How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi flmaxey,

Thanks again for your detailed answers, they are a big help or will be.

Interesting about the advice on backups, glad you cleared that one

Well, I've learned a lot and it all got sorted in the end, which I'm delighted about thanks to you.

All I need to do is go and set it up properly, so that's what I'll do now.

Much appreciated and good luck for the future.
    • On last thing, how are you using the other R-PI's a "wireless music boxes"? Please provide the link to the web page / software image.

Thanks
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
      I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
      And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

And thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.
    • Wait! :) Did you see the above post? What did you mean earlier about "wireless R-PI music boxes"? (User name PI, password Raspberry.)

dd wrote:

Logitech, the kit I have is a Logitech Squeezebox touch (a player, they don't make any more) and my Raspberry pi, is fed into that. With this I can with wireless slaves (raspberry Pi's) , have music all around the house and the remote garage, all playing the same stuff or different stuff.
      What image do you use for the "wireless R-PI"? (I'm real interested in this.) Where did you get the R-PI software? With the R-PI image, there may be a way to do the same thing without the Logitech box.
    • Hi flmaxey,

Sorry did'nt see your last posting till now.

Here is the website
      max2play.com/en/

Its one hell of a bit of kit.

I have a Max2play in my car set up as an accesspoint/player (AP) and this is hooked into my car stereo. With this, and with the aid of LMS (logic media server app, or squeezer app on my LOVELY android phone (after 6 years with apple, android is such a refreshing change), I can access my full music libaray.

I have also put all the family photos on it, videos (films) etc. So when we are out touring in our caravan, the passenger can bore themselves stupid looking at the photos or films on their tablet (with headphones connected to the tablet) while I'm listening to the music while getting to the destination. Once there, I use another in the caravan.

The players , these are raspberry pi's with Max2play (M2P) on them which are pluged into any amp that has as aux in. , I have one in the kitchen, there's also another plugged into a DAC, then to my amp in the lounge, there's another in the remote garage and one in the conservtory and a mobile one in the bedroom. They are all connected over wifi. Except the one in the garage, this is done via a power plug from the house router, into the garage and then into a wireless repeater. And, I can have the same music coming out of them all, or different music/tracks/albums out of different ones. In addition, I have a bridcam, made out of a raspberry pi to watch bluetits nesting in the the garden, there's one there now roosting for the night. These Pi's are ace !

I need the repeater because I also have multipul wireless mains sockets around the place which I need to control, these are the standard 433Mhgz power sockets, which have a remote, standard stuff. BUT, Sonoff have a divice called a Sonoff bridge. This copies the signal from the handset and then emulates the 433 transmitters signal. This means you can set timers up, or integrate with ITTT and have things trigger with loads of different scenes. I have one that works my lights in the garden if I enter a particular GPS coodenate when I'm coming home at night (it tracks you so it knows if you are coming or going). You can do other things too. You control the bridge over your wifi, phone app of course.

And with the low current, you can leave them on constantly....Plus, on M2P The HARD DRIVE does not kick in until "requested", ie when you're accessing it.

If you need any further info, let me know.

One final question from me. Talking about hard drives

I found the SMART area in the OMV menu's...
      At the moment its set to NEVER.
      If I make this STANDBY, will the drive only boot up when its been accessed ?
      Be good if it does.
    • Thanks for the info:

BTW: I think you have a few duplicate posts. Hit edit, other options or actions and delete the dup's.

On data drives:
      If you use profile 127, spin down is enabled. (A good performance / power saving trade off.)
      (Acoustic output is something I don't worry about. Your call.)
      Then set the interval for spin down. (30, maybe 60 minutes? You know how often you use your R-PI's. )

This is yet another good reason for cloning your boot drive. With a known good back up, you can try new configurations to your hearts content and see what happens. If you botch it up, and can't figure how to undo what you did, pop in the clone.

In addition to backup, cloning will give you the freedom to try things or even test possibilities on an extra R-PI, without fear of screwing up your working rig.
    • On this particular disk, used for client backups, I'm using 64. The drop downs show more options.

• Hi flmaxey

Sorry not quite understaning the terminology...
      The spindown time, which you set at 30mins...
      I'm not clear what its does/means

Well I think spindown time is the time from ending the schdulede task to the disk parking (becoming stationary).

Does this also apply when you go into OMV, ie if you wanted to adjust the settings, when you logged off, would the 30min standby time kick-in from then?

Sorry flmaxey, just trying to work out what should happen once this has been set up so I know what to look for and not think its a fault.

There's a lot to take in :0), thanks again.
    • By default, hard drives "spin" whether they're accessed or not. They don't spin down (unless some setting built into the OS sends a command).

Some of the profiles in the above put a drive into standby and spin down (profile 64 and others allow it), "if" the drive has not been accessed in "X" minutes. So, the above settings would let this particular drive go dormant and spin down, if it hasn't been used/accessed in 30 minutes. When accessed, it spins up again. This introduces as short delay, as the drive comes back on-line, but some feel it's worth it for the power savings.

There are issues with doing this, spin up / spin down, that are related to drive wear and tear (Starting a motor of any size is when an electric motor experiences the most stress.) If a drive is dormant most of the day, or for days at a time, the power savings and reduction of wear and tear might be worth it.

In any case, it's a matter of trade offs. There's no right or wrong, only the pursuit of the "optimum".
    • Hi again flmaxey

Right got it now, this is just what I wanted to hear. And ok on the wear and tear on the spinup/down. So thanks for the warning.
      I'll not be doing backups that frequent, so, this would be perfect for my needs, thanks for all the explanations so far, they have been invaluable for a beginner like me.
    • Hi flmaxey
      for some reason its not shutting down after trying the several commands in there. Is there anything that could be stopping it.

To test it, I did'nt log off, just did'nt touch it, hoping it would shut down from there automatically.
      Is there something else I need to do like reboot it, then come out ? (which I may have done once)

And I did save my settings each time. I'm going to try it again today and if I can get it to work I'll post what I did here.
    • A reboot wouldn't hurt anything but realize this might not be an OMV issue. It might be a Debian issue. From here, I'd do google searches with "Debian" and "drive constantly running" as terms, or something like that.

There could be several reasons for a drive continually running. In this case, I can't tell you what I don't know. In the last ditch effort, (and I know you don't want to hear this) it might mean a rebuild.

(While the configuration takes longer, really a rebuild is a 15 to 20 minute process.)
    • Hi
      Thanks again..
      Funnily I HAVE JUST burned a new card, rebooted...
      Set the advanced power management to 255 disabled
      Auto acoustic managamet to Disable and spindown to 30.
      Schedule a rsync job and its now copying files, once it stops I'll see what happens. If there's no change I'll take your advice.
      Thing is its copied my files before, but this time it is so slow, couold this be anything to do with this settings I wonder ?
      But thanks again and next time I need a question I'll post one on the forum. Tell you what it would be a great help for us beginners once you have had time to produce that set of instructions. Good luck with that and thanks again, youve been really helpful
    • The "Getting Stared" guide should be out in a month or two. (That's a guess. I don't know what the approval process might be.) It will consist of a build process, based on walk-through's, but it won't have advanced topics in the first version.

BTW, with Rsync, I set most of my jobs to kick off after hours when these boxes are doing nothing,, loafing around....
      Put 'em to work! :)

In any case, really, you're there. You know how to set up working shares and move files around with Rsync. (Backup up your stuff, two copies in two different places.) The rest, add-on's etc., you can take your time with.

When you get everything ironed out:
      If you get another R-PI and clone your SD-card, you'd have full operating ystem AND hardware backup. If you copy your data files to two different locations, on the R-PI (1) and storage on a client with a big drive (2), you're set. You'd have data backup as well.

With a second R-PI and a second boot card, you can test anything you might want to try without worrying about messing up your working rig. Just a thought.
    • Really good bit of advice, there and yes I'll take that and use it, infact got the new 16g card yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Hopefully with all you've helped me with, this one will be a breeze, really appreciate it. And I'll look forward ( whenever you manage to produce it) the manual.

Not only that I guess it will become an invaluable source of information for any new beginner like me.
      Cheers!
    • Users Online 3

3 Guests