Question about installation on different hardware

• Hello. I'm new to OMV and i've some question about non functionning harware. First this is what i do :

First i've made a test with intel D2700dc mobo (atom) with a promise tx4/300 sata card and 4 disk (1 to 3 on raid 5, 4 the install disk). The install works well, i just cannot install grub, but with the other (sorry for my bad memory) all was ok and OMV goes ok (install with iso + usb cd reader)

So i decided to test to put all my disk on other harware to see, if effectively, OMV was robust. So i take other mobo (sapphire pure withe e530) and put one disk on sata port 3 and try to install. My goal was to see if after install, when i replug my 3 rais disk made on intel board, reconfigure OMV, i can see my datas.

On first attempt, all was automatic, it detect my disk on port3, install OMV, grub and reboot. After the reboot the process of boot stay on line "waiting for /dev to be fully populated". So i decide to put my 3 raid disk to see if it change something : at reboot my raid structure was recognyze by mdadm but always stuck at "waiting for /dev to be fully populated".

So if someone can explain that i thank him a lot.

Sorry for my poor english.

• It looks like a problem with a device (harddisk, network adaptor, serial port...).
    You could take a look into /var/log/syslog and look for udev entries there. Maybe this points you to the right direction.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Why not. But i'm not :
    - a policeman
    - a linux expert

But i'm :

- a good guys
    - a network and electronic expert

And i've some time to to spend on OMV and other problems. But i have never been a moderator, so if you can indicate me how to moderate, why not. But i cannot ensure you that i can spend 1 hour on each day to moderate.

Thanks.

• Sorry if you misunderstood Burnix. Moderators are by invite only and that was not an invitation. Moderators are usually invited based on the following:

1) English skills (because everyone who is a moderator needs to be able to communicate well with each other)
    2) Willingness to help
    3) Accuracy of help
    4) Linux knowledge (OMV knowledge)
    5) Usually have at least 40-50 posts
    6) A good attitude

I would like to see people get help that are not the best English speakers. We are always looking. If you happen to meet the above requisites at some point in the future you might be invited. I am on the lookout for native speakers in French, Spanish, Russian and Italian. This does not mean we will negate speakers of other foreign languages.

• Ok. So lest go to the future :) but i've not a good linux knowledge of linux, some base but too much time spend on dos 6 and windows familly, i can study linux but i'm a bit lazy and not too much time to spend. 40-50 posts : i spend much time to read before post, to find solution on my problems, and i work in the same time on a lots off things (omv, Htpc, plumbing, electronics) so it's difficult to focus on one think in particular.

This is my firts week on OMV, so lest see.

And "oui je parle français" and if there is a french section i'm going to post on it to help and help french people that cannot speak english (google translation was not too bad).

Thanks for all, i'm going to bed.

• I'm coming bacj with allways my question : How i can find my problem. The start process stuck at "waiting for /dev to be fully populated". There is a solution to open another console or do i have to put disk on other computer to access var log and see ????

Thanks.

• i think there is a problem with acpi (firmware bug : acpi : acpi brightness control misses_bqc function). Someone can help me (i cannot disable acpi in bios)

Thanks

• Problem solved by myself. As i cannot make omv working on this board, i make it my new pc (low power). But before to start i want to put on it windows XP (i hate 7 or 8) so to make it easy to work with XP i have patched the bios to incorporate slip and and slic dell table. All works ok and since i have installed xp i dont have made another test with omv. So this night i made the test : It works. So the bios patch make the acpi bug diseapear and i can boot on omv. I dont have test full install, but it boot.

• Glad you got it figured out with the bios patch.

I too liked XP but it will not be getting updated stating early next year. So I use Win 7 and with some work can look and feel almost like XP. Win 8 - well lets not go there!

• I don't want to start a conversation about pro or cons about Windows 8, but I must say, it feels so well... I just can ask all of you to just try it. I was skeptical at first like anybody but neither does metro disturb me in any way - actually the program search is that fast, i don't want to not have it again! - nor the missing start button - which i thought i would really miss, too.

And yes, XP hits the End of Life on the 8th april 2014.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!