Random (?) slow write speed to OMV under Xubuntu, Win7 is ok

• I understand it's likely NOT an OMV issue, but I will try seeking help here nevertheless.

==================================

I am experiencing some very slow write speeds (about 12-15 MB/s, sometimes even less than that - over a gigabit network) under Xubuntu 16.04 lately.

At first I thought it was due to the recent 3.x OMV upgrade but since it runs off a USB pendrive I immediately reverted to the old 2.x distribution and the issue is still there.

Some details about the tests I made:

- client PC is a Core i3 6100, 16GB RAM, main drive is a Samsung SSD, test data being copied to the NAS is on a separate WD Green 500GB hard disk
    - network is gigabit (ethtool confirms gigabit full duplex)
    - client PC has dualboot with Windows7 64bit, and NAS is working flawlessly there (100+ MB/s), as it did under Xubuntu until recently
    - iperf benchmarks on both Xubuntu *and* the NAS shows about 950 Mb/s
    - the network share is accessed via cifs/smb
    - sometimes write speed (data used for the test is usually huge files ranging from 500 MB to 2-3 GB) goes back to normal, then horribly crawls at 1 MB/s or even less

Considering the huge performance differences between Xubuntu/Linux and Windows7 on the very same hardware I have to guess the issue isn't on the server side (i.e. the NAS) but on the client instead.

But I really have no idea what to look for, so any suggestion is surely appreciated.

• But I really have no idea what to look for, so any suggestion is surely appreciated

In case you use Gnome's virtual filesystem to mount a Samba share simply try to avoid this as first step. Umount the share in the Xubuntu GUI, mount it with mount_cifs on the command line, test again and report back.

• First of all, thanks for the quick reply! :)

Shares are currently mounted via static entry in fstab (left basically untouched since forever, I had a "proper" NAS before switching to OMV so I just used the same IP and share names/path), but I am not a huge Linux expert unfortunately... I *guess* the answer is "no, I don't use any virtual filesystem" but could you please confirm this is the case?

• I'm back, here's the full output of cat /etc/mtab as requested.

Needless to say, NAS shares are shown at line 30 and 31

Anything strange?

• I did some extra testing during the weekend: tried booting from a live Xubuntu 16 USB (64 bit) and manually mounting the NAS share, and also installing an empty 2.5" HD with a dedicated share, just to be sure there were no issues with the previously installed drives. I also replaced the whole gigabit chain by inserting a gigabit switch before the modem/router with a different pair of ethernet cables. Still getting the same results so I reverted back to to original configuration.

=====================================

It seems to me there is a correlation (again, I may be missing something obvious) between stuff that is actually being copied and the resulting speed.

When I try to trasfer mixed sized files (a mixture of 3-4 MB jpeg and several hundreds MB sized mp4 and/or tar.gz archives, for a grand total of about 2-3 GBs) average write speed is considerably higher, while transfering a single mp4 of the same size (i.e. 2-3 GBs) goes back to 15-20 MB/s.

Is this expected behaviour?
    If so, I honestly hadn't noticed before. :-\

PS: I also get some serious issues (basically, video constantly hangs and reproduction turns out being impossible) while trying to play the aforementioned 2-3 GB mp4 HD videos from the NAS (via VLC), if that rings a bell...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!