How do you (AUTOMATICALLY) copy from lan drive to OMV, using OMV

• Hi

I'm trying to get OMV to back up the data (music/films/photos/documents) from my Max2play (M2P) multimedia centre without much luck.

The Pi with the OMV on it has a drive thats properly mounted and I can transfer stuff from my networked PC and my M2P to the OMV by copy/paste. I can also see it in the OMV GUI.

What I cant do is work out how to get OMV to see my M2P and drive and make an incremental backup of it, say weekly or should I say AT ALL at the moment.

I'm just hoping that its not a difficult task and its actually possible and that there is someone out there that might help before my head imploads <X

Thanks in advance.

• Hi flmaxy,

First off, really didn't expect a reply that quickly, so big thanks for taking time out.

And confirming I can do this, that's great.

Sorry for the slight lack of understanding the principal, so am I going to ( in this order)

1. get a plugin called remote mount from the OMV website and set this up on my OMV
    2. Set up Rsync on my OMV WEBSITE

The windows network share, is this presuming the info I want to backup is on my windows pc, which in my case it's not. It's on my music server/media player, which has samba installed. Which I can obviously connect to via my phone, pc, laptop, tablet etc.

Would I need to place any files onto my Media player for rsync to transfer the info (something I've not come across until yesterday) .

Really appreciate your help. Sorry for the dumb questions

• Hi flmaxey

On my Max2play M2P, its got samba so I've set this up as a z: drive on my windows pc.
    And I can see the "server" folder on OMV, which is where I would like copies of my M2P stuff putting

At this stage, can I just use rsync, to move stuff.

Also I did try and work out how to install the remote mount plugin but could'nt see/find it maybe its had a name change, hence why I ended up doing the above. If its wrong, no problem, I'm just eager to get this working. And its a great way of learning. :/
    ps I think now I have done this, I think I understand more about the windows share. So its not where the backup will be...its just allows/helps you to set things up

• Hi Flmaxey

Thing is, if not for people like you, nobody , or some of us wouldn't learn a thing, so I'm very very grateful for your help, especially the detailed instructions. So thanks.

Ok, got that and Sadly I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow afternoon, so I'll put into practice the above which you've posted then.

And if you're ok with it, I'll let you know the outcome when I have, have to say can't wait to give it a go. Having read a bit more about rsync, that an amaxing one powerful bit of kit.
    Thanks again

• Hi Flmaxey

thanks again for being understaning. And my appologies for not doing the thumbs up, thanks for pointing that out Macon

I still seem to be having a problem finding that darn plugin

I can see the RM file on your screenshot,( and I tried to attached my screenshot). Mine shows the file above where the RM file should be, and the file below (if this make sense) it but no RM. I have had several looks for it and did a search all to no avail. So my question is, can you still see it ?

How odd. I did try and copy a screenshot to this posting but it said there were too many characters..Maybe you would'nt mind taking another look to see if you can still see it. If not then I'll report it to the moderator.

• You helped flmaxey !

Ok, looks like we're in business.

You sorted out the problem.

I set the toggles as you said and now I can see remote mount.

And I'm messaging you now, just so you know that worked as I might be get dragged out later, I hope not, this is far more, well challenging
    Now I just can't wait to get this loaded. So off now to do the next stage.
    thanks again :thumbup:

• I have got stuck on the first action duhh.

IN the add mount set up box, I filled the first box as per your example "Backups_r".
    Where it says server, I put in my media server i/p address because Within the server is a directory (the one I need to back up) called storage (should this go in the "shared" box ?), in that I have folders called Flac, MP3, Photographs, documents etc etc
    ok,
    Then I entered the media server username and password, then I realised you made referance to my windows pc and logging on, so I guess what I did is wrong. Or is it ?.
    Because I need to back up my media machine, and not my PC (is this what we are setting up here) can I leave the settings as is ?

• Hi
    Sorry I was "DRAGGED" away from this last night so had to wait till now.
    I did as you said, but it came up with a failed to execute command.

So I looked in the file systems and its listed but not mounted.

There is a window in the failed to execute command which obviously may mean something to the trained eye, but as this stage I'm not that bright enough to work out what its saying. I have a gut feeling that its nothing major, and I have checked and rechecked eveything, even entered things like //max2play/storage and variants of that..

Thing is there is only one grey area, thats the password & user name for my media player. I'm sure I know what it is but I have never had to sign in after setting this up 3 years ago. You can see my setup is in desperate need to have a revamp. hence why I'm doing all this..

Sorry this is dragging out. But hope you can suggest some ideas.

• I thought I would try and connect to my PC and guess what, thats failed to connect too.
    Do I need to designate shared folders on the the device I'm connecting to as well as OMV.

The other thing I have noticed is that my drive that is connected to the Pi with the loaded OMV on it is constantly running, is this right. I would have thought it would only fire up when its executing a command

Does OMV power it up all the time ?

• Hi flmaxey

Thanks for the reply and all the effort you've gone to help.

Thing is I've just hooked up my OMV server and something really odd has happened.
    I can't see the OMV server or my media server in my explorer window. They have just gone !

I can "make" my media player appear on the left hand side of explorer under the network icon if I put
    \\MAX2PLAY\max2play-usb in the search bar.
    But once I come out of it and go back in, its gone again, dam !!!

That said I know they are both on line because I can access the web pages as my router is hooked into them, so I'm trying to find out why they are not coming up on screen, once done I can follow your detailed instructions on getting this sorted.

Have to say I'm shocked, this has'nt happened before and maybe its me tweaking things in OMV..

Ok, I'll have a look around and see if I can sort it. What a pain , sorry for the blip

• hope this gets loaded.
    There is one screenshot taken, showing nothing really..Just a shot of the screen minus the two servers.

When I came do a screenshot, and wanted to save the files, the explorer opened and I could see all I could before ..
    Ive been playing around with PC's for many years and never come across this, how odd.

• hope this gets loaded.
    There is one screenshot taken, showing nothing really..Just a shot of the screen minus the two servers.

When I came do a screenshot, and wanted to save the files, the explorer opened and I could see all I could before ..
    Ive been playing around with PC's for many years and never come across this, how odd.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!