Large EXT4 Volumes

• Hi,

I was using a Raspberry Pi3 running open media vault over the weekend as a test bed for what I may expect when my Rock64 arrives and first impressions were that I was very impressed - seems a great bit of kit and exactly what I'm looking for however it didn't seem to like my 24TB hardware RAID array over USB (yes. it was slow. like 15mb/s max, but as said this is just testing).

For stability I wanted to wipe and format the whole 24TB 'physical disk' inside OMV except I kept getting the (now looking back on it) amusing error 'Read Error 27 - Weird Stuff May Happen' which I'm guessing was down to breaking the 16TB mark? I also SSH'ed in and had issues with parted and gdisk and fdisk.

Is this something I'll also run into when running the Rock64 and if so how do I get around it? (....or on the Pi for that matter?)

To get up and running I just NTFS'ed the drive via the one and only Windows machine I own which left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth as I'd much rather EXT4 and knowing how unhappy it was about EXT4 it still made me uneasy about the whole setup in general.

I did re-configure the hardware RAID to drop it below 16TB which was fine - and would currently backup all of my data, but for me personally I like to know that my backup volume is capable of continuing even if I max out all of my storage and still have some overhead leftover for retention and as the USB RAID cannot support multiple hardware RAID's I'd like to get use of the whole 24TB in a single volume even if I'm forced to have it partitioned. The only thing I didn't get round to testing was booting Ubuntu to go key to try and lay down the EXT4 but again knowing the OMV instance couldn't do this itself didn't inspire confidence.

Some background on the setup is that this 24TB drive will backup multiple other drives also running a hardware RAID of their own..... as they say RAID is not a backup.... and all this is in addition to a partial cloud backup of everything that is vitally important.

thanks,

Dan

• I'm guessing was down to breaking the 16TB mark?

Exactly. See the same issue here (2nd post with some explanations): https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/21748

The RPi OMV image boots by default with a 32-bit kernel and ships with an armhf (32-bit) userland. We provide a 64-bit ARMv8 kernel too but you're on your own how to get the VC4 bootloader load this one instead of the default (that receives kernel upgrades whereas the 64-bit kernel is an outdated 4.11).

Once you switch to a 64-bit kernel one 16 TB limitation is gone but you might still run into issues due to binaries being too old (see explanation in the referenced thread).

The recommended OMV image for ROCK64 uses a 64-bit kernel with an armhf userland (for compatibility with Plex and also for greatly reduced memory consumption) so be prepared for another surprise when your ROCK64 arrives.

In my personal opinion (USB) RAID5 that exceeds a few TB is just a horribly bad idea (especially when using filesystems like ext4) but since users do not focus on important stuff (why do they play RAID? What's the reason to waste disks for almost nothing?) it's useless to warn anyway :)

• The recommended OMV image for ROCK64 uses a 64-bit kernel with an armhf userland (for compatibility with Plex and also for greatly reduced memory consumption) so be prepared for another surprise when your ROCK64 arrives.

In my personal opinion (USB) RAID5 that exceeds a few TB is just a horribly bad idea (especially when using filesystems like ext4) but since users do not focus on important stuff (why do they play RAID? What's the reason to waste disks for almost nothing?) it's useless to warn anyway :)

Maybe I'm missing something, but which surprise will the Rock64 bring? its early here :)

I also wouldn't rely solely on RAID5 but in this case as its a backup of 2 other systems which are both running a RAID (...neither of which is 5) and one of those also has a cloud backup also all I need is just a local copy of the data and I've got the hardware sitting around and was gifted the drives so has cost me next to nothing.

Out of interest (and don't mean to sound off as I have no doubt whatsoever that you know far more than me) but what would be a better solution for near zero investment?

• Maybe I'm missing something, but which surprise will the Rock64 bring?

Whether you can create an ext4 larger than 16TiB or not. I already mentioned it: https://serverfault.com/questi…18tb-raid-6/536758#536758

Have you ever had to replace a drive in a RAID just to realize that the huge amount of stress during the rebuild process not only slows performance down too much but also another disk gets killed in the process? Ever ran an fsck on a damaged filesystem that did not finish since the host has not that much physical memory (DRAM) as needed? Ever realized when using one of those crappy external RAID boxes that all your data is gone instantly as soon as the controller inside these things died and you do not have another identical RAID box or at least the controller as spare part available?

RAID is only about availability ('business continuity' -- which business do you run that requires your data being available 24/7), the average OMV user playing RAID of course never tests anything (that's why this forum is flooded with 'Oops, my RAID array has gone, where is all my data?' threads every other day) and such 'external RAID box' situations even foil the whole 'availability' idea behind RAID.

Keeping filesystem sizes reasonably low is always a great idea, avoiding RAID when it's not necessary is even a greater idea (especially those anachronistic modes) and if you use RAID you need to test stuff permanently (nobody does this at home so it's just wasted disks for no reason and once the RAID would be needed, things fail anyway).

I would not look into availability but better into data integrity and data protection (made easy). Modern approaches like btrfs and ZFS are the way better choice with such setups. And stuff like mergerfs to create insanely large storage pools for no reason exist too.

• Thanks, yes, I've had to replace a failed RAID member drive before - and on this particular unit as it happens.... it rebuilt (which granted took awhile) but data was fine and intact. I've also purposely failed drives and rebuilt with test setups just to see what the consequences. although not specifically regarding RAID this whole exercise was a test to try different configurations and to see if I could access the OMV written data as just a plain ol' USB drive on another machine or even append to it and re-attach to OMV. also knowing nothing is guaranteed I keep many copies in many different places as whats a RAID worth if a controller dies.

I should be clear though this is a home setup........ and even telling my wife that she has to keep off it is no concern :)

I've flattened this backup drive re-attached as a USB drive for now, restarted my backup from scratch which will take the best part of a few days to complete but even if it falls over and dies due to stress so be it. I like to mess around to the point of destruction so that when it does matter I'm better informed.

If it was anything more than a home setup with all due respect (and I really mean that) I wouldn't be using OMV.

Dan

• its not a distrust of the OS but outside of home use we have to have guaranteed 24/7 availability and bandwidth for storage in the multi petabytes so need gotta have those service contracts... for those we are just power users.

at home, I like to experiment and learn so when everything is working perfectly I usually like take it all apart to see if I can make it run better, smoother, increase my understanding or just learn something new hence picking up a bit of software I just found out existed aswell as a bunch of hardware I have and a SBC from China to see what I can do with it. The Pi in question is already now running as Raspian Lite monitoring a UPS instead of being directly connected to a machine for the sheer 'why not'.

I tend to work exclusively on Mac both at work and at home (bar the gaming PC I built for my son) but love the power of the command line to support and manage day to day so naturally find myself drawn to Linux and what works for me is to have a goal, read a bunch of stuff, fail, try again, keep trying, ask and keep working the problem. My OMV NAS like the rest of my setup will have a grand total of 2 users :)

Dan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!