SBC Buying Advice to run OMV

• Hi,

Firstly to open an apology...... as I first posted this on the Rock64 forum, then the Odroid forum - at which point the thought hit me that what I should have been doing is posting on the OMV forum. So, an apology if you've already seen this. I'm straying from my goto SBC which like for many is the Rpi3 and not sure what to get.

Basically, want to connect a TerraMaster USB3 RAID Enclosure link to a SBC for use as a NAS running a backup destination over rSync for a Synology NAS aswell as SMB/AFP/SSH backup destination for a Mac running Chronosync.

In terms of boards I need gigabit and USB3 so currently and had my mind completely set on the Odroid XU4 - but now have stumbled upon the Rock64 and into a world of confusion.

Does either of these stand out as better for what I'm trying to achieve?

thanks,

Dan

• Basically, want to connect a TerraMaster USB3 RAID Enclosure link to a SBC for use as a NAS

Why on earth? Those USB3 attached SPoFs (single points of failure) are way too expensive, aren't they. Just had a look: https://geizhals.eu/terramaster-d5-300-a1483075.html

For less than that you get a HP MicroServer which is the way better idea than SBC + such an USB RAID thingie.

• Hi, thanks for your reply and its a case of using what I already have..... so the only cost (which I wanted to keep low) will be the SBC.

The Synology that will backing up to it is on RAID 1 and the Mac has a Promise Pegasus R6 running RAID 50 (iirc) so I'm ok with its flaws.

Any thoughts on the Rock64 vs the XU4 for this use case?

• Any thoughts on the Rock64 vs the XU4 for this use case?

Sure, there's a whole thread about this: Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards (somewhere in the middle it might get interesting)

Based on my experiences with USB3-A receptacle crappiness I would prefer ROCK64 (or EspressoBin).

• Thank you, thats where I was heading..... though will look up the EspressoBin.

I had been reading that thread but no direct question of one vs another - that I saw (will read again, some of the info is above my head) also that it kind of depended what you wanted to do with them so wanted to explain my use case. However I had picked up that if anyone would know, it'd be you so I appreciate the reply.

I don't suppose you know of a UK supplier? ...also was thinking about casing it inside a Rpi Flirc case but then those will probably be questions for the Rock64 forum.

Dan

• I had been reading that thread but no direct question of one vs another

Yep, but some of the downsides of USB3 attached storage are mentioned and why USB3-A can be simply PITA especially if cable jacks and receptacles do not fit tightly (that's the 'XU4 problem' so far but if you know about it, take care and fixate jable/jack appropriately then there's nothing wrong with XU4).

Wrt availability and cases better ask ROCK64 folks themselves. And just a little warning: while EspressoBin would be the nicer board for the general use case (since SATA and PCIe is also there) you won't benefit that much with your approach and also EspressoBin requires at least a little knowledge how to deal with serial console and bootloader (see also at the end of the aforementioned thread).

• Great, much appreciated..... in terms of memory I'm just working on the approach go for 4gb as even if it doesn't benefit me straight away I might repurpose in the future.

USB fitment aside (which I will research) does that change the Rock64 over XU4 recommendation?

• USB fitment aside (which I will research) does that change the Rock64 over XU4 recommendation?

No. RK3328 is the more modern SoC, has ARMv8 crypto extensions so dealing with AES (disk encryption / VPN) is magnitudes faster than on the old Exynos used on XU4, and there's some good progress wrt VPU support (talking about HW accelerated video transcoding which is something many people like when thinking about a media centric NAS).

But... since you AFAIK get ROCK64 only directly from their online shop then shipping from Shenzhen and XU4 maybe just around the corner in UK... for your use case it doesn't really matter which of the two you choose.

• Why on earth? Those USB3 attached SPoFs (single points of failure) are way too expensive, aren't they. Just had a look: https://geizhals.eu/terramaster-d5-300-a1483075.html
    For less than that you get a HP MicroServer which is the way better idea than SBC + such an USB RAID thingie.

Hello, I have been using a WDMycloud (first generation) NAS. I had been using this NAS with a DAS (8 bay JBOD from sans digital) I have been using USB 3.0 but it does also have two esata ports.

I have been reading the different posts by tkaiser regarding the Rock64 and thought it would be better than this WD Mycloud. I read how I could convert this WDMycloud to use OMV (@ Fox_exe) But HW seems limited.

@tkaiser any idea about the new RockPro64 worth waiting? considering I will only be using for NAS; main purpose is using Shield TV to mount shares and stream movies / TV Shows to 4K TV. WDMycloud was falling short even after all optimizations on 4K@60Hz. with additinal 1080p streams.

Question; any benefit to wait for the RockPro64 or go with the Rock64 as did Jerryfudd.

I assume Jerryfudd is Happy with his purchase??

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!