How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

• hahah, back on track.

I was so ****** off, i went for a walk, and turned off my PC.
    Came back turned it on and back to normal, I can now see what I should see in my explorer, so thanks !

Ok I'll now play around with remote set up.
    Logitech, the kit I have is a Logitech Squeezebox touch (a player, they don't make any more) and my Raspberry pi, is fed into that. With this I can with wireless slaves (raspberry Pi's) , have music all around the house and the remote garage, all playing the same stuff or different stuff.

Whats worrying me is I don't have a password facility for these things as they are hard wired into the router. So its the router that controls all that.

I have looked on the M2P forum to see if passwords can be set, and they ONLY passwords are pi as user and raspberry as p/w. Which I have already tried a few times.

I have also tried my PC log in and no joy.

So its getting late here and I've been sat here since lunchtime cobbling a media player with accesspoint to go in my caravan.

So I'll give this another hour and then call it a day. Trouble is its sometimes difficult to stop :0(

I have just tried to point OMV to a dir on my PC, and that has loaded ok ?
    So it has to be a permission issue on the other, dont you think.
    Not done the rsync yet, I might just wait until tomorrow when I feel a bit more awake !

• You've been a Great help and I can't expect more, you've already helped much more than I would ever expected.
    A stranger helping out, well its quite mindblowing. This is very specific stuff and the tech guys in town, well I guess they just would'nt have the expert knowledge on this.
    I'm glad you agree it must be a password issue. I'll have to work on that one. I'm just sat here banging in what might be passwords but I think I don't have one as I mentioned. Its all down to the router and M2P only has the Raspberry Pi password, which M2P is built on, and I have tried that.

Unless Rsync can work without user names and passwords (I'll look into that) maybe I have hit the end of the line, BUT I'm not ready for giving up yet, you've put too much into helping so I'll read and tweek a bit more.

That said I thought I set up a job last night and no backup has happened, so I guess its more tweaks on that part too. I think its the setting of the toggles for date time etc.

Thanks for your advice and help again flmaxey, youve been a really great help. :thumbup:

• Just so you know..and thanks for sticking with me..
    BUT... if I hit run in the rsync window it works.
    My stuff gets transffered and stored, GREAT !
    So access now is ok, I used my shared samba password, why that should work, no idea at all, but it does..So you were right..
    Probelm now is, when I set up the timer to schedule a back up, it just sits there. I've tried what I think were logical conbinations of numbers, ie times and dates and moving the toggle switches in the setup, and still no joy.
    Flmaexy, do you know if there Is there some other button I need to push in another window in OMV, or is there another thing I have to do to get it to work on the timer.
    I would have thought it was just set and go ?
    Sorry for asking when I said I would'nt but I'm just hoping it won't be an issue as long as the last one.

ps, Do you know if the hard drive should be continously be running. I would have thought it would only run while been accessed ?

• Hi flmaxey

Sorry in my excitement I did'nt explain properly..
    The mount for my Max2play was successful, to get it to mount, I used my samba password for my PC, dunno, why that worked but it did...And the user was root, you were right on that, thanks.

Ok what worked was I set up a rsync job and hit RUN. After hitting run I went into the OMV server to check and sure enough the stuff, the folder which I wanted to test in M2P had been copied over to the OMV server.

From there I set a time, just a few minutes into the future, I did it several ways, not sure if I set these correctly, but I tried by precise day and date, just a few mins into the future from the time I was at, and then left it over night to another scheduled time. None worked.

Then just now got your mail and did as you showed me (did you get the hours and mins the wrong way round ?) and again no deal. But hitting Run works..

Just checked the system clock and the clock on OMV, all ok.
    I also looked at the scheduled jobs and I thought I would see them in there, but nothing in there.

There is stuff in the log but as yet as I have just sat down here not had time to digest it.
    Bottom line is it seems to work, but I just cant schedule tasks/backups.
    Does OMV take incremental backups and adds to what its already copied, OR does it overwrite whats there, or adds to whats there if this makes sense.

As for the PP, YES 100% if this works or not, its great to be able to get help

• Hi flmaxey

Sorry in my excitement I did'nt explain properly..
    The mount for my Max2play was successful, to get it to mount, I used my samba password for my PC, dunno, why that worked but it did...And the user was root, you were right on that, thanks.

Ok what worked was I set up a rsync job and hit RUN. After hitting run I went into the OMV server to check and sure enough the stuff, the folder which I wanted to test in M2P had been copied over to the OMV server.

From there I set a time, just a few minutes into the future, I did it several ways, not sure if I set these correctly, but I tried by precise day and date, just a few mins into the future from the time I was at, and then left it over night to another scheduled time. None worked.

Then just now got your mail and did as you showed me (did you get the hours and mins the wrong way round ?) and again no deal. But hitting Run works..

Just checked the system clock and the clock on OMV, all ok.
    I also looked at the scheduled jobs and I thought I would see them in there, but nothing in there.

There is stuff in the log but as yet as I have just sat down here not had time to digest it.
    Bottom line is it seems to work, but I just cant schedule tasks/backups.
    Does OMV take incremental backups and adds to what its already copied, OR does it overwrite whats there, or adds to whats there if this makes sense.

I have just looked tried running another job and checked the log and it says

CRON[3374]: Authentication token no longer valid;new one required

And PP YES 100%, its great to be able to get help !

• I've just a niggle with the clock.

I'm looking at the clock in OMV and the current time says
    07:30 PM GMT.
    In the settings it gives a 24hr clock reading, 19:30.
    I guess the first one is right as it looks like a 12hr format and it says PM. I just hope it's not 07:30 in the morning. And the one in the settings is deffo right. Its funny why are they not in identical formats if they are the same times.
    And ok with what you have said. I'll try that and see what happens albeit I did reboot the OMV just now before running the last rsync job.

I'll either be back later could be in the morning. But eager to try your suggestions, thanks

• Hi,
    Ive reset the clock and set two new rsync jobs going. One 12hrs from now and one in 10mins from now.
    Also can you explain what you mean by setting a flag, and I like the idea of a RTC, not just for this but other stuff I have around the place so thanks !

Also is this an incremental backup or does it overwrite what has already being copied in a previous backup?

sorry just really eager to lean as much as I can
    And just checked back with the first rsync job.
    Its not copied anything for the first job. Gutted !
    But here's hoping the second one will be ok.

• This is now getting silly
    I've just been to the the pi login page and stuck the bog standard
    pi, as user
    and raspberry as Pw
    And its not letting me in. Password issues again !
    Has OMV changed andything on that front as thats never happened before

Maybe if we don't have to do this, lets leave it for another time,

• No Caps lock on
    I change the admin password, thats one I use when I go in through the GUI and Tried that
    Just tried your suggestion
    and Pi/raspberry
    And no joy.
    Will OMV do what I need to do, if so I'm happy to leave it. I'd rather spend time on resolving the issue that it won't backup scheduled rsync jobs , sorry I'm just aware of the time you're putting into this.

• Right, I see.
    Ok I hooked up a monitor to the OMV and went to the login.

This time I put in what your said
    root
    openmediavault

This time its come back with a message.
    "You are required to change your password immediately"
    Changing password for root.
    (current) Unix password.
    Not really expecting this, is this what you would expect to happen ?
    I've NOT changed anything yet.

• Must be good to understand something like this.
    well that went well
    The pw has been changed and it fired up.
    So that looks ok. It did tell me my SD card is slow, but I'll make an image of that later onto a new faster one.
    Looks like you've done it again flmaxey.....

Sorry for the delay in getting back

I have just tried a rysync job and you know what

IT WORKED :)
    its backed up just what I set eairlier.
    Man you're nothing short of a very understanding star !

God, this is a life saver if it continues to work.
    I'm sure the whole street heard the shot I let off just then, time for a beer I think.

So if this worked, thats it I guess so should further jobs.

Can't tell you what a feeling this is especially when you mentioned a rebuild !!!!

Dare I say, is there anything more we should do a this point ?
    And I'm guessing this would incrementally back up folders/files is that right.

• Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
    I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
    And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

• Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
    I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
    And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

And thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.

• Hi flmaxey,

Thanks again for your detailed answers, they are a big help or will be.

Interesting about the advice on backups, glad you cleared that one

Well, I've learned a lot and it all got sorted in the end, which I'm delighted about thanks to you.

All I need to do is go and set it up properly, so that's what I'll do now.

Much appreciated and good luck for the future.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!