Suggest MicroSD card size for Raspberry Pi 3 installation

• I am planning on Installing OMV on a Raspberry Pi 3, installing several plug-ins including Plex. What is a good size? What NEEDS to run on the MicroSD and what is recommended to run from the MicroSD? I have a spare 32gb card, is it a waste to use that, or should I buy a cheap 8GB one?

• I run on a 16GB SSD and it's more than enough. But 8GB would be a bit small for me.

Just don't put Plex's Database Library or any Dockers on it - those can go on your data drive instead.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I am planning on Installing OMV on a Raspberry Pi 3, installing several plug-ins including Plex

Besides that you chose the wrong device (RPis are the most lousy boards for NAS use case, literally any other ARM board does a better job since not that crippled like those Raspberry Pis suffering from a single ultra slow USB2 connection everything is behind) Plex without modified settings wants to store its databases on the rootfs and that's your SD card.

Unfortunately still most SBC user are not aware that there's a huge counterfeit / fake flash issue and what's most important for this type of workload is high random IO performance. If you fear your SD card wearing out fast then choose one that is MUCH larger (if your application needs 8 GB and you choose a 64 GB card, then this will wear out 8 times slower -- it's really that easy). But you need to test for both capacity and performance since fake flash is still a pretty common problem (and you get counterfeit cards everywhere, the sellers simply don't know when fraudsters inserted fake SD cards into the supply chain early)

Some more stuff to read through:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!