My 1st NAS: 'DLNA music server' based on an Orange Pi Zero Plus (w/o RAID)

• Hi all,

At first: many thanks to all OMV developers and contributors! It works fine! :thumbup:

Ingredients of my 1st DIY mini 2 TB NAS (without RAID) - in total around 114,00 €:

Thanks to @tkaiser and others it has been easy to put my idea into practice.

The External 2 TB Western Digital HDD [6.] is connected to the OPI0+ [1.]. Thus, there is no RAID configuration for the OPI0+, which is connected via LAN cable directly to the Fritz!Box [9.]. The Fritz!Box is the router/switch/hub for my in-house network (LAN and Wi-Fi / WLAN).

Currently, I am just storing a lot of FLAC files on the Western Digital HDD, which I had created from audio CDs using Exact Audio Copy (EAC), including album covers (jpg). Based on the OMV miniDLNA plugin, I can stream these FLAC files easily and quickly to my AV receiver. There is a very good remote control app for the AV receiver from its manufacturer, which runs on smartphones and tablets - and displays the album covers properly from miniDLNA.

Transferring the FLAC files from the Intel NUC computer (Windows 10 Pro) to the 2 TB Western Digital HDD, which is attached to the OPI0+, is more than 5 times faster than transferring them to the 1 TB Toshiba HDD, which is attached to the Fritz!Box.

The initial delay when starting to stream FLAC files from the Western Digital HDD, or changing to a different album, is just 1 to 3 seconds. Doing the same via the Fritz!Box causes a delay of 10 to 30 seconds. Refreshing the miniDLNA index takes less than 10 seconds. Updating the index of the Fritz!Box 7490 (built-in media server) takes usually a couple of minutes, up to 20 minutes.

In general, the built-in media server of the Fritz!Box 7490 cannot interpret the tag information of FLAC files (e.g. album, title, artist, and so on). In contrast, this works fine with miniDLNA.

Remote reboot and shutdown is very convenient and fast via OMV ^^ Remote start (boot) doesn't work without physically unplugging and plugging in again the micro-USB plug of the LEICKE power supply [3.] at the OPI0+. It would be fine, if this could be managed thru turning off a remote Wi-Fi (WLAN) power plug adapter, which I do have ... that can be turned on and off from almost everywhere via smartphone or tablet ;) for convenience :whistling: ... just a 'luxury problem'.

First impressions: openmediavault and the OMV plugins are great! :)

Regards,
    Joe

OrangePi Zero Plus (using the ext. 1 TB HDD that is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490); Pioneer VSX-S520D + BDP-X300; Quadral Tornado; Panasonic Viera TX-L42V20E; Intel NUC 5i5RYH (Win. 10 Pro 64); TT-connect CT-3650 CI; Archgon Panasonic UJ-272; DVBViewer Pro+Mediaserver; Kodi; Pulse 8 CEC HDMI; Logitech LR Keyboard K830

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Joe_PS () aus folgendem Grund: Typos

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!