Old PC to new "NAS" -- DONE !!!

• Finally almost done ...
    - Missing the new HDD
    - Missing my second Icydock MB153SP-B FATCAGE, the delivery is lost in the french snow ... LAST PIECE ARRIVED 5 days later !!!

Unfortunately, openmediavault 4 did not do the trick for me, so i did my own NAS based on:

Nextcloud server 13.0.0
    based A8-6500 8GO RAID6 6*8TO
    4.9.0-5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04)
    / apache 2.4.29 / php 7.0.27 / 10.1.26-MariaDB / mysqlnd 5.0.12
    / phpadmin 4.6.6deb4 / Redis server v=3.2.6 / HTTP2 / Fail2ban abuseIPDB /

I just notice the image are blocked and need to be followed one-by-one.

Sorry for that. Here a direct link to my nextcloud gallery: nextcloud.rkn.ovh/index.php/s/3yp93A7oNMPexcp

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    French, so forgive my english
    Personal Rig: https://valid.x86.fr/v72uek as a test bench with Oracle VM.
    And YES, my avatar is real, i am flying "parapentes" in St Hilaire du Touvet and at la coupe icare.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von stratege1401 () aus folgendem Grund: cosmetic + final touch

• Looks like a soild build and I hope you have more luck with your icy dock then me. My ICYDock, the disk are stored vertical, has a heating problem on my rendering pc.

„Unsere Jugend ist heruntergekommen und zuchtlos. Die jungen Leute hören nicht mehr auf ihre Eltern. Das Ende der Welt ist nahe“ (Keilschrifttext, Chaldäa, um 2000 v. Chr.)

• yes, i was aware of overheating problem when the dock is larger than 3 HDD ...

This is why i choose 2 unit of 3x Fatcage. still waiting for the second unit to come, delay due to weather...

• adding my two cents for the built:

- use sticker to put the ID on your hdd, and map them

Code
    cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid6 sdd1[3] sdb1[1] sda1[0] sde1[4] sdc1[2]
          2929886208 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
          bitmap: 0/8 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

Code
    sda1	STF607MH3NNTZK   ----> fatcage1 p2
    sdb1	JP2940HZ2XSJJC   ----> Temp internal top
    sdc1	WD-WCC6Y6AYU911  ----> fatcage1 p3
    sdd1	WD-WCAV5D807897  ----> fatcage1 p1
    sde1	JP2940HZ2XX7AC   ----> Temp internal bottom
    sdg     temporary usb    ----> n/a

In case of failure, easier to fix. you wont have to search for the good disk

• I just notice the image are blocked and need to be followed one-by-one.

Sorry for that. Here a direct link to my nextcloud gallery: https://nextcloud.rkn.ovh/index.php/s/3yp93A7oNMPexcp

• Hello,

It's been more than a years (18 month ) since this built was made.
    And some things have changed...

So, here my little story.
    The big change was i quit my ISP "ORANGE" with it's livebox Ftth. The contract i had was a 1Gb/s - 300Mb/s.
    Now, I am using FREE as my new ISP, with a box called "DELTA". I now have 10 Gb/s - 600 Mb/s. That DELTA box is providing SFP+ connection.

I had to update my network hardware so i bought an Microtik Optical switch : https://mikrotik.com/product/crs305_1g_4s_in featuring four SFP+ ports, for up to 10 Gbit per port.
    I choose some 10G DAC/OAC from fs.com ( 2 X 3m DAC ref:SFPP-PC03 and one OAC-15M ref:SFPP-AO15 )
    I had to quit my motherboard copper nic to Intel X520-DA2 (5.0 GT/s, x8 Lane)

It's good, but i am still bottlenecked by the SATA disk on my server.
    But on my devel rigs, who used nvme ssd, it is faster than light. Really fun !
    My disk setup move from raid6 1 Array to a raid60 with 2 Array Capacity 16 TB
    Speed gain 4x read speed, no write speed gain
    Fault tolerance At least 2-drive failure. Two disk from each RAID6 set can fail without data loss.

Upgraded the server ram from 8 GB to 32 GB.
    Overall usage is fine. I did hope to use omv4 but ...
    I have now 53 users on it . Family members ( 7 ) and customers ( 3 free users, 43 paying customers ) mostly medical office and architect.
    I have reach 36% of my 16 To storage capacity.

But, as a NAS server, even using raid60 needs a backup, i am using a nightly backup to a cloned NAS. Yep, i now have TWO nas server. For simplicity, i build the exact same machine.

The economic depreciation was reach at +14 months for the first server. Witch is now 18 month old. My wife say's it is time he move out !!!
    The second server is now 10 month old.

In 18 months, over the 16 HDD, i had one disk failure. Hopefully, i had bought my disk through a "seagate champion partner" and i was still under warranty.

My plans are quiet simple.
    - Adding more paying customers.
    - Moving out one of the server to a hosting company ( the home uptime is not professional ). 3 month from now.
    - planning the future as my 16 TO will be one day reach ( hopefully ).

Planning the future is kind of tricky. My paying customers have so far no concern for the reactivity of the server ( speed of the server himself and bandwidth ) but i do !
    I may start to plan for a new hardware set. Larger and newer processor. raid pci 2.0 controllers .... who knows. Bandwidth will depend on my future hosting solution.

And the data capability. I have reach 36 % of 16 TO. If i reach 75%, i will start to plan to have more space.
    - Upgrading the array by switching 4 TO HDD to 10/12 TO HDD.
    - Planning an hardware upgrade to SSD ( reallllly expensive ), and in that case, i will need hardware PCI controller. Maybe in 5 to 8 years.

And, as i have now one employee in my small business, i want to simplify the back office management. Here come OMV5, witch is now more align with my needs. So, testing time come again !!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!