported box, so I am looking to something cheap to buy to replace it. I use it in a home environment, so no need to great performance, to me is important low power consumption and possibly something not much noisy. I have searched the forum for a list of supported / suggested device, but didn't find. I have searched for some devices on the internet: are they suitable for installing OMV?

Any suggestion on those or other devices is appreciated.

Wouldn't it make more sense to build your own? If something breaks/blows, all you have to do is replace it.. where with the "commercial" NAS boxes, if it's not under warranty, you have to buy a new one. With the price of some of those you listed, you could build a box for not much more.

• If you have some older equipment around you could build one, as for the noise, that would have to be something you would work out, from quieter fans, sound deadening the computer panels and so forth. As for power use, a Wake On LAN option might help there.

OMV runs on pretty much anything, as I say this someone will say it does not run on X. Be sure though to use a hard drive or SSD as the OMV system drive, an old 2.5 laptop drive would be good, because OMV will trash most SD/CF cards, thumbsticks or other flash media.

Good luck with your build!

• If you search this forum for "arm" you will find many users and many devices. Perhaps you may find one device of interest. You will not be supported as well if you decide to go the arm route though. All use of OMV on arm devices should be considered experimental. There is no formal list of devices on which people are using OMV. The Rasberry Pi is perhaps the most widely used device that people here are using with OMV.

• Hi,
    thank you all for your answers. I feel confident regarding linux and software in general, but as far as regards the hw basically I am clueless. I can perform just basic tasks e.g. adding an hard drive to an already assembled pc. So I would prefer an already assembled solution. Is there a plan to officially support in the future the arm architecture?
    Regards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why arm architecture? There are plenty of small NAS boxes that use an atom or amd processor and have much better performance than the current arm stuff. It sounds like an HP N54L would be perfect for you. It has trays to slide hard drives in just like the little NAS boxes and no assembly required :) I have an N40L (only difference is a slower processor) and it runs OMV flawlessly.

As for official support, Volker has put armel packages in the official repository. As long as the box runs a standard version of Debian Squeeze, OMV should have few problems. The Pogoplug v2 I have uses standard Debian Squeeze and can run up to date OMV with few issues.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "buongiorgio"

Hi,
    thank you all for your answers. I feel confident regarding linux and software in general, but as far as regards the hw basically I am clueless. I can perform just basic tasks e.g. adding an hard drive to an already assembled pc. So I would prefer an already assembled solution. Is there a plan to officially support in the future the arm architecture?
    Regards.

While I can respect your reasoning for wanting an already assembled solution...

The truth is, there is very little hardware that Linux does not support out of the box. The days of compiling drivers, etc.. are long behind us when using well supported operating systems (like Debian). Unless you buy something that is *extremely* new, it's quite likely everything will "just work". If you can add a hard drive to an "already assembled PC"... You can add a hard drive to a PC you build. Frankly, just from the threads I've read here.. getting OMV to work on a off the shelf NAS, is more difficult than getting it to work on something you've built yourself.

People always act as if building a computer is some huge feat. I always tell people "If you have the mental capacity to turn a screw driver, you can build a computer"

Regardless.. best of luck in whatever you decide to get.

• I am using a N40L and a N54L.

They both cost about 200€ and you can just plug in up to 4 HDDs (and the 250gig system drive). Nothing to build =)

The N40L consumes about 37-67 Watt on average with 5 drives plugged in. But it is with 22 db not the most quiet nas.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!