Alternative to GoodSync

• As some of you may know, I am the developer of the openmediavault-goodsync plugin. Unfortunately, the company that develops GoodSync has recently started charging for the use of GoodSync on Linux. As a result, I am ending development of the plugin immediately, and must find an alternative solution for syncing. I have been checking out rclone and Syncthing, but neither of them have the complete feature set that GoodSync had that I am looking for. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

The features that I am looking for are:

• Block-level sync
    • Automated syncing as well as the option to only sync manually if wanted
    • Ability to sync to third-party cloud services (especially Google Drive and OneDrive)
  • As some of you may know, I am the developer of the openmediavault-goodsync plugin. Unfortunately, the company that develops GoodSync has recently started charging for the use of GoodSync on Linux. As a result, I am ending development of the plugin immediately, and must find an alternative solution for syncing. I have been checking out rclone and Syncthing, but neither of them have the complete feature set that GoodSync had that I am looking for. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

The features that I am looking for are:

• Block-level sync
    • Automated syncing as well as the option to only sync manually if wanted
    • Ability to sync to third-party cloud services (especially Google Drive and OneDrive)

Goodsync is great.. I really haven't found anything as good, especially for the price

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• It's not the software that I have a problem with. I know GoodSync is great. That's what I've been using it. The issue I have here is that they're playing stupid games with their Linux licenses and I don't like it. For what it's worth, I updated my OMV server to use GoodSync 10.7.5.5 today, and despite my talk with customer service who told me that it's no longer free, it seems to be working for me again, although the web UI has a new message in popping up that says, "Number of Users exceeds license limitations. Please upgrade to Server OS or File Server license." Perhaps if it continues to work, I'll live with it despite my new distaste for the company.

• I have also been looking for a sync alternative to Goodsync and tested Duplicati. I found out that Duplicati only serves as a backup tool, it doesn't create normal accessible files in the destination location. In the FAQ on the Duplicati-site they confirm this:

Q: Can Duplicati store plain files instead of inside compressed folders?
    A: No. Duplicati is a backup tool, not a file sync tool. If you simply sync your files, you need to be certain that the system that you are storing the files on can handle the same as your local files. For example you cannot store data from a case-sensitive filesystem on a server with a case-insensitive file system.
    You also need a server-side handler that can update the remote files, otherwise you need to transfer complete files every time something changes. Duplicati is designed so it does not require any code installed on the remote machine.
    If you store plain files on the server, you loose confidentiality as all filenames and file sizes are readable.
    However, if this is what you want, you can search for "file mirror tool" or "file sync tool". Some open source projects that look interesting: Rclone, SparkleShare, Mirall, OwnCloud, cSync, S3 File Sync. There are many commercial solutions as well.

• Thank you for the list. As far as I can tell, the two options that you have listed that are the closest to GoodSync are SparkleShare and csync, so I will look in to those when I get a chance.

As for Duplicati, I knew that version 1 only dealt with backup files, but I thought version 2 did. If that's not the case, then I am afraid it's not suitable for my purpose.

• It's unfortunate that GoodSync is no longer a viable option for your plugin. However, there are a few other synchronization tools that may be worth considering.

- FreeFileSync, which is a free and open-source tool that offers block-level sync and automated syncing features. It also has a user-friendly interface and the ability to sync to third-party cloud services, including Google Drive and OneDrive.

- Duplicati, which is a free and open-source backup and synchronization tool that offers block-level sync and automated syncing features. It also has the ability to encrypt your data and sync to third-party cloud services, including Google Drive and OneDrive.

- GS RichCopy 360 is another file synchronization tool that offers block-level sync and automated syncing features. It also has the ability to sync to third-party cloud services, including Google Drive and OneDrive. However, it is not a free tool and you would need to purchase a license to use it.

- SyncBack is a powerful backup and synchronization tool that offers block-level sync and automated syncing features. It also has the ability to sync to third-party cloud services, including Google Drive and OneDrive. SyncBack also offers a free version that may meet your needs.

hope these helps

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!