How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi flmaxey

Thanks for the reply and all the effort you've gone to help.

Thing is I've just hooked up my OMV server and something really odd has happened.
      I can't see the OMV server or my media server in my explorer window. They have just gone !

I can "make" my media player appear on the left hand side of explorer under the network icon if I put
      \\MAX2PLAY\max2play-usb in the search bar.
      But once I come out of it and go back in, its gone again, dam !!!

That said I know they are both on line because I can access the web pages as my router is hooked into them, so I'm trying to find out why they are not coming up on screen, once done I can follow your detailed instructions on getting this sorted.

Have to say I'm shocked, this has'nt happened before and maybe its me tweaking things in OMV..

Ok, I'll have a look around and see if I can sort it. What a pain , sorry for the blip
    • hope this gets loaded.
      There is one screenshot taken, showing nothing really..Just a shot of the screen minus the two servers.

When I came do a screenshot, and wanted to save the files, the explorer opened and I could see all I could before ..
      Ive been playing around with PC's for many years and never come across this, how odd.
    • hope this gets loaded.
      There is one screenshot taken, showing nothing really..Just a shot of the screen minus the two servers.

When I came do a screenshot, and wanted to save the files, the explorer opened and I could see all I could before ..
      Ive been playing around with PC's for many years and never come across this, how odd.
      Images
      • SS3.png

168.8 kB, 4,207×2,758, viewed 102 times
    • I can read the screen shots.

Open a Command prompt window and do the following:

ping max2Play

What's the IP address? That's what you want to use.
      Whatever user name and password you use to log into the logitech is what you'd use in remote mount.

max2Play is on a Logitech item? I tried to look up Logitech + max2Play and while I found a software package, I didn't find any hardware.

As far as OMV and max2Play not showing up as network devices on your PC. (It's not OMV BTW):

if you haven't done it recently, first I'd reboot the PC. (Windows is weird.) Then, I'd consider clean rebooting everything; starting at the router, switches, media server, etc.,

On the Windows PC, you might consider the following:
      (If using Win7) Go into Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, and double click Internet Options (lower left hand corner).

In the security tab:
      Click on Local Intranet and select Low (Or medium-low), OK

While in the Network and Sharing Center, click on Change advanced sharing settings (upper left).
      Turn on network discovery, and File and printer sharing. Save changes. (They may be ON already.)

I don't know what firewall you're running but you might want to set security for your internal network to "Low" or "Trusted". If you have it set to high, in many cases, your PC is on a Network island with access to Web pages only.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • hahah, back on track.

I was so ****** off, i went for a walk, and turned off my PC.
      Came back turned it on and back to normal, I can now see what I should see in my explorer, so thanks !

Ok I'll now play around with remote set up.
      Logitech, the kit I have is a Logitech Squeezebox touch (a player, they don't make any more) and my Raspberry pi, is fed into that. With this I can with wireless slaves (raspberry Pi's) , have music all around the house and the remote garage, all playing the same stuff or different stuff.

Whats worrying me is I don't have a password facility for these things as they are hard wired into the router. So its the router that controls all that.

I have looked on the M2P forum to see if passwords can be set, and they ONLY passwords are pi as user and raspberry as p/w. Which I have already tried a few times.

I have also tried my PC log in and no joy.

So its getting late here and I've been sat here since lunchtime cobbling a media player with accesspoint to go in my caravan.

So I'll give this another hour and then call it a day. Trouble is its sometimes difficult to stop :0(

I have just tried to point OMV to a dir on my PC, and that has loaded ok ?
      So it has to be a permission issue on the other, dont you think.
      Not done the rsync yet, I might just wait until tomorrow when I feel a bit more awake !

The post was edited 1 time, last by acseadp ().

• Something weird happened where I missed some of your posts / screen shots.

After looking at the error, I get it: "Permission Denied". That's it, in a nut shell.

With a media share, there's no harm in giving "Everyone" read access but that's obviously not the case here. Also, as it appears the user "Alex" doesn't have direct access to this share so max2Play is doing something weird with access control. (And there's not point in guessing at how they're doing it.)

(This is why I hate proprietary devices and switched to Linux / opensource where standard practices are used.)

What password do you use to log into max2Play, to set it up?

Try this:

username: root
      Use the password you use to log into max2Play, when you configured it. Put that password in the password field.

If that doesn't work, try using your Windows password along with the username root.

Then try your router password with username root.

Even if this doesn't work, if max2Play won't cooperate. there may be another way to skin this particular cat.

In the following, click on the MAX2PLAY\root user and post the permissions.

(BTW; if you're running Win7, in Accessories, there's the "Snipping Tool". It will give you a more selective screen shot.)
    • acseadp wrote:

1. I have just tried to point OMV to a dir on my PC, and that has loaded ok ?
      2. So it has to be a permission issue on the other, dont you think.
      Not done the rsync yet, I might just wait until tomorrow when I feel a bit more awake !
      1. If you can remote mount a dir on your PC, that's the beginnings of a work around.
      2. It's definitely a permissions issue. The error says as much.
      I'm hoping username root + one of the passwords from the last post will work. (PC password, or router password, or max2Play password)

BTW: I edited my last post, prior to this one. Now it's in a moderator queue so you might not be able to see the full post until tomorrow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• You've been a Great help and I can't expect more, you've already helped much more than I would ever expected.
      A stranger helping out, well its quite mindblowing. This is very specific stuff and the tech guys in town, well I guess they just would'nt have the expert knowledge on this.
      I'm glad you agree it must be a password issue. I'll have to work on that one. I'm just sat here banging in what might be passwords but I think I don't have one as I mentioned. Its all down to the router and M2P only has the Raspberry Pi password, which M2P is built on, and I have tried that.

Unless Rsync can work without user names and passwords (I'll look into that) maybe I have hit the end of the line, BUT I'm not ready for giving up yet, you've put too much into helping so I'll read and tweek a bit more.

That said I thought I set up a job last night and no backup has happened, so I guess its more tweaks on that part too. I think its the setting of the toggles for date time etc.

Thanks for your advice and help again flmaxey, youve been a really great help. :thumbup:
    • Just so you know..and thanks for sticking with me..
      BUT... if I hit run in the rsync window it works.
      My stuff gets transffered and stored, GREAT !
      So access now is ok, I used my shared samba password, why that should work, no idea at all, but it does..So you were right..
      Probelm now is, when I set up the timer to schedule a back up, it just sits there. I've tried what I think were logical conbinations of numbers, ie times and dates and moving the toggle switches in the setup, and still no joy.
      Flmaexy, do you know if there Is there some other button I need to push in another window in OMV, or is there another thing I have to do to get it to work on the timer.
      I would have thought it was just set and go ?
      Sorry for asking when I said I would'nt but I'm just hoping it won't be an issue as long as the last one.

ps, Do you know if the hard drive should be continously be running. I would have thought it would only run while been accessed ?
    • acseadp wrote:

YESSSSSSSS, that worked !!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
      OK,,, so what worked? :) I'm referring the to username and password thing.
      (For future reference; others who search the forum may have a similar problem.)

If you didn't solve the password puzzle, based on what you showed me, I know the username is root so don't forget the obvious passwords like, password, root, admin, logitech, max2play, max2Play, etc. (Have you gone onto the logitech website to see what their default password is? Or,, your routers default password, if you haven't changed it? If you haven't changed it, you need to.)

An Rsync LOCAL job doesn't need passwords. That's the beauty of using remote mount - it takes care of remote user + password authentication permanently. (Or at least until you, the admin, change the remote password.) With remote mount, the remote share becomes a local file system which means OMV's root account is in control of both ends.
      ((As a note, if the remote share is not running when OMV boots up, OMV will not automatically reconnect the file system. That's usually not a problem in that most network devices are up 24X7.))

On Rsync:
      Outside of the manual Run button, there won't be an indication in the GUI that a scheduled job is running. After a job has run, you can verify that it happened under Diagnostics, System Logs, (hit the drop down on the right) and select Rsync-Jobs. You'll see the exact same output from the Run window, recorded in the Log.
      If you're not sure if an Rsync job is taking place, set a file in the source (Text.txt or something easy to identify), and set the interval to 1 hour (or 10 minutes?, etc.) Then come back later to see if the transfer took place, and check the log.

On scheduling: The following job runs at 10:15 everyday.
      If the hour field is changed to a * and the "Every N minute" is toggled ON, this job would run every 10 minutes. Given the combinations possible, jobs can be set to run at any interval from 1 minute to a 1 year. In your case, after testing, once a day should suit your purpose. (As shown - pick a time)

On the help from a stranger thing - I work (hopefully) for a donation. :) If you have PayPal, a very modest donation here, OMV-donate wouldn't be refused. Even as little as $5 helps to keep this Web server up, and helps the OMV project.
    • Hi flmaxey

Sorry in my excitement I did'nt explain properly..
      The mount for my Max2play was successful, to get it to mount, I used my samba password for my PC, dunno, why that worked but it did...And the user was root, you were right on that, thanks.

Ok what worked was I set up a rsync job and hit RUN. After hitting run I went into the OMV server to check and sure enough the stuff, the folder which I wanted to test in M2P had been copied over to the OMV server.

From there I set a time, just a few minutes into the future, I did it several ways, not sure if I set these correctly, but I tried by precise day and date, just a few mins into the future from the time I was at, and then left it over night to another scheduled time. None worked.

Then just now got your mail and did as you showed me (did you get the hours and mins the wrong way round ?) and again no deal. But hitting Run works..

Just checked the system clock and the clock on OMV, all ok.
      I also looked at the scheduled jobs and I thought I would see them in there, but nothing in there.

There is stuff in the log but as yet as I have just sat down here not had time to digest it.
      Bottom line is it seems to work, but I just cant schedule tasks/backups.
      Does OMV take incremental backups and adds to what its already copied, OR does it overwrite whats there, or adds to whats there if this makes sense.

As for the PP, YES 100% if this works or not, its great to be able to get help
    • Hi flmaxey

Sorry in my excitement I did'nt explain properly..
      The mount for my Max2play was successful, to get it to mount, I used my samba password for my PC, dunno, why that worked but it did...And the user was root, you were right on that, thanks.

Ok what worked was I set up a rsync job and hit RUN. After hitting run I went into the OMV server to check and sure enough the stuff, the folder which I wanted to test in M2P had been copied over to the OMV server.

From there I set a time, just a few minutes into the future, I did it several ways, not sure if I set these correctly, but I tried by precise day and date, just a few mins into the future from the time I was at, and then left it over night to another scheduled time. None worked.

Then just now got your mail and did as you showed me (did you get the hours and mins the wrong way round ?) and again no deal. But hitting Run works..

Just checked the system clock and the clock on OMV, all ok.
      I also looked at the scheduled jobs and I thought I would see them in there, but nothing in there.

There is stuff in the log but as yet as I have just sat down here not had time to digest it.
      Bottom line is it seems to work, but I just cant schedule tasks/backups.
      Does OMV take incremental backups and adds to what its already copied, OR does it overwrite whats there, or adds to whats there if this makes sense.

I have just looked tried running another job and checked the log and it says

CRON[3374]: Authentication token no longer valid;new one required

And PP YES 100%, its great to be able to get help !
    • acseadp wrote:

CRON[3374]: Authentication token no longer valid;new one required
      And PP YES 100%, its great to be able to get help !
      This actually looks like a clock related issue of some kind.

First, an OMV reboot wouldn't hurt anything.
      If you don't have a RTC module on your OMV R-PI, check the time/date after the reboot.

I'm not sure how the clock reference works, if Rsync uses UTC or local time. (Actually it's CRON that trips the Rsync trigger in the background.)
      Note, when you pull up the Rsync-Job's log, you can clear the log (trash can on the right) so it's not cluttered and run your test again.
      Make a minor change in the job (1 minute), save it, and confirm with "Apply" when it pops up.
      (BTW: Actions that trigger the yellow "Apply" banner rewrite / refresh OMV's configuration.)

So, reboot, check the clock, clear the job log, add a "flag" file, and let it go for a day. See what happens. I think you're set thou. If you want to, you could easily build a small NAS server from here.

Don't forget backup. Now that you how to Rsync data between a local and remote directory, you can save or "push" (source - OMV : destination - Windows PC folder) a second copy of your data to your Windows PC in a shared directory called backups or something. Two full copies of your data, in two different locations, is solid basic backup.