Is it possible to create VM directory on the OMV system partition?

• I bought a bigger disk with the aim of installing virtual machines. I installed the vbox plugin, but I can't add shared directory from the system partition (sde1) when I would like to add VM directory.

Is it possible if I use the original OMV installer (openmediavault_3.0.94-amd64.iso) for the installation? If the answer is yes, how could I solve this? Which permissions should I set for the VM directory?

Thanks!

• You can't use the system partition to hold shared folders in OMV.

If you want to do that you need to repartition your drive with Gparted or similar:
    - Boot into Gparted
    - Resize system partition down to something like 16GB (should be more than enough)
    - Create another ext4 partition with the freed space.
    - Reboot in OMV and the new partition should be available for your data.

• You can't use the system partition to hold shared folders in OMV.

Sorry, but that is wrong. Not with GUI only but with a little bit of cli (console or ssh) it is possible.

You can archive this with symlinks! I am running this setup and it works very well.
    Just create a new symlink in your volume pointing to a folder on your OMV system drive.
    Example:
    ln -s /data/VMs /srv/dev-disk-by-label-vol0data/VMs
    After this create a new shared folder in OMV pointing to the folder. Perhaps you have to change ownership manually by chown vbox:vboxusers.

Now you can select the shared folder in VirtualBox plugin.

I am doing this because my OMV system drive is a big (at least to big for only having OMV on it) ssd.

Despite that, you can also do, what Nibb31 wrote and repartition your OMV disk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!