Proxmox Kernel

• Anybody who would like to enlighten me as to the use of "installing the proxmox kernel" in the OMV3 WebUI?

I also dont see any purpose of virtualising OMV except for development purpose. Where is the sense of virtualising the NAS that already offers virtualization?

For sure there is no performance gain by having two layers of virtualization above each other. And all thos hasszles handing through hdds to the VM. I do remember my odysee with my HP ProLiant Gen8 and P410 raid controler, finding after many hours of research, that HP uses some addressrange required for pass through for theyre intenal server iLO communication...

Well I do see some gains in getting independend of hardware, yes, but then, having an ISO backup from the OS disc, setting up OMV is almost as fast and easy as moving a VM from one server to an other server, setting up the passthrough and transfering all the data to the new machine.... vs plugin in the old data drives into a new server, plug in a new OS drive and setup OMV, pulling all the settings out of the OS-disc-backup. So I just dont see the benefit of virtualization of the OMV machine.

But you guys for sure could explain to me the errors of my ways... :D

Thanks
    Cheers, Manne

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use the proxmox kernel. I think they decided to use that when there were issues with zfs. Proxmox uses a newer ubuntu (/) kernel. It is newer than the backport kernel so should should support newer hardware and software if you need that.

I do have omv3 running on proxmox. It is a nice way to share some of the hard drive space and use some of the plugins. Works well. I also test omv that way.

• I was the initiator for the proxmox kernel because of missing headers. Here is the post:

[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

@ryecoaaron coded the button to make it more easy to install the Proxmox kernel and the headers.

I like the situation that host and guest use the same kernel!

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Proxmox uses a newer ubuntu (/) kernel. It is newer than the backport kernel so should should support newer hardware and software if you need that.

At the moment proxmox uses kernel 4.13 while you get 4.14 from the backports. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I just ran across this thread. I just moved my OMV4 to my Proxmox server. What benefit comes with moving the current kernel to the proxmox kernel? I am not a developer type, just a user that is trying to get a grip on using virtualization.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Need to look into this more. As of this morning proxmox is switching to.

Code
    zfs-linux (0.7.13-pve1~bpo1) unstable; urgency=medium 
    * update ZFS to 0.7.13 
    * base zfs-linux on upstream ZOL instead of debian -- 
    Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com> Fri, 08 Mar 2019 06:53:00 +0100

Not sure if this might be a problem on OMV? Or if you could move OMV to the zfs-linux instead of debian? Kind of defeats the goal of simplicity.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure if this might be a problem on OMV? Or if you could move OMV to the zfs-linux instead of debian? Kind of defeats the goal of simplicity.

The only way to move the plugin to zfs-linux instead of debian would be to enable the proxmox repo all the time. That would update some packages that people may not want to do.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I like the situation that host and guest use the same kernel!

I missed this post - it makes sense when running guests on a virtualization platform.

Have you noticed, about how often the Proxmox kernel is updated? Does it at least "loosely" follow Debian kernel updates?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you noticed, about how often the Proxmox kernel is updated? Does it at least "loosely" follow Debian kernel updates?

Every couple of weeks. Basically whenever Ubuntu 18.04 updates the kernel.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using OMV in as a proxmox vm. I just wanted others to notice the change.

The only way to move the plugin to zfs-linux instead of debian would be to enable the proxmox repo all the time. That would update some packages that people may not want to do.

Proxmox uses the debian repo. Same as OMV?

Code
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free

# security updates
    deb http://security.debian.org stretch/updates main contrib non-free

and

Code
    #deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-enterprise

deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription

So unless something is in both it wont get updated from proxmox's repo. It could get messy if they overlap now or in the future. There are ways to manage that.

• Proxmox means two different things:

• A virtualization solution based on Debian userland but adding own packages via an own repo: http://download.proxmox.com/de…ubscription/binary-amd64/ (this repo also contains the pve-kernel package which is more or less based on latest Ubuntu Bionic kernel at this time)
    • Their kernel to be used with OMV and as such providing the ability to benefit from Ubuntu's great ZFS support

If you as an OMV user add the Proxmox repo and install the pve-kernel your only benefit is ZFS support. This is totally unrelated to the fact OMV can run inside Proxmox as virtual machine. Especially there's no real benefit from running the same kernel the hypervisor uses inside a VM (if you want to run the same kernel, then containerization is the way to go, virtualization is the variant where you want to be able to run a different kernel or even a different OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

install the pve-kernel your only benefit is ZFS support

That isn't the only benefit. You are basically using the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS kernel which is better supported/more stable than a backports kernel especially when the backports kernel is from an unreleased version (such is the case with the backports kernel currently from unreleased Debian 10).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!