Revive botched apt upgrade?

• Hello I just did an upgrade of my ODROID hc1:

After reboot I can not reach the machine any more via browser or ssh. The machine does not connect to my router any more.
    LEDs look normal.
    Power cycling did not help.

This happened to me once before when updating OMV itself. At that time I did a time consuming reinstallation via a new image loaded from Sourgeforge.
    Note that kernel updates went smooth on this setup before and the cryptsetup error is to be expected since I have a LUKS-encrypted data storage (decrypted after boot via the web interface).

Is there anything I could do to avoid a new installation?

e.g. pulling the SD-card and fixing something via chroot

• After reboot I can not reach the machine any more via browser or ssh. The machine does not connect to my router any more.

That's a similar (or most probably the same) symptom of the kernel not able to load an appropriate .dtb. Now with the USB node missing the internal RTL8153 Ethernet adapter is behind you end up with a board without network. Attaching any common USB Ethernet dongle to the USB2 port might help to recover from this problem and then most probably a quick fix would be to revert back to the 4.9 DT:

Code
    apt install linux-dtb-next-odroidxu4=5.35

Maybe you need to purge the affected package first, maybe it's a better idea to downgrade all affected packages down to 5.35.

But please open up a thread over at Armbian forum. It simply sucks that after every single minor upgrade boards are bricked and this needs to change (but I'm just too tired to repeat the same things over and over again)

• You might want to open a thread in Armbian forum.

Thanks for the update!

HHmmmm - when my time gets eaten then I will choose the way.

I think I will install Debian Stretch and then OMV4 and learn something on this endeavor.
    https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/OdroidHC1

chroot won't be of much use on my Skylake notebook ...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DHGE () aus folgendem Grund: started with chroot ...

• I think I will install Debian Stretch and then OMV4 and learn something on this endeavor.

Well, the secret behind 'plain Debian' being more stable than Armbian on SBC is that they simply don't touch the stuff that can brick boards that often or at all (bootloader and kernel stuff) while Armbian for whatever obscure reasons permanently tries to update this without ensuring that proper testing happens.

It should also be noted that upstream Debian uses these kernel packages: https://packages.debian.org/se…eywords=linux-image-armmp (which might lack important stuff compared to Hardkernel's repos, eg. something that will break UAS on HC1 for sure and is long fixed in Armbian on every platform) and I also doubt that any of the various performance fixes are present there (SMP/IRQ affinity fixes, IO scheduler, appropriate kernel config and so on). Please don't be surprised if NAS performance will drop noticeable.

Making some noise over in Armbian forum to influence especially the 'project owner' seems like a better idea to me.

• It should also be noted that upstream Debian ...

Making some noise over in Armbian forum to influence especially the 'project owner' seems like a better idea to me.

Thanks - point taken!
    Had good results doing this for education purposes on a Raspi2.

Before I vent on Armbian forum's turf I will try your USB-net approach - no way since I only have wireless USB-adapters :(

• I will try your USB-net approach - no way since I only have wireless USB-adapters

Maybe time to buy an RTL8153 just for the drawer (in DE eg. this one or with some patience on Aliexpress for half the price). Has been some sort of a lifesaver for me multiple times (an el cheapo USB2 dongle would do it as well but I like that RTL8153 is the most performant one around and driver support on almost any platform is fine since RealTek tried to get their drivers included in all major OS)

• I think I got caught between a armbian repository update 5.38 -> 5.39
    When I did the upgrade not all packages where in the repository or they botched the 5.38 version with the wrong dtb.

Manually (dissecting the deb-file) I installed linux-dtb-next-odroidxu4_5.39_armhf
    After an apt upgrade (brave or?):

So all should be well again now for the other updaters with an ODROID hc1 ^^

• I think I got caught between a armbian repository update 5.38 -> 5.39

Nope, this was just Igor throwing the old packages with higher version number into the repository again to prevent more XU4, HC1 and HC2 users ending up with boards without network after upgrade/reboot. As a reaction to your observations reported over at Github...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!