Update/CloudBackup Question

• Hello Folks.

Before I beging I want to let you all know this is more like a "need an advice" topic then a "help with a problem" one.

I've been using OMV for a while now (as my company NAS), I only use it for SFTP and SAMBA/CIFS Shares on my network. Currently we're running a Stoneburner copy, up to date to the latest updates.

Recently the idea of making backups or hiring a service like BlackBlaze arose in our office. Our goal is to put an encripted copy of our server out of our own facilities. This way, if something happens we can have another copy of our files in another safe location.

So I was encharged of making this happen with some requirements:

• The backup will be done automatically without me or other person having to trigger it. (a scheadule tool or plugin would be nice)
    • Ensure data encription on the process is a must have.
    • Low to none cost. (except for the backup plan itself)
    • No network / hardware changes.
    • No data Loss.

Ok so my first idea was to mention OMV latest version and the fact that it has a plugin for Blackblaze (sort of). And I got a White flag for doing it.

Now that I've explained all the situation here's my questions:

• Do Stoneburner has a "backup-to-cloud" plugin (blackblaze in mind) or should I upgrade? To which version?
    • Is BlackBlaze the best cloud backup service to run with OMV or you guys have a better alternative?
    • If BlackBlaze is indeed a good choice anyone has done it? any guides or advices on the process?

Thanks in advance;

Johnny :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use Duplicati to backup to Backblaze B2.
    But it also works with lots of other providers.

Make sure to use OMV4 for Duplicati (due to mono).

https://www.duplicati.com/

It says "beta" but it is working fine for me and a lot of other people (see also duplicati forum).

• Thanks Macom for your time attention and tips.

My only concern is that the OMV 4.0 version is not stable yet... For a Home environment it might be ok... But am I risking my bussiness server with a testing version?

I could play safe and go to pure Debian 9, but I really like OMV and it has been with me for ages...

• Offizieller Beitrag

But am I risking my bussiness server with a testing version?

I could play safe and go to pure Debian 9, but I really like OMV and it has been with me for ages...

If you are using OMV for business, then you shouldn't have the plugins installed that would make OMV 4.x unstable. OMV 4.x is pure Debian 9. It just has a web interface to change settings. If you are like me and rarely change settings on your production server, it will be just as stable as Debian 9.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you are using OMV for business, then you shouldn't have the plugins installed that would make OMV 4.x unstable. OMV 4.x is pure Debian 9. It just has a web interface to change settings. If you are like me and rarely change settings on your production server, it will be just as stable as Debian 9.

Thanks Ryecoaaron.
    I like to say that I've been in the forum in the past and you guys always helped me so much! I love this community!

Like I've said I'm a OMV user already (stoneburner) and the only things I use it for are samba-cifs shares and a SFTP server... I would also use it for a B2 backup like the post is saying. If that is stable as Debian 9 itself then I don't see why not using it.

Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!