SDD partition keeps reverting to MBR after installation.

• Hello.

I wanted to install OMV on my SDD as a GPT partition.

I used Gparted to changed the partition from MBR to GPT and then ran the OMV installation.

However, following installation, the partition always reverts to MBR again.

Is there any way to stop this or do I have to use MBR?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don’t need gparted. The Debian installer should do gpt as long as you’re using uefi.
    I don’t think the Debian installer can do gpt without uefi (legacy bios).

If you want gpt and boot legacy bios then you probably need to install Debian manually (debootstrap). That I wouldn’t recommend for new Linux users.

Read here https://wiki.archlinux.org/ind….29_specific_instructions

• Thanks for that.

Had a go but still ended up with MBR on the SSD, whilst all my storage disks are GPT - very strange. I do have a UEFI BIOS.

I know it is technically preferable to use GPT when possible but do you think I will noticed any difference at all sticking with MBT for the system drive?

• Thanks - good to know that it is advantageous (in principal) rather than absolutely recommended.

Unfortunately, I am curious to now know why I cannot get the SSD to install as a GPT partition.

I have read through the Debian wiki and, as you correctly say, if Debian 9 detects no partition, it will automatically create a GPT one by default.

I am now wondering whether my messing around with manual partitions is preventing this.

When it came to the insallation, I chose manual, with a view to creating a 63GB ext4 root partition and then a 1GB swap partition at the end - my thinking being has always been that with my server having 12GB of RAM, anything more than 1GB is just a waste.

I might have a go at completely removing all partitions from the SSD with GParted, running the Debian installer again and then just let it do its thing automatically.

One other quick thing, when installing Stretch - when it comes to Software Selection, should I untick absolutely everything, including standard system utilities?

I was wondering whether the OMV installation then adds back in everything you need or whether standard system utilities is needed to install OMV in the first place.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von elsmandino () aus folgendem Grund: Further information.

• Thanks very much for that - much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I have run into a few more general installation problems.

I think I shall start a new thread for that as I don't want to go to far off target from the original thread title.

Thanks

• Woohoo - success!

It turns out that when I was clicking on manual partition creation, I didn't know that you had to create a third UEFI partition.

I just though you needed a root and a swap partition.

Very happy camper now - thanks Sub, I really owe you one!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!