Struggling to get a usb HDD mounted to RPi3

• First, I am very new to this, so I will need things explained like I am an idiot.

I am trying to set up a RPi3 with a 1TB usb HDD with OMV.

Initially, the HDD I used was using a NTFS file system (this I know) in a single partition (I think).

I hooked the HDD up, but did NOT wipe it. It showed up under "File Systems", and I was able to mount it, create a shared folder, give users access to the folder. However, I could not map the NAS drive from my computer.

In researching an answer to this, I came to realize that OMV does not like NTFS, and that I should use ext4 file system.

So, I figured I should WIPE the HDD in OMV and start over.
    Under "Physical Disks", I wiped it using the "quick" option. The HDD is empty, so assume that "quick" is OK. When I do that, the "wiping" dialogue box says this:

>Creating new GPT entries.
    >GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
    >other utilities.
    >1+0 records in
    >1+0 records out
    >4194304 bytes (4.2 MB) copied, 0.0380216 s, 110 MB/s

>
    >Done ...

When I go to "File Systems", the HDD is not shown there, so I cannot mount it.

MY QUESTIONS:

1) I am getting that I need to partition the disc, but how many partitions should I use? One I assume?
    2) is there a way to do this in OMV?
    3) How do I then format it with ext4? Is that something that OMV will do?

I studied about 5 different on-line instructions on how to set up OMV on a RPi3, and every one was different. Some had me wipe the HDD, some did not. So I am a little confused about that part.

The OS is this one: OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img

Thanks for any help on this!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have a look at the videos linked in the signature below.

Regarding your questions all you need to do:

• create a filesystem on the drive using the GUI; you can select the type to use, e.g. ext4 as you mention; this is "format it with ext4" as you call it
    • mount the filesystem in the GUI
    • if you want to see content on the filesystem on your WIndows machine, you need to create a SMB/CIFS shared folder for it

It is all shown in the videos, so watch them first.

• Thank you for the response.

Are there versions of those videos that are not gifs? I had tried to watch them before posting here, but they are incomprehensible to me: No sound/narration/explanation, they move extremely fast, and I can't pause them or repeat a section to see what they are doing.

Regarding using the GUI as you indicate: How do I do any of that if the HDD is not showing up in the "file systems" tab?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Regarding using the GUI as you indicate: How do I do any of that if the HDD is not showing up in the "file systems" tab?

Click "create" to create a new filesystem. Then a new window opens where you can select the HDD to create the new filesystem.
    If you cannot select a HDD there is probably no space left on any drive to add an additional file system.

• Click "create" to create a new filesystem. Then a new window opens where you can select the HDD to create the new filesystem.If you cannot select a HDD there is probably no space left on any drive to add an additional file system.

That is exactly what I was looking for!! The HDD is now using ext4 and mounted.

Many thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!