cant find shares on windows 10

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• cant find shares on windows 10

Hi,

I just installed OMV .94 for the third time on an old intel machine. Worked good so far. I further created a SMB share but am not be able to even see it on my windows machine. Network interface via browser works fine. SSH via putty works fine too.

What I did to solve my problem:

- worked through every single step of the SMB/problem thread
      - enabled everything which includes smb on my windows machine
      - tryed to find it with firewall disabled
      - set the workgroup name to "workgroup"

A share has been created, a user has been created, privileges have been set.

I hope someone can help me.
    • Edit: 17 Mar 2018:

For users searching for help with Windows 10 being able to connect to OMV shares - see this HOW TO.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm going to assume you have file and folder sharing on, along with network discovery. Also, you could confirm that this is a Win10 issue by looking for your shares with a Win8 or Win 7 client. (A laptop?)

You might consider using this command in Windows Power shell:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB3Protocol $false

Here's more info on the above:
      support.microsoft.com/en-us/he…-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

The problem is Windows 10 is pushing progressively newer versions the SMB protocol. If you can get Win10 to use SMB2, your shares may appear.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 2 times, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Why are you running OMV .94? You'd be better off, with SMB, to run at least OMV 3.X

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Hi,

file and folder sharing is on, so is network discovery (I can find other computers).

A second Windows 10 machine is not able to see the NAS. A Windows 7 machine is also not able too.

I tried:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol 1Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol 1

both have been accepted but don't seem to work.

What is a good way to see, if the SMB shares actually work? Can I somehow ping them or so?
    • You could try mounting OMV as a network drive in Windows Explorer, using OMV's IP address and a share name.
      Map a network drive with something like this, in the Folder field: \\192.168.1.50\music

If you want to verify that network sharing is working, set up a network share on a Win10 machine and give "everyone" read access. If the rest of your PC's see the share, go from there.

Things to think about:
      Firewalls: If you have firewalls on these boxes, with security set to high on the local network, each PC is a network island. All that's going to work (in many cases) is port 80 for a web browser. If each of your machines are set with your local network as "public", the SMB protocol is not allowed. Your local network should be "trusted" or have "low" security. You could disconnect the WAN side of your router and turn whatever you're using for a firewall off for testing.

An active Homegroup: This can cause problems with a workgroup.

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Have you set up OMV before?

To get a visible network share you'd have to.

1. Set up a shared folder. (Until you get permissions figured out, it's best to give Everyone Read/Write.)
      2. Add the shared folder above to an SMB/CIF share. (This makes the folder visable on a Windows network. In the SMB/CIF settings Tab, as you mentioned, you'd need to set the workgroup and enable SMB. In the SMB share make sure "Guests are allowed".)

If you're not sure of the above process, please advise.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • flmaxey wrote:

Have you set up OMV before?

To get a visible network share you'd have to.

1. Set up a shared folder. (Until you get permissions figured out, it's best to give Everyone Read/Write.)
      2. Add the shared folder above to an SMB/CIF share. (This makes the folder visable on a Windows network. In the SMB/CIF settings Tab, as you mentioned, you'd need to set the workgroup and enable SMB. In the SMB share make sure "Guests are allowed".)

If you're not sure of the above process, please advise.
      Yes, I set up a Raspberry Pi 3 with some 3.x Version. That was no problem at all and everything worked immediately. I have to mention, that I was using another version of Windows 10 back then.

I also configured that two steps before.

I think i will set up another OMV on a Raspberry Pi. Maybe my hardware is limiting somehow!?
    • chocolover wrote:

I think i will set up another OMV on a Raspberry Pi. Maybe my hardware is limiting somehow!?
      While it would be impossible to say anything with 100% certainty (1% issues happen), I doubt that the hardware has anything to do with it. If you can ping our Intel box or view the Web GUI, it's on the network and you know that port 80 works.

That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to config up an R-PI. It doesn't take long to build OMV (15 to 20 minutes) and it could rule out a hardware issue. This would also verify whether or not your configuration is correct.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • I'm going to take it that Mapping a Windows Network Drive failed:

While there are very minor differences between the builds (x64 versus ARM), the outcome should be nearly identical.
      You said "old intel" box. How old? (Old is a relative term. :) ) It must be a 64bit PC or the standard ISO wouldn't / shouldn't work.

Just to be sure and cover the bases, run a hash check on the download you have MD5 / SHA Utility (the checksums are with the ISO file). It it doesn't match, (corruption) download again.

If that doesn't work, since you have 64bit software, you might give OMV 4.0 a try. It's based on the latest Debian (9) which may have bug fixes or better support for your particular hardware. (For that matter, it wouldn't hurt to give OMV 2.X a try. Since you've done it a few times, the builds go quickly - 10 to 15 minutes.)

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • CPU is an Intel Atom 230, it is 64bit.

Anyway, my problem is solved now. Let me tell you what I did.

Somewhere I read (can't find it anymore), that a person had issues with the installation, when he manually restarted the machine after the last message of the routine. Never did that.
      Additionaly I have been using a CF card as my OS drive, which I changed to a real harddrive.

Changing this, I suddenly had success. Shares are visible immediateley. Everythings works fine!

Can't tell exactly if the problem was not waiting for automatic restart after the installation or chaging the OS drive.
    • Compact Flash,, that goes back a bit. (I see it's still available from some outlets.)

In any case, all's well that ends well.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • While I almost said it before - now it appears we're definitely into the 1% territory.
      And it seems possible that this might be an "intermittent" issue of some kind. If it is, that's bad news. You can chase your tail endlessly trying to run it down. (Atom 64 processor? Is it an Acer home server?)

I'd do the check sum, if you haven't done so already, then maybe try OMV 4.X? There are a few different versions to try, 2.X, etc., but realize this; OMV is really a high level, easy to use configuration tool for the underlying operating system, "Debian". If there's a hardware compatibility issue of some kind, it's with Debian, not OMV.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • keefypants wrote:

I am having the same issue with my raspberry pi 3 b. Whether it is using OMV or manually installing samba through terminal, I cannot map networkdrive on windows 10. I do not have any computers that are not on win10 to test. I can ssh using putty and webconfig works too.
      Can you borrow a Win7 Laptop?

I don't have Win10 and since Windows has been transformed into spyware (my opinion), I refuse to upgrade. I'm tired of the M$ merry-go-round. Windows is too fragile, it's too bloated and they mess around with it too much. Server Messaging Block (SMB) is just one example. When the Win boxes I have are out of the support cycle, I'm going to Linux Mint. If I need Win for some odd ball app, I'll use a VM.

(Getting off the soap box..... :) )

@keefypants If you've used Windows Power shell, you can give the following a try. (No guarantees.)

Run Power Shell as administrator and try these lines:

Source Code

1. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
      2. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true
      3. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB3Protocol $false

FYI: While SMB1 is probably disabled on the majority of Win10 boxes as part of a recent security change, you can reverse the only real change the above would actually make with the following line:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB3Protocol $true

Then edit your OMV SMB share. At the bottom, in Extra options, copy in the following lines and save:

client min protocol = SMB2
      client max protocol = SMB2

Let us know if it worked for you.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • To see my NAS and shared folders I have to go to Explorer/Network

In the title bar I enter

\\name_of_nas.local

Was the only way it worked for me after I disables SMB1 on Windows10.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - Seagate ST4000DM004 - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - 16GB - 2x Seagate ST3000VN000 - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems in OMV - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation :!:
    • All - I recently bought a Windows 10 machine that wouldn't connect with my OMV server. With a platform to work with, I attempted to worked out as many Windows 10 issues as I find, that would prevent connections to an OMV server.

Take a look at this -> How-To and let me know if it works for you.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest