How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've just a niggle with the clock.

I'm looking at the clock in OMV and the current time says
      07:30 PM GMT.
      In the settings it gives a 24hr clock reading, 19:30.
      I guess the first one is right as it looks like a 12hr format and it says PM. I just hope it's not 07:30 in the morning. And the one in the settings is deffo right. Its funny why are they not in identical formats if they are the same times.
      And ok with what you have said. I'll try that and see what happens albeit I did reboot the OMV just now before running the last rsync job.

I'll either be back later could be in the morning. But eager to try your suggestions, thanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by acseadp ().

• Hi,
      Ive reset the clock and set two new rsync jobs going. One 12hrs from now and one in 10mins from now.
      Also can you explain what you mean by setting a flag, and I like the idea of a RTC, not just for this but other stuff I have around the place so thanks !

Also is this an incremental backup or does it overwrite what has already being copied in a previous backup?

sorry just really eager to lean as much as I can
      And just checked back with the first rsync job.
      Its not copied anything for the first job. Gutted !
      But here's hoping the second one will be ok.
    • CRON[3374]: Authentication token no longer valid;new one required

I think there may be a fix for this. Do you know how to get on the R-PI command line? Have you done it before?
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Sorry, I meant a "flag file" as something that stands out like; 1-thejobworked.txt

In other works, something easy to find.

Rsync "replicates" the source to the destination. I copies files from the source that do not exist in the destination. After the job runs. the result is a full backup every time.

(And if you have the space in the destination, you could replicate an entire drive but you'd have to share the entire source drive.)

In the Rsync job config, you could set the Delete toggle to OFF. "Delete files on the receiving side that don't exist on the sender."

In that case, even if you deleted something in source, it would still be in the destination. (I used to do that for delete protection but I do something else these days.) On occasion, you'd have to clean that up manually but turning the switch ON and running a one time job.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • OMV, or anything you do to it, can't change another R-PI's password. Impossible. I'd reboot it.

So, you can use Putty and get on the OMV command line?

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • user name is root
      default password is openmediavault

Do you have Cap's lock on, on the PC? Check what you're typing in notepad first.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • No Caps lock on
      I change the admin password, thats one I use when I go in through the GUI and Tried that
      Just tried your suggestion
      and Pi/raspberry
      And no joy.
      Will OMV do what I need to do, if so I'm happy to leave it. I'd rather spend time on resolving the issue that it won't backup scheduled rsync jobs , sorry I'm just aware of the time you're putting into this.
    • The two are tied together - the root password on the command line and the "token" issue with CRON.

The "token" is assigned to the user that runs the Rsync job, which is "root". The root password needs to be changed which , in turn, updates the old token CRON is complaining about.

Unless you've created another user in OMV, the only user that can logon to the command line is root. I.E. at the putty logon prompt, root is the first entry, then the password. The user "Admin" only works in the GUI.

If you think you know the root password, make sure this field is set ON before you try to log in with Putty.

If you don't know the root password (default is openmediavault ) this issue may not be fixable. It would mean a rebuild which, in the process itself, would resolve this particular problem.

Otherwise, you'll have to run Rsync jobs manually.

While it's still a very rough draft, I'm writing a "Getting Started with OMV" guide, geared to beginners. At this point, it would have minor errors but there's nothing you couldn't figure out as you go.

(That is, If you can't figure out this password AND you're interested in rebuilding.)

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 2 times, last by flmaxey ().

• Right, I see.
      Ok I hooked up a monitor to the OMV and went to the login.

This time I put in what your said
      root
      openmediavault

This time its come back with a message.
      "You are required to change your password immediately"
      Changing password for root.
      (current) Unix password.
      Not really expecting this, is this what you would expect to happen ?
      I've NOT changed anything yet.
    • put in something easy. one+two=3 or spark+plug or something like that is a good strong password.

BTW: This should fix the problem (fingers crossed)

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Yes, this would happen if you've never logged into the command line.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Must be good to understand something like this.
      well that went well
      The pw has been changed and it fired up.
      So that looks ok. It did tell me my SD card is slow, but I'll make an image of that later onto a new faster one.
      Looks like you've done it again flmaxey.....

Sorry for the delay in getting back

I have just tried a rysync job and you know what

IT WORKED :)
      its backed up just what I set eairlier.
      Man you're nothing short of a very understanding star !

God, this is a life saver if it continues to work.
      I'm sure the whole street heard the shot I let off just then, time for a beer I think.

So if this worked, thats it I guess so should further jobs.

Can't tell you what a feeling this is especially when you mentioned a rebuild !!!!

Dare I say, is there anything more we should do a this point ?
      And I'm guessing this would incrementally back up folders/files is that right.
    • Don't forget that password! Or, it's rebuild time.... 8o

A regular Rsync job is a 1 to 1 replication. The destination exactly matches the source, so it's a full backup every time and since files are in their native format (no compression), you can use them as they are. In fact, if you used SMB/CIF to put the destination share on your network, you could play music from the share.

If you get a replacement, always use name brand SD-cards. (SanDisk, PNY, Samsung, etc.)

For duplicating your SD-Card, get Win32diskimager. Install it, fire it up and in most cases it will find your SD-card if it's plugged in.

Browse / set a folder location and input a filename (RPI-OMV-2-4-2018.img is an example) and click on READ. After it's done, click on Verify (important. If it doesn't match, do the read again.)

Take out the old card , insert the new, then Write the image file you just created onto the new card. (Verify again - important.) At the end of the process you'll have cloned cards.

If you keep the old card, or even the image file (a very large file BTW), then you'd have Operating System BACKUP. Backup is important if you don't want to do rebuilds.

4TB WD My Passport $119

Post by flmaxey ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Duplicate ().
    • Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
      I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
      And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )
    • Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
      I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
      And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

And thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.
    • Users Online 4

1 Member and 3 Guests