Turn off the HDD power (to turn off only the HDD)? Better not?

• Hi,

For a couple of days I am running an Orange Pi Zero Plus (OPI0+) together with an external USB 2.0 HDD (Western Digital) as a mini NAS. I installed an OMV ISO image based on Armbian.

The HDD has a separate power adapter, independent from the OPI0+. The OPI0+ has very little power consumption, particularly in idle. The power cable/adapter of the Western Digital HDD is plugged into a remote Wi-Fi (WLAN) power plug, which can be turned off and on - from almost everywhere.

Would it be okay to turn off the HDD power, means to turn off only the HDD, when I don't use the NAS?

Remarks: I will use the HDD very rarely. The power consumption of the HDD is much higher than the OPI0+. An OPI0+ shut down, via OMV, causes a permanent shut down. It keeps on being off, even after turning on the power plug, means it doesn't boot. It boots only, if I remove the micro-USB cable/adapter at the OPI0+ and plug it in again.

Thanks for your advise,
    Joe

OrangePi Zero Plus (using the ext. 1 TB HDD that is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490); Pioneer VSX-S520D + BDP-X300; Quadral Tornado; Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E; Intel NUC 5i5RYH (Win. 10 Pro 64); TT-connect CT-3650 CI; Archgon Panasonic UJ-272; DVBViewer Pro+Mediaserver; Kodi; Pulse 8 CEC HDMI; Logitech LR Keyboard K830

• black tape solution in case ...

Yes, some kind of ;) Just to learn and play. Using the OPI0+ with HDD as a music server (miniDLNA) for streaming flac files to my AV receiver. So, no big damage in case ...

But I'd like to learn how 'tolerant' OMV (based on armbian) is, if the HDD is powered off.

OrangePi Zero Plus (using the ext. 1 TB HDD that is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490); Pioneer VSX-S520D + BDP-X300; Quadral Tornado; Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E; Intel NUC 5i5RYH (Win. 10 Pro 64); TT-connect CT-3650 CI; Archgon Panasonic UJ-272; DVBViewer Pro+Mediaserver; Kodi; Pulse 8 CEC HDMI; Logitech LR Keyboard K830

• But I'd like to learn how 'tolerant' OMV (based on armbian) is, if the HDD is powered off.

You might experience filesystem corruption which is something I would try to avoid at all.

Few facts:

• OPi Zero Plus has 4 fully useable USB ports (1 type A receptacle, Micro USB can be turned into a normal host port by using a small adapter, two USB ports on the pin header)
    • All H5 devices might show shutdown troubles (they don't really power off) so better try to avoid this. Idle consumption is less than 1W so why bother?
    • You can power the OPi Zero Plus also through pin headers. The perfect companions are the inexpensive 'NAS Expansion board' plus Xunlong's 3A PSU!
    • If your WD disk doesn't honor disk sleep settings (hdparm, hd-idle) then throw it away. Personally I consider all WD and Seagate external disk enclosures crappy since their firmwares are broken and you can not fix it since you don't get fixes from these vendors)

A friend of mine had somewhat similar issues with a Seagate 3.5" disk. He broke the enclosure, lets the enclosure's PSU power the disk but uses the 'NAS Expansion board' to access the disk. Beware that the JMS578 controllers on this Expansion board might need firmware updates (that can be applied easily, simply check Armbian forum for details in the 'NAS Expansion board' thread)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!