Bypass startup checks for Removable drives

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Bypass startup checks for Removable drives

I have an HPn40L running as NAS with OMV, and besides the 4 permanent drives i have inside, i intend to be using hot swappable drives, for easy in and out access. Last time i added a drive for one use operation, it caused some problems since it checked for it during boot time and output warnings that it wasnt there, etc which caused me to esit the fstab and messed thigns up further.

Anyway that was eventually taken care of, but my qestion now is How do i add drives, and mount them and have access to the shares, without having the system nag me that it doesnt find them durring starup, or that the contain bad blocks and the such. Its mighty important for me
    • therock003 wrote:

Anyway that was eventually taken care of, but my qestion now is How do i add drives, and mount them and have access to the shares, without having the system nag me that it doesnt find them durring starup, or that the contain bad blocks and the such. Its mighty important for me
      There isn't a good way to do this with OMV. It is designed to have its drives always mounted. The nofail flag in fstab should let the system continue to boot.
      omv 4.1.12 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.11
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • therock003 wrote:

Thats unfortunate. So external usb drives, or swappable drives are doomed to cause nagware? The nofail is one thing, but waiting each time 1 minute 30 seconds for the prompt is another
      You may want to try installing the usbmount package and see how it behaves for you with USB drives.

It will mount/unmount them as they are plugged/unplugged. I'm not sure what happens if you shutdown the machine with USB drives mounted and unplug them before turning the machine back on.

As for hot swapable hard drives I have no information.
      OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380