External SSD

• Greetings all,

I have been trying to get my install to work for over a week with no joy. I have a motherboard with 6 SATA inputs, all used by data drives. I tried installing on CF card that works well, but no good for OMV. Then I tried installing to an actuall SSD drive, however, it is connected via the USB3 port on the back of the motherboard. This is not a flash drive (thumb drive, etc). It is a 2.5inch SSD attached.

During install I have booted from an actual thumb drive, and it sees the drive. The install starts, however it fails at different stages every time. There is no getting it to complete. If I try and go back it says no root OS found.
    The reason I want to use OMV is the ability to add drives (excludes ZFS), and it doesn't rely on btrfs.

I got it running in a VM and I really liked it, but no matter what I do, it just won't finish.

The install connects to the network, the name and IP are perfect. I have formatted the drive multiple times (after each failure actually). I have tried formatting it in NTFS, ext2, ext4. It appeared as a CD-ROM a few times, that was fixed.

I know that this project does not recommend thumb drives, but as I said, this an externally mounted SSD. I am guessing the problem is connected to that.
    My last failed installed was at 98% Configuring console-setup (amd-64)

Any ideas?
    Any info I can share to help?

Motherboard is an ASUS Z871-Deluxe, 16MB.
    SSD is a 120GB Crucial

Thank you so much in advance!

Dr951

• You might want to plug the SSD into one of the MB ports for the OMV install. Once that succeeds, move it to the USB port.

That's how I installed my OMV years ago. I moved the 16GB 2.5in SATA drive to a USB enclosure to free up a MB port and make swapping out the OMV drive easier.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• it is connected via the USB3 port on the back of the motherboard

My personal recommendation is to buy only USB3 peripherals (since USB2 stuff can be heavily outdated and crappy) but for an OS drive use it at an USB2 port. In my personal opinion the USB3-A receptacle is a pile of crap since the SuperSpeed data line contacts are f*cking tiny and even slightly bending the USB cable can result in contact problems which result in data retransmits or even data corruption. USB2/Hi-Speed data line contacts are way less error prone.

Performance of an OMV OS drive is close to irrelevant.

• I've read about your preference for using USB3 drives / cables in 2.0 ports but didn't know why. Since contacts of any kind have limited life and smaller is not necessarily better, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Well, this only addresses the connector problem (it's really strange that those pins that should carry signals at a data rate of 5 or even 10 Gbps are so freaking tiny compared to the large ones used for Hi-Speed and lower modes). On the picture below the 4 huge thingies are power and Hi-Speed data lines and some of those 5 tiny spots carry SuperSpeed signals:

So if an USB cable doesn't fit perfectly or you touch the cable later you run for sure into troubles. Once we see USB-C everywhere and no one is using USB3-A receptacles any more this problem is gone. BTW: Some further reading on this issue (OMV OS drive on USB2 ports).

But there exist more issues with USB3:

• Mediocre/bad shielding leading to all sorts of interference troubles (affects more likely USB front ports than back ports that are directly soldered to the mainboard)
    • Interference with wireless technologies in 2.4 GHz band (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth). I've seen already some consumer PCs where components were placed that badly on the PCB that USB3/SuperSpeed troubles always occured once wireless activity happened

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!