How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

Hi

I'm trying to get OMV to back up the data (music/films/photos/documents) from my Max2play (M2P) multimedia centre without much luck.

The Pi with the OMV on it has a drive thats properly mounted and I can transfer stuff from my networked PC and my M2P to the OMV by copy/paste. I can also see it in the OMV GUI.

What I cant do is work out how to get OMV to see my M2P and drive and make an incremental backup of it, say weekly or should I say AT ALL at the moment.

I'm just hoping that its not a difficult task and its actually possible and that there is someone out there that might help before my head imploads <X

Thanks in advance.
    • First you need to set up remote mount. Since you're running an R-PI, it should be available in your list of plugins. Remote mount makes a remote folder appear to be a local file system.

The second item is Rsync which is a default OMV feature. Rsync will do file replications of shared folders, on a schedule, as often as you like; every day, every hour, on Sundays at midnight, once a month, etc. As you get into it, you'll see that it's flexible.

Read this thread starting here. > Remote Mount / Rsync In this particular case, the remote folder was on a QNAP but the process is the same for Windows.

All that is needed to connect to the Windows network share, from OMV, is the user name and password of a user with at least "read" access to the network share on the Windows end. (I set one up a user in Window, in Control Panel - User Accounts for just this purpose.) Of course, you could use your username and password when setting up Remote Mount.

Let us know how it goes.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 2 times, last by flmaxey: Edit ().

• Hi flmaxy,

First off, really didn't expect a reply that quickly, so big thanks for taking time out.

And confirming I can do this, that's great.

Sorry for the slight lack of understanding the principal, so am I going to ( in this order)

1. get a plugin called remote mount from the OMV website and set this up on my OMV
      2. Set up Rsync on my OMV WEBSITE

The windows network share, is this presuming the info I want to backup is on my windows pc, which in my case it's not. It's on my music server/media player, which has samba installed. Which I can obviously connect to via my phone, pc, laptop, tablet etc.

Would I need to place any files onto my Media player for rsync to transfer the info (something I've not come across until yesterday) .

Really appreciate your help. Sorry for the dumb questions
    • Hi flmaxey

On my Max2play M2P, its got samba so I've set this up as a z: drive on my windows pc.
      And I can see the "server" folder on OMV, which is where I would like copies of my M2P stuff putting

At this stage, can I just use rsync, to move stuff.

Also I did try and work out how to install the remote mount plugin but could'nt see/find it maybe its had a name change, hence why I ended up doing the above. If its wrong, no problem, I'm just eager to get this working. And its a great way of learning. :/
      ps I think now I have done this, I think I understand more about the windows share. So its not where the backup will be...its just allows/helps you to set things up
    • You need to install Remote Mount: You can find it in the screen below, Under System, Plugins;

When it's installed, it will have a green dot beside it.

After Remote Mount is installed, you'll see it where the #4 is, above.

From there, click on Storage, Remote Mount, and Add.

At this point you can pick up the thread here -> Remote Mount / Rsync

With the IP address of the Windows machine, the exact network share name, and a username and password (the username and password you use to log into the windows PC), you should be able to establish a connection.
      (One connection example is shown above.)

At that point, you should see something like the following in Storage, Filesystems:

The highlighted file system is the remote Windows network share and, now, it's mounted in OMV as if it's a local drive.

From there, you could take as stab at setting up an Rsync job.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Hi Flmaxey

Thing is, if not for people like you, nobody , or some of us wouldn't learn a thing, so I'm very very grateful for your help, especially the detailed instructions. So thanks.

Ok, got that and Sadly I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll put into practice the above which you've posted then.

And if you're ok with it, I'll let you know the outcome when I have, have to say can't wait to give it a go. Having read a bit more about rsync, that an amaxing one powerful bit of kit.
      Thanks again
    • acseadp wrote:

Hi Flmaxey

Thing is, if not for people like you, nobody , or some of us wouldn't learn a thing, so I'm very very grateful for your help, especially the detailed instructions. So thanks.

Ok, got that and Sadly I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll put into practice the above which you've posted then.

And if you're ok with it, I'll let you know the outcome when I have, have to say can't wait to give it a go. Having read a bit more about rsync, that an amaxing one powerful bit of kit.
      Thanks again
      It's all good, take your time. We're not on a clock. But note I might not be able to answer in real time, all the time. If things get busy, I'll get back to you.
      I'm in the process of writing a "Getting Started with Openmediavault" guide, with extra detail and pointers for beginners because; "we all start somewhere" and one of the best ways to learn is by doing.

Rsync is an awesome Linux tool, with all sorts of flexibility.
      Along those lines, I suspect you've only just touched what can be done with OMV. I initially started with OMV on an R-PI. After I learned a bit about what it could do, with all those value added plugins and Dockers, I dumped Windows Home Server and built OMV on an entry level server platform. (And I haven't looked back.)
      With the R-PI and another ATOM processor platform backing up the Server, I'm far better off (in IT) than most small businesses. Best of all, even with a couple small donations to the project, I've done it all on the cheap and it's been 24x7 reliable. There's nothing not to like.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Hi Flmaxey

thanks again for being understaning. And my appologies for not doing the thumbs up, thanks for pointing that out Macon

I still seem to be having a problem finding that darn plugin

I can see the RM file on your screenshot,( and I tried to attached my screenshot). Mine shows the file above where the RM file should be, and the file below (if this make sense) it but no RM. I have had several looks for it and did a search all to no avail. So my question is, can you still see it ?

How odd. I did try and copy a screenshot to this posting but it said there were too many characters..Maybe you would'nt mind taking another look to see if you can still see it. If not then I'll report it to the moderator.
    • You're running OMV on a Raspberry PI, right? What version of OMV are you running? (I was assuming you're running 3.X)

In the Web GUI, on the left hand side:
      Under System, do you see OMV-Extra's at the bottom? (If not please advise.)

If you do, enable the repo's shown.

With both Repo's enabled, take a look in plugin's again.
      In the plugin's screen (on OMV 3.X) you're looking for openmediavault-remotemount. If you're running OMV 2.X, you're looking for something that's labeled remoteshare. (It's functionally the same thing and configures the same way.)

And no need to apologize for thumbs-up. While it's a nice gesture, new forum members miss details like that. (Again, we all start somewhere.) Being "old school", thanks in text is fine. :- )

macom wrote:

So why not press the ThumpsUp button below the post you like?
      Appreciate the thought @macom. :)

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • You helped flmaxey !

Ok, looks like we're in business.

You sorted out the problem.

I set the toggles as you said and now I can see remote mount.

And I'm messaging you now, just so you know that worked as I might be get dragged out later, I hope not, this is far more, well challenging
      Now I just can't wait to get this loaded. So off now to do the next stage.
      thanks again :thumbup:
    • I have got stuck on the first action duhh.

IN the add mount set up box, I filled the first box as per your example "Backups_r".
      Where it says server, I put in my media server i/p address because Within the server is a directory (the one I need to back up) called storage (should this go in the "shared" box ?), in that I have folders called Flac, MP3, Photographs, documents etc etc
      ok,
      Then I entered the media server username and password, then I realised you made referance to my windows pc and logging on, so I guess what I did is wrong. Or is it ?.
      Because I need to back up my media machine, and not my PC (is this what we are setting up here) can I leave the settings as is ?
    • acseadp wrote:

I set the toggles as you said and now I can see remote mount.
      I suppose I should have remembered remotemount is in OMV-Extras "testing", and that's not ON by default. Some of the minute details are hard to keep at the edge of memory.

See? Patience is a two way street. :) With a bit of persistence, you'll get there.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • acseadp wrote:

I have got stuck on the first action duhh.

IN the add mount set up box, I filled the first box as per your example "Backups_r".
      Where it says server, I put in my media server i/p address because Within the server is a directory (the one I need to back up) called storage (should this go in the "shared" box ?), in that I have folders called Flac, MP3, Photographs, documents etc etc
      ok,
      Then I entered the media server username and password, then I realised you made referance to my windows pc and logging on, so I guess what I did is wrong. Or is it ?.
      Because I need to back up my media machine, and not my PC (is this what we are setting up here) can I leave the settings as is ?
      If I'm understanding the above correctly:

In the following example, the Mount Type is SMB/CIFS. The Name can be anything you want but as noted, if I'm remotely mounting something, I stick the _R on the end to avoid confusion when setting up the associated shared folder. (If you make a mistake on the name, it can't be changed. Delete it and do it again.)

Enter the media server IP, in the Server field, and the exact share name, in the Share field, as it appears on your media server. In your case, if I got it right, storage would go in the Share field. (The folders and sub-dir's inside the storage share don't matter.)

On the user and password - use the account and password that you use when you log-on to your media server.
      (Your media server is the security gate keeper of the share. On the other hand, if media server's user name and password are the same as your Windows PC, use it.)

That should do it.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Hi
      Sorry I was "DRAGGED" away from this last night so had to wait till now.
      I did as you said, but it came up with a failed to execute command.

So I looked in the file systems and its listed but not mounted.

There is a window in the failed to execute command which obviously may mean something to the trained eye, but as this stage I'm not that bright enough to work out what its saying. I have a gut feeling that its nothing major, and I have checked and rechecked eveything, even entered things like //max2play/storage and variants of that..

Thing is there is only one grey area, thats the password & user name for my media player. I'm sure I know what it is but I have never had to sign in after setting this up 3 years ago. You can see my setup is in desperate need to have a revamp. hence why I'm doing all this..

Sorry this is dragging out. But hope you can suggest some ideas.
    • I thought I would try and connect to my PC and guess what, thats failed to connect too.
      Do I need to designate shared folders on the the device I'm connecting to as well as OMV.

The other thing I have noticed is that my drive that is connected to the Pi with the loaded OMV on it is constantly running, is this right. I would have thought it would only fire up when its executing a command

Does OMV power it up all the time ?
    • Adding the a remotemount (remote filesystem) is the base for what you're trying to do.
      It's not dependent on anything other than, an available network share, a username and password.

The Share Name:
      To be able to connect to a share, it must be a network share. This means, from your Windows PC when you right click on your Windows start button, open Windows Explorer and expand Network, your Windows PC or your Media server should be visible. When you double click on the device, you should be able to see the shared folder.

The name of the shared folder, exactly what you see, is what you'd enter in the Share field.
      (In the following the share exact name is Videos.)

The User Name (and password):
      Right click on the share, click on properties, then the security tab. You'd want a user that has at least read access. The users' name should be typed in the Username field and you'll need the password for the Password field. (These must be right to the letter. You can see what you're typing in the password field by clicking on the eye ball icon on the right.)

Your own user name and the password, that you used to log into the Windows PC where you can view the share under Networks, would do the trick. (This would work because you can "see" the share using this user name and password in Windows.)

In my example below, I created the user "backup" and give it read access to the Videos share on THEATERPC. (I could have used my username, my wife's username, or even Administrator with the correct password.)
      Again, in your case, use the username and password that you used to log into the Windows PC, that allows you to view the Share.

The Server field:
      You could use the devicename (without the \\) in the Server field. This works. (Do not add \share or something like that. This conflicts with the Share field.) While it works, entering a device name depends on a local name lookup which is something I avoid.

However, pinging the device using the device name, can confirm the correct IP address to put in the Server field . For instance, on Windows command line prompt, I used the following;

Source Code

1. C:\Users\CompuUser>Ping TheaterPC
      2. Pinging TheaterPC [192.168.1.64] with 32 bytes of data:
      3. Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=128
      4. Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=128
      5. Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=128
      6. Reply from 192.168.1.64: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=128
      7. Ping statistics for 192.168.1.64:
      8. Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      9. Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      10. Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 20ms
      Display All
      The above would confirm the IP address you'd want to use for the remote server, in the Server field.

One last thing, and it should have Zero impact on what you're doing right now:

Check the following. You should have the name of your MS workgroup here.
      The default name on MS home networks is workgroup.

If you want to send a screen shot from a Windows PC, resize a window to make it as small as possible (and still show the info). Use the keys Alt + Prt Scr. Open up Windows Paint, and paste. Save the file. On the attachments tab, upload it. If it's large, adding it as a thumbnail is best.

Otherwise, you can highlight, copy and paste the error dialogs into the forum.

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Users Online 1

1 Guest