Does openmediavault alter disk data?

• I'm thinking of testing this but I want to know if the existing data is altered in any way during the install and/or use of openmediavault? It would be nice if I could go back to windows if this isn't working as I want.

• The disk you install OMV to via an ISO installer will be completely overwritten, all the existing data will be lost, and there is no way back.

Other disks in the machine will not be touched during the install, but best practice is to disconnect the cables to these disks to make certain that you do not make a mistake and choose the wrong disk to install OMV to.

Once the install is finished you can shut the machine down and reconnect the other disks.

There is nothing in OMV other than popup warning boxes that will protect the data on non-system disks. If you choose, either accidentally or on purpose, to perform an operation that will wipe a disk of all its existing data, OMV will do it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Word of advise:

If you install OMV on a USB pen drive, be sure to get the plugin for minimizing disk writes: openmediavault-flashmemory 4.1. I think it comes with the OMV-Extras. Even so, keep a backup of it, or at least the configuration.

Pen Drives die and it's a bit of a pain to set it back running again, specially when there's plenty of customization being done. Been there, didn't do that...thankfully it didn't have much configs to setup.

• A little follow up question then, that I can't find the answer to when I look in the forums... Can I mount/access data on my old disks that are formatted with NTFS?

Yes.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!