OMV install on software raid

    • OMV 3.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • OMV install on software raid

      Hello I am planning a new build, I have a spare 6600k with a GA-Z170X-Gaming 7. I was wondering if I would be able to use the software raid on the montherboard for a raid 1 for the OS drive and install OMV on to that. I would then make a raid in OMV for my data. Would this work as I would expect it too?
    • gaming motherboard are not the best option for a NAS, Server motherboard YES.

      perhaps works , but be aware with driver problem (eg: you LAN perhaps are not detected).

      other question , why you need a mirror OS? OMV only use 2GB of your boot medium, use 2 SATA Disk to store 2GB+2GB is a waste of space.

      do you consider to install OMV in a good Brand USB?.
      OMV 3.0.96 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

      Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ;
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ;
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Gaming or not Gaming, that is not any more the question. ( Thank you Prince Hamlet )...

      I would even say gaming motherboard are even better that server board ( sometimes ).

      The linux kernel today can support almost anything except the latest hardware ( last 12 month or so ) ...

      Concerning the board GA-Z170X the only weird stuff that might not be supported is this strange thunderbold 3.

      Chipset z170 is supported by kernel 4.4.113 and superior. Kernel 4.x below 4.4.113 will need recompilation with a specific i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 witch will let you boot.

      Concerning MCDP2800 it was patched in 05/2017 in kernel 4.9

      Killer E2400 chip is fully supported by kernel 4.9 and superior. The Intel® GbE LAN chip is supported throught the intel e1000e drivers intel.com/content/www/us/en/su…-o/ethernet-products.html

      ASM1061 (sata) is fully supported since 2011

      Renesas® USB 3.0 is supported since kernel 3.4

      Concerning the M2 and the raid sata controler ( not identified ) this is the only piece of hardware that might not work. But as it seem to be z170 controlled, it might not be a problem.

      Just go for the latest stable 4.14.15
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by stratege1401 ().

    • chuckado wrote:

      Thanks for the info, I was thinking the raid 1 for os safety but if the consensus is that it is not needed, I am happy to save some money and sata ports. Also I thought it was not recommended to use a USB drive as the read/writes would destroy it quickly?

      Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      use the usb pluging to use omv booting from usb stick. It will use a little more ram and no swap.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.
    • chuckado wrote:

      stratege1401 wrote:

      Chipset z170 is supported by kernel 4.4.113 and superior. Kernel 4.x below 4.4.113 will need recompilation with a specific i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 witch will let you boot.
      Will I need to recompile the kernel if I go to 4.14.15 stable and will using USB for boot degrade the life of the usb drastically?
      OMV can be installed on a Flash drive to boot from it.
      • Step 1: Follow the 'install OMV to a Drive" method and select your USB-Flash-drive as target drive.
      • Step 2: Enable the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin. This lowers the amount of writes to the USB Flash Drive, making sure you can enjoy it for a long time.
      really easy.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.
    • stratege1401 wrote:

      chuckado wrote:

      stratege1401 wrote:

      Chipset z170 is supported by kernel 4.4.113 and superior. Kernel 4.x below 4.4.113 will need recompilation with a specific i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 witch will let you boot.
      Will I need to recompile the kernel if I go to 4.14.15 stable and will using USB for boot degrade the life of the usb drastically?
      OMV can be installed on a Flash drive to boot from it.
      • Step 1: Follow the 'install OMV to a Drive" method and select your USB-Flash-drive as target drive.
      • Step 2: Enable the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin. This lowers the amount of writes to the USB Flash Drive, making sure you can enjoy it for a long time.
      really easy.
      And what about the kernel part of the question? Sorry for all the questions.

      Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    • kernel availability here: kernel.org/

      If you dont want to recompile the kernel,

      wget the good kernel from liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/ or packages.debian.org/buster/linux-headers-amd64 or sid (4.14.13-1) or from apt search linux-image-4.15 using experimental sid sources

      dpkg -i linux_headers-4.14.15_amd64.deb && dpkg -i linux_image-4.14.15_amd64.deb
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.
    • otherwise:

      4.x.x = the version you want to install
      apt-get install git build-essential libncurses5-dev xz-utils libelf-dev bc
      mkdir /kernel415 && cd /kernel415
      wget cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.x.x.tar.gz
      tar xvf linux-4.x.x.tar.gz
      cd linux-4.x.x
      cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
      make nconfig and choose whatever you need, with caution or you will brick your system
      make clean
      make deb-pkg ( on my old system running ASUS M4N78, BIOS 1103 bought 2009 + AMD Athlon 2 X2-260 + 4Go it took me around 3hours )
      dpkg -i linux_headers-4.x.x_amd64.deb && dpkg -i linux_image-4.x.x_amd64.deb
      apt-get install kexec-tools && systemctl kexec

      have fun, save your system before, try on a vm first but the latest 4.15 kernel doesnt like vm !!!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      French, so forgive my english
      Personal Rig: valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
      And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.
    • stratege1401 wrote:

      kernel availability here: kernel.org/

      If you dont want to recompile the kernel,

      wget the good kernel from liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/ or packages.debian.org/buster/linux-headers-amd64 or sid (4.14.13-1) or from apt search linux-image-4.15 using experimental sid sources

      dpkg -i linux_headers-4.14.15_amd64.deb && dpkg -i linux_image-4.14.15_amd64.deb
      Parts are ordered, I will give this a go next week after I build the machine and do the memory burn in. Thanks for the help.