Installing PHP 7.2

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any way to install PHP 7.2 on OMV4? Currently only PHP 7.0 is shipped.

I recommend against changing the php version that OMV uses. if you need a newer version of php, use docker.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I got PHP 7.2 installed on debian using this howto: https://www.colinodell.com/blog/201711/installing-php-72

What I want to achieve is, using differnt PHP versions for my dev websites hosted on my NAS and played out using the nginx module. OMV could stay on the PHP 7.0.

I created a issue in the nginx git repo: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ediavault-nginx/issues/27

May be you can take a look at it. Currently I don't see any advantage of the pool config tab without he possibility to select the PHP version to use for the pool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I want to achieve is, using differnt PHP versions for my dev websites hosted on my NAS and played out using the nginx module. OMV could stay on the PHP 7.0.

I could guess what you are trying to do. Having two versions of php on the box means you have to make sure the OMV and the plugins are either explicitly declaring the version they need or hope they work on the newer version. This is why I recommended not putting another version on the box. I understand that the nginx plugin is easy/convenient to use (I use it too) but docker is really where this belongs.

I created a issue in the nginx git repo: github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plug…ediavault-nginx/issues/27

May be you can take a look at it. Currently I don't see any advantage of the pool config tab without he possibility to select the PHP version to use for the pool.

This is a significant change since it has to write configs differently and in different folders based on the php fpm version you would want. Since I don't think multiple versions of php should be on the box, I'm not going to make the change. Since there is very few people working on plugins, I don't think anyone else will either. Feel free to submit a pull request with the changes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• So what is the purpose of configuring a PHP pool in your plugin if you are not able to select at least the PHP version? Different execution time, upload limits, etc. isn't neccessary at all on a local NAS in my opinion to configure different pools. PHP version will be.

Zitat

Since I don't think multiple versions of php should be on the box

Why not? OMV isn't touched in anyway. What should be the problem? One of the advantages of PHP FPM is the ability to execute different PHP versions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So what is the purpose of configuring a PHP pool in your plugin if you are not able to select at least the PHP version? Different execution time, upload limits, etc. isn't neccessary at all on a local NAS in my opinion to configure different pools. PHP version will be.

The purpose is having different sites be able to run as different users and/or being able to control the resources the site is able to use on the machine. Very useful in my opinion. If you are using nginx plugin, it is probably being used for more than a local NAS.

Why not? OMV isn't touched in anyway. What should be the problem? One of the advantages of PHP FPM is the ability to execute different PHP versions.

There isn't another version of php in the debian repo. So, adding other repos can affect stability of the machine.
    There is nothing to stop you installing another version on your system.
    I just have no desire to add the ability to use multiple versions of php to the nginx plugin. Like I have said before, if you want to submit a pull request adding the support, then I will accept that.

• Question:

is there an major update coming, who provides php7.3?
    i got some errors with applikations, cause they are using php7.3 and dont run on php 7, as omv uses it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But docker is a major PITA when it comes to IPv6.

And you need ipv6 why?

• because everyone needs IPv6. It's the protocll today's internet runs on. Yesterdays Internet ran on IPv4.

btw. i need different php-versions for the nginx, too.

LOL. You ever heard of "Never change a running system"? I mean yeah, if you know what you are doing and you want to use IPv6 to get familiar with it or so. OK. But you should never use sth newer just because it is new. This way you gettin lots of unnecessary trouble. And no, not everyone needs IPv6. Especially not in local networks. This is just making things complicated without any reason. In the other hand, if you know what you are doing and U need IPv6 you can of course use it with docker as well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ecause everyone needs IPv6. It's the protocll today's internet runs on. Yesterdays Internet ran on IPv4.

Really? My ISP still doesn't offer ipv6... if you aren't using macvlan, your container doesn't need ipv6 if the host has it.

btw. i need different php-versions for the nginx, too.

While you can host web sites with OMV, it is a NAS. If you need multiple versions of php, docker is the best way without potentially causing issues with OMV.

• LOL. You ever heard of "Never change a running system"? I mean yeah, if you know what you are doing and you want to use IPv6 to get familiar with it or so. OK. But you should never use sth newer just because it is new. This way you gettin lots of unnecessary trouble. And no, not everyone needs IPv6.

IPv6 is NOT new. its from 1998. It's the standard IP-version for all modern operating systems. my DSL line is IPv6, my servers run IPv6. i get a static IPv6-Adress for my home DSL, i will never get a static IPv4 for my DSL. If we had this conversation 20years ago, you might have had a point. but it's 2021

• While you can host web sites with OMV, it is a NAS. If you need multiple versions of php, docker is the best way without potentially causing issues with OMV.

i host exactly one website on my NAS: nextcloud. Nextcloud wants a more recent PHP version to update to a more secure Version with more and improved features.

PHP-FPM is an absolutely great way of offering different PHP-versions. e.g. Plesk does it that way, too

Docker is NOT a good way of doing this, It's just a bit too much effort (a container with own virtual network NATing, with another nginx that cannot be administrated from the OMV GUI, with php, that's not integrated with the systems package update system...) when it can be achieved by a technique that is already implemented. Just give us an option to choose one of the installed PHP-FPM-versions.

if OMV is just a NAS, then why does it have an nginx-plugin? Why does it have Docker? No NAS i can buy of the shelf has docker.

please accept: OMV is a management tool for a debian based homeserver and not only a NAS (of the shelf Consumer NAS have become more of a home server. compare the feature set with a professional NAS yourself. )

and please accept: when people ask for different PHP-versions they probably need it. For testing, developing, or simply for different webguis or just because the version offered by the OS as default is outdated.

And OMV itself could do with less dependence on singular Version and a more modern PHP-Version. Performance and security have greatly increased since 7.0.

don't get me wrong: OMV is a great software and I appreciate the effort you do in developing and supporting this software, but not listening to reasonable requests of actual users, not offering an update path from OMV 4 to 5 is making me shift away from OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

PHP-FPM is an absolutely great way of offering different PHP-versions

I know that but you risk breaking OMV because its code controls nginx and php-fpm config.

Docker is NOT a good way of doing this, It's just a bit too much effort (a container with own virtual network NATing, with another nginx that cannot be administrated from the OMV GUI, with php, that's not integrated with the systems package update system...) when it can be achieved by a technique that is already implemented.

There are many, many people who would disagree with this statement. You don't have to use NATing in a container.

Just give us an option to choose one of the installed PHP-FPM-versions.

I won't be writing a plugin that does this and I doubt Volker will add it to core OMV.

if OMV is just a NAS, then why does it have an nginx-plugin?

It doesn't anymore. It wasn't ported to OMV 5.x because it was support nightmare.

Why does it have Docker? No NAS i can buy of the shelf has docker.

Many commercial NASes have docker and VMs now. Check QNAP and Synology.

when people ask for different PHP-versions they probably need it.

Most people are not asking. You are the minority. And I gave you a very acceptable way of adding it. Just because you do not like docker, does not mean it is a bad option.

don't get me wrong: OMV is a great software and I appreciate the effort you do in developing and supporting this software, but not listening to reasonable requests of actual users, not offering an update path from OMV 4 to 5 is making me shift away from OMV

Sorry, I can't make everyone happy. I volunteer my time to do this. Someone else can spend their time creating and maintaining something that a very small percentage of OMV want.

• IPv6 is NOT new. its from 1998. It's the standard IP-version for all modern operating systems. my DSL line is IPv6, my servers run IPv6. i get a static IPv6-Adress for my home DSL, i will never get a static IPv4 for my DSL. If we had this conversation 20years ago, you might have had a point. but it's 2021

It is "new" compared to IPv4. And what you say changes nothing on my comment. In local networks as well as home docker environments you very likely simply do not need that. However, docker works fine with IPv6. So if you were familiar with IPv6 we would not even discuss. Just use it..

By the way nextcloud should be used on a docker anyway. There are tons of pros and no cons at all.

But it's kind of funny. We're talking about two "new" technologies here. One is IPv6. You want to use it so badly for no reason, even if it doesn't bring any benefits. The other one, containerization, brings tons of benefits (and by the way would solve this request) but you strongly oppose it. lol

• Offizieller Beitrag

The other one, containerization, brings tons of benefits (and by the way would solve this request) but you strongly oppose it. lol

mattiscb investing a little time in learning docker will return vast benefits down the road you cannot even imagine. On the other hand, search this forum for “IPv6” and almost every post will contain frown and cry emoticons, if you get my meaning.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Thank you for your time and effort.

* Nobody wanted to change the php-version OMV runs with. only a fpm-pool in the nginx-Plugin that runs with another Version

* thanks for telling me that the nginx plugin is no longer available in OMV5, saves me the time and trouble of installing OMV5

* Docker is a much newer technology (2013) than IPv6 (1998). This thread is not about IPv6 but PHP-Versions (and maybe docker)

I'll have a deeper look into docker, whenever i can spare the time. of which I have little (and that's why i liked OMV)

I'll have to re-evaluate if OMV is still the solution for my Home-Server.

• In engineering, everything is a trade-off. Do you use an existing solution or do you develop your own? If you want to use an existing one, which one comes into question? Which offers which advantages and disadvantages? That's what engineers do. Objective-oriented working.

You now visit a forum and with a lot of patience they explain to you what options you have in the world of OMV, what advantages and disadvantages there are and why your idea is not the best choice and therefore not officially supported.

If you think you are the expert here who actually knows everything best, that's okay. But then you should actually be able to configure your server yourself according to your wishes, instead of endlessly arguing about it. Funny enough, your first sentence here in the thread was about IPv6 and now you tell us that the thread is not about IPv6. lol.. So then don't argue about it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!