OMV on QNAP TS-221: Installation - Does and Don't

• Days ago a QNAP TS-221 came across my way. Want to saddle it up with OMV 4. Acc to my first researches there is a way to install Stretch (also good for HS-210, TS-210, TS-212, TS-212-E, TS-212P, TS-219, TS-219P, TS-219P+, TS-219P II, TS-220) on the QNAP-Device. Is it straight forward to install OMV? Is there a tut for doing so?

Bye
    Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• These are generic instructions that miss all the necessary performance tweaks for ARM devices. Better follow these instructions and use our optimized installation variant for slow ARM devices that run off flash media: OMV 4 image for Raspberrypi

Basically it's just copy&paste of three simple lines and then choosing --> Install OMV in a menu driven application called 'softy':

Code
    sudo apt install git
    git clone https://github.com/armbian/config
    sudo /bin/bash config/softy
  • Good advice, thank you! But I don't understand, shall use the tutorial to install debian and then your article ... Think I will progress in a few days ....

PS: Ich habe mal in den thread reingelesen, aber das verstehe ich nicht im einzelnen, ist nicht eben ein tutorial. Wie geht man denn damit um, dass das NAS kein Display zum Feedback gibt? Das Tut das ich oben genannt habe geht zumindest auf solche unüberwachten Installionsschritte ein ....

Bye Micha from Berlin

Q29000-ITX

• shall use the tutorial to install debian and then your article

Use serial console or SSH (or whatever you used to install Debian in the first place) and then it's still this rather simple copy&paste job (then choosing 'Install OMV'):

Code
    sudo apt install git
  • Thank you, this seems to be quite simple. will this use the flash memory of the qnap device? ... I'll have to wait until the hdds will come, than i'll report

Q29000-ITX

• Hmmm ... tried to install debian after the tutorial, but it crashes when downloading the additional components. I have no idea how to get it up and running. Unfortunately it boots only every 2-3 bootcycles completely into the shell/ssh

Any hints what I can do?

Q29000-ITX

• Trickled a little around, know how to boot it correctly, but the installer breaks after 10, sometimes 20 Files with (for example) "Failed to load installer component - Loading partman-btrfs failed for unknown reasons. Aborting." tested it more th xx times --- means xx + one more time rebooting ...

Q29000-ITX

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• The installer for Stretch wont work for my qnap device. Installed Jessie insted ... While OMV 3 would be enough for my needs, would OMV change the Debian-Version when it updates to 4 ... is this a suitable way for updating from Debian 8 to 9 by using the above mentioned code

Code
    sudo apt install git

What is on the other side the correct way to install OMV 3 on Jessie?

Bye Micha

Q29000-ITX

• While OMV 3 would be enough for my needs, would OMV change the Debian-Version when it updates to 4

Yes, OMV4 relies on Debian 9 and an upgrade will also uopdate the underlying OS. Stretch requires a rather recent kernel (IIRC 3.14) for all features to work so better check this first.

And yes, on your slow ARM device the only advisable way to install OMV 3 or 4 is via armbian-config since then you end up with settings that increase performance and endurance of your installation media.

• And yes, on your slow ARM device the only advisable way to install OMV 3 or 4 is via armbian-config since then you end up with settings that increase performance and endurance of your installation media.

Sorry, I'm not sure I got it right: Can you tell me the way to install OMV 3 on Debian 8 via armbian-config. Sorry if it is redundant ...

Is this https://forum-bpi.de/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=297#p1278 the right way?

Q29000-ITX

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• Get this:

Code
    root@qnap:~# /bin/bash config/softy
    config/softy: Zeile 1087: /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
    config/softy: Zeile 1088: resolvconf: Kommando nicht gefunden.
    W: Operation wurde unterbrochen, bevor sie beendet werden konnte.

Q29000-ITX

• more detailled:

Q29000-ITX

• -su: sudo: Kommando nicht gefunden.

Since you're already root no need for sudo. So simply use the commands without prefixing with sudo.

Besides that many people will tell to never work as root, create an own sudo enabled user account but that would also require to install the sudo package before ('apt install sudo'). Seems your Debian install is pretty limited :)

• This script is not written for performance improvement or I wrote that it should improve performance,
    it's a stink-normal installer script.,
    Armbian & http://forum.banana-pi.org/ are responsible for the performance.
    One should think before when one writes something, oh something else this idea. Armian & OMV was from Benny, I had contact with at this time.

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

• Sorry, as you see in the first post i checked this and did it without sudo, this is not the problem! See line 51

Q29000-ITX

• Pls give me the lines to make sure that i touch the right ones

(have to see first that there is a userfriendly editor, i'm not a code-wizzard or vi-proof ;-)))) )

Q29000-ITX

• identified these

Code
    # nameserver backup
    echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    resolvconf -u

right?

Q29000-ITX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!