SMB Share not showing up in windows 10 anymore.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SMB Share not showing up in windows 10 anymore.

Hello, I've had my OMV NAS up and running for almost an year, had my SMB share setup and emby server setup, everything was working fine. Last week all of a sudden my SMB shares wouldn't appear under networks, the emby server shows up as emby media device though. I can still connect to the NAS fine through browser and can access emby just fine from my other devices. I tried updating OMV to the latest release and the new kernal but smb still doesn't appear. smbstatus in cli gives me this result.

Samba version 4.2.14-Debian
      PID Username Group Machine Protocol Version
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Failed to initialize session_global: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
      Service pid machine Connected at
      -------------------------------------------------------
      Failed to initialize session_global: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
      Failed to traverse sessions: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Locked files:
      Pid Uid DenyMode Access R/W Oplock SharePath Name Time
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should mention that I'm not in the same country as the NAS itself, I connect to a windows 10 pc on the same network as the nas to access the omv settings through browser and use shell in a box for direct access to the nas cli. so reinstalling OMV isn't really an option. Thanks for any help.
    • Update: I can access the sever manually by entering the sever IP into File Explorer.

Also I made a mistake of logging into cli as a user account instead of root, under root, this is what I get for smbstatus

Samba version 4.2.14-Debian
      PID Username Group Machine Protocol Version
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1229 Shura users 192.168.1.73 (ipv4:192.168.1.73:49716) SMB3_00
      Service pid machine Connected at
      -------------------------------------------------------
      Media 1229 192.168.1.73 Sun Feb 11 06:00:59 2018
      Locked files:
      Pid Uid DenyMode Access R/W Oplock SharePath Name Time
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      1229 1000 DENY_NONE 0x100081 RDONLY NONE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media Media/Videos Sun Feb 11 06:00:59 2018
      1229 1000 DENY_NONE 0x100081 RDONLY NONE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Media Media/Videos Sun Feb 11 06:00:59 2018
    • For Help with Windows 10 being able to see OMV Samba shares see this How To.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.
    • The last item, the desktop short cut using the server's IP address for the target (\\192.168.X.XX). Also, the Host file edit + a short cut with the server name in the target (\\hostname), should work in nearly any circumstance.

I say "nearly" because M$ and their OEM partners seem to dream up ever more imaginative ways of manipulating LAN traffic. Therein, lays an enormous problem.

If Windows is built from retail media, the build is different (sometimes vastly different) than what users get when Windows is pre-installed on an OEM machine. M$'s partners are free to alter a Windows installation, with "custom" (undocumented) settings and "add-on software" to suit their own purposes. Then end result is the majority of Windows installs are in an "unknown" state, with a substantial number of variations from the retail baseline.

One would think that M$ would have it together by now, with Windows "10", but matters seem to be getting worse with their latest version (10) having issues with joining a Windows domain, recognizing Windows Clients on the same network, etc. :rolleyes:

BTW: If a 3rd party firewall is installed, don't forget to test with it turned off. Since discovery may take a reboot and 10 minutes or so, for safety, I'd disconnect from the internet during the test.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.