Install Deluge and Sonarr manually or with docker?

• Hi everyone.
    I never used docker and I don't which are the pros and cons of installing a software using docker over manually installing it.
    In my case I only need to install Deluge and Sonarr.
    I have some questions:
    1) How does update programs works with docker? Will I be able to update sonarr and deluge while keeping every settings if I install them via docker?
    2) Can I enable external connection on deluge if I install it with docker? ( http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/ThinClient )
    3) How does permissions works? With plugin-ins they created dedicated users, should I do the same if I install them with docker or I can simply let them run as root?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• This is a pretty good primer for dockers. Keep in mind there is a certain amount of flexibility and user style in a document like that.

OMV + Docker plugin media server (Plex, PlexPy, Ombi, Libresonic, NZBGet, ruTorrent, Sonarr, Radarr, Mylar, and more)

1) As for updates, things like Sonarr have an update button within the program's settings. That's how you would update it if it was manually installed or installed via an OMV plugin. That may or may not be available in a docker, and even if it was I would be careful and probably not use that function unless you have read somewhere that it will not smash something. I would rather wait for whoever wrote the docker to update the docker, then upgrade to the new docker container.

2) Dockers have interfaces to allow network connections into and out of the container. You just have to make some decisions and set them up accordingly. As for the Thin Client on Deluge, that would have to be enabled by whoever wrote the container. Not sure if any of them have that or not. The few I have looked at had the Deluge Web interface, not the GTK GUI interface. That's what the docs are for - read them so see what any particular docker is capable of.

3) Dockers can be run with user and group rights. These are specified as environment variables and configured for the container. Just be sure the user and group you specify the container to run as are actually present on the system. You will have to look these up because they are passed in by numerical values, not names. I would not run any dockers as root unless that was somehow required by a particular docker. And if it was, I would look around some and see how other authors handled that. Then decide which docker to use.

Dockers can be confusing, so be patient. I would not dive in and load up a large number of dockers and try to get them all working at once. Pick one and experiment with it. Get happy with it before adding more into the mix. Getting dockers to properly talk to each other can be challenging. Things like Sonarr or Radarr talking to Deluge will probably be more difficult to get working as dockers compared to stand alone installations.

And don't assume you have to use a docker. My OMV 2 was upgraded to OMV 3 which was upgraded to OMV 4. The original Deluge manual install done on OMV 2 carried over to OMV 3, and then OMV 4 without any problems. I didn't see any need to rip all that out and use a docker.

Good luck.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 1) Since Sonarr have an automatic update built inside I think that it can handle his update by himself. My doubt are for Deluge: right now the latest docker image is 105 and have deluge 1.13.15. Tomorrow Deluge 1.13.16 will be release and linuxserve.io will release the docker image 106. If I upgrade the docker image for installing Deluge 1.3.16, will Deluge keep his settings?

2) I'm looking for that guide too :) I just create a docker for Deluge following the guid for rutorrent

3) I'll check in those days how it works, wish me luck :D

As you said, not everything needs to be installed via docker. I don't see any advantage at installing Plex with docker.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• 1) Like I said, that automatic within Sonarr might work, might not. I would definitely backup the configuration before trying it. Removing and installing the docker is trivial, do it it gets mangled, it's no big deal. But if you didn't backup your configuration, then you get rebuild all that by hand.

Deluge keeps its configuration files in a directory called .config. Where you place that is up to you so long as you tell the docker about it. I would back that up too before upgrading no matter how the upgrade is done. I've been running Deluge 1.13.15 for ages, and I'm not in any hurry to update it. The normal apt update procedure will handle that for me once the new packages make it into the PPA I use for this.

As long as OMV provides a plugin for something, I will use it rather than a docker.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Ok ,first problem here: I've instelled deluge via docker everything is working until I try to download a torrent, then I get this error:
    Read-only file system: /media/RAID1/Torrent/[[Incompleti]]

This are the Docker permission:

And these are the Folder Permission:

What I'm doing wrong? :( Why can't DockerUser write inside the Torrent folder?

• The docker is running as user 1000, group 100. What OMV system user:group do those correspond to and do they have write permissions to that folder?

I also see in the Docker Volumes and Bind Mounts permissions table you have all that stuff set read only. Fix that first.

--

• The docker is running as user 1000, group 100. What OMV system user:group do those correspond to and do they have write permissions to that folder?

I also see in the Docker Volumes and Bind Mounts permissions table you have all that stuff set read only. Fix that first.

root@delibird:~# id DockerUser
    uid=1000(DockerUser) gid=100(users) groups=100(users)

What is set to Read only? I think that only my mother user is set to RO while the other two are R/W

• In your first picture, in the Volume and Bind Mounts table you have all those entries set to read only (R/O). Change them away from that setting by sliding the button to the left.

• I totally didn't noticed that green check! Now I corrected them an the error is changed to "Permission denied" even if dockeruser is set to R/W in both ACL and privileges :(

• What user:group were you running Deluge before you moved to the docker? You should try running the docker as the same user:group.

--

• It's a clean install, with the old install I used the user created by the deluge plug-in

• I think you mangled your directory ownership, permissions, and ACL stuff to the point it may never work. Can you put all that back the way it was and run the docker as a user:group that would be compatible?

--

• How should I do that? :( I need to boot with the old omv 3 installation? And once that I'm on the old installation what should I do?
    Can't I correct the permissions from the new one?

Send by my Sony XZ1 using Tapatalk

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• You should be able to correct those things if you know what to set them as. That information would probably be best obtained from your OMV 3 install where deluge was working. Try booting into OMV 3 and look at all that stuff and take good notes. Then boot into OMV 4 and change the same things to agree with the way they were in OMV 3. Might work, might not. I'm not sure.

--

• IN OMV3 the Torrent folder had RW for Sonarr and Deluge User and Group plus my user. Evertything else was unchecked.
    Tonight I'll check if I'll be able to boot with OMV3, but I'm pretty sure that those were the old permission

• I run my dockers as my myusername:users. The ownership on the drives and folders are the same.

In OMV Access Right Management | Shared Folders I do NOT set any Privileges or ACL.

I manually set the ownership (myusername:users) and permissions 2755 (directories) 0644 (files) recursively on all the appropriate directories and files in the shell.

The first thing I would do is change the docker to run as your user:users.

--

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• This are the permission of the Torrent folder:

I think 1000 is the DockerUser from OMV4

What should I do? :(

• I can't make any sense of that screenshot. As I said I do not set any permissions or ACL in OMV. Every check box on that screen is blank on my OMV.

In a shell, get the permissions and ownership of the folder using ls -al.

Compare those obtained in the shell with the PGID and PUID you are running in the docker.

--

• That's the result, I really don't understand how to read :(

Also this is the torrent folder

Code
    root@Delibird:/media/RAID1/Dati/Torrent# ls -al
    total 6753072
    drwxrwsrw-+ 11 root users      12288 Feb  5 00:54 .
    drwxrwsr-x+ 21 root users       4096 Jan 23 19:08 ..
    drwxrwsrw-+  2 root users       4096 Jan 28 08:53 [[Incompleti]]

• I don't run things here with the permissions and ownerships set like yours. Almost all your folders are owned by root, and I have no idea why you would want to do that.

I suggest you give up on deluge via docker until you have a standard working deluge via manual install.

Once you have a conventional install working properly, you should be able to get a docker running and configured to work with your drives, folders, and files and their ownerships and permissions.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!