Rsync-Job on Bootup

• Hi,

Have a Server here and a second machine on a QNap Nas either with omv 3. Set it up to backup from Server -> Nas after the tutorial here. Is it possible that I set up the Nas so, that it starts the rsync job on boot-time? Similar to usbbackup?

BTW, how is the performance of a remote rsync-Job compared to usbbackup on a external usb 3.0 Disk? How can I mesure it?

Bye Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• Hi Micha, I think you know how rsync works? It's an incremental backup. So only this files that has been changed will be copied. The first backup will take some time and after that you could schedule a task that rsync is running every xx minutes. So if changes happens to one machine the other get this changes a little bit later. But you do not have to copy the entire storage. If your usb disk is mounted to your system you could even rsync to the disk.

One thing to measure the traffic of your nas is to check the OID of your NIC with Nagios, Prtg or some other monitoring tool.

Kind regards

SYN-RST

„Unsere Jugend ist heruntergekommen und zuchtlos. Die jungen Leute hören nicht mehr auf ihre Eltern. Das Ende der Welt ist nahe“ (Keilschrifttext, Chaldäa, um 2000 v. Chr.)

• Ok Micha,

now I understand, what you want. You want that the nas is pulling the data to it, after it has finished it's starting process. I haven't tried that. My clients sends a Wake on LAN-Paket to the NAS and then push the data via a rsync-Job. Another job on my nas is sending it to hybernation / standby, when there is an idle time of 20 minutes.

„Unsere Jugend ist heruntergekommen und zuchtlos. Die jungen Leute hören nicht mehr auf ihre Eltern. Das Ende der Welt ist nahe“ (Keilschrifttext, Chaldäa, um 2000 v. Chr.)

• Please blame me ... but is this not a little complicated? Wake up, hibernate ...

"Die Jugend von heute liebt den Luxus, hat schlechte Manieren und verachtet die Autorität. Sie widersprechen ihren Eltern, legen die Beine übereinander und tyrannisieren ihre Lehrer." Sokrates, gr. Philosoph, 470-399 v.Chr

Q29000-ITX

• Ok thats maybe a commandline job I guess. This idea is not bullet proof, so don't sue me.

Why don't you make a startup script and tells rsync it should do a restore job to your backup nas.

Have a look here or here, but I wouldn't mess too much with the rc.local. The rsync command should look similar to this

Code
    rsync -aAXv /path/to/backup/location/* /mount/point/of/new/install/ --exclude={/dev/*,/proc/*,/sys/*,/tmp/*,/run/*,/mnt/*,/media/*,/lost+found,/home/*}

Look at the manpage for the correct switches. But I think in this case the restore command will copy all data and you loose the advantage of incremental backup.

By the way, kind regards from Hamburg.

• By now i'm familiar with your approach to do it timed every hour ... will hava a look at the start scripts but only copying the folder which representsthe shares (with me it is as a source 192.168.178.10:/media/data/ and as a target /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA15S72D-part3/backup

so it have to bee:
    rsync -avv 192.168.178.10:/media/data/ /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA15S72D-part3/backup/

but why wont this function (ok i have to activate the job):

Q29000-ITX

• My guess would be an issue with the permisson of the user, who is starting the job.

• Aber das kann doch nicht sein, sonst ist der Menupunkt doch obsolet und von der shell aus funktioniert er ... scnr

Q29000-ITX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!