HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help

• OMV 3.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help

hi guys iv setup shares on OMV and i can see it on my network list on my windows 10 pc but cant access it iv gone back through all the settings on OMV and checked all my settings in windows to do with sharing i even unplug my router from the outside world and disabled my firewall on pc and the router im stumped
    • @ Drakeoss: Does your windows client pop up an error messages? Does the event viewer in windows gave you any hint, why it couldn't access the network drive? Or do you only get a timeout? Is your NAS in the same IP-Range as your windows-clients or are you using VLANs?

Did you look into the logs of your NAS. Do you went to the cli and looked at the messages?

Logs are the holy grail of the IT. Normaly you could find in them the answer to your incident. What your first post discribe is a chicken run, but no problem solving.
      And if that didn't solve your problem sniff the nics and look what Whireshark is telling you.

But I agree with jollyrogr, that you likely have an issue with your permissions on the filesystem or with the service permissions.
      „Unsere Jugend ist heruntergekommen und zuchtlos. Die jungen Leute hören nicht mehr auf ihre Eltern. Das Ende der Welt ist nahe“ (Keilschrifttext, Chaldäa, um 2000 v. Chr.)
    • Drakeoss wrote:

i like the way that people on this forum read your post but leave no feed back
      Man,, what if someone reading your post couldn't answer your question? Would you want every one of them to say;
      Can't help you, Don't know, Can't help you, Beats me, etc., etc. ?

Also, please understand what "free" means. If you got nothing from this forum, you'd be getting exactly what you what you paid for. AND, I think you'll find that the open source community is far more responsive (and forgiving) than tech support for paid products.

With that said, here's a free bit of advice. Our patient and understanding users above @SYN-RST and @jollyrogr are right, this is almost always a permissions issue.

For the base shared folder: Click on the Shared Folder, then the ACL button. Set permissions for "Others" to Read/Write/Exec.
      In your SMB share: Set the Public field to "Guests are allowed" and save.

Next time, why don't you share a few other pertinent details. (Error dialogs / messages?) Users of the forum can't assess the situation from remote, without a bit more info. We have talent here but, to the best of my knowledge, no one can read minds.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Sorrry guys I wasn't in the right frame of mind yesterday after a couple of installs and trying to work out what I was doing wrong I wound myself up and if its any consolation I had to apologise to the misses too but back to my problem and no I don't mean my temper lol

I have checked what flmaxey suggested and the settings are how suggested, the problem is windows I think I get this after double clicking in the network browser

• hi @jollyrogr yes smb/cifs service is running i have made multiple shares with different disks and have them all running in the hope that windows will let me access one of them im am unable to use a different client because of the lack of one lol im starting to loss intrest in OMV as it has been made out as a really easy to use os but i cant even get it to do the most basic of things (a share) iv watched vids on youtube to make sure i haven't changed a setting or something stupid its quite frustrating
    • right up date time guys i have installed mint in a vm on my windows pc and im in iv got access to OMV but mint cant access windows files over the network so i think its time to say good bye to windows once and for all never liked it anyway the deeping i get into the it world and what i want to do with it the more i hate the idea of using windows ill get myself a cheap mini pc running win 7 to download package and that will do me linex here i come
    • Ok maybe its the nameservice. Could you ping the nas with its name. What happend if you try to connect with the ip? Has your nas a firewall active that denys Port udp/137 (Netbios Name Service)? Or is the Windows Firewall active? Or has your Virus Scanner an own firewall solution? I don't think that you are running your own local dns server, am I right?

Thats the reason I access at home all devices over their ip. I don't want to even think about nameservices.
      „Unsere Jugend ist heruntergekommen und zuchtlos. Die jungen Leute hören nicht mehr auf ihre Eltern. Das Ende der Welt ist nahe“ (Keilschrifttext, Chaldäa, um 2000 v. Chr.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by SYN-RST ().

• SYN-RST wrote:

Ok maybe its the nameservice. Could you ping the nas with its name. What happend if you try to connect with the ip? Has your nas a firewall active that denys Port udp/137 (Netbios Name Service)? Or is the Windows Firewall active? Or has your Virus Scanner an own firewall solution? I don't think that you are running your own local dns server, am I right?

Thats the reason I access at home all devices over their ip. I don't want to even think about nameservices.
      @SYN-RST While I test local DNS, to cover the bases, I configure using only IP addresses as well. There's no point in doing a local lookup if it's not necessary.

@Drakeoss Have you ever used Power Shell in Win 10? If so, run it as administrator and try these lines:

Source Code

1. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
      2. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true
      3. Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB3Protocol $false
      4. Get-SmbServerConfiguration
      While SMB1 is probably disabled on the majority of Win10 boxes as part of recent security upgrades, you can reverse the only real change the above would actually make with the following line:

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB3Protocol $true

Edit your SMB share. At the bottom, in Extra options, copy in the following lines and save:

client min protocol = SMB2
      client max protocol = SMB2
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing