Mods please help - OMV on Buffalo LS-WVL

• Hi all,

I recently installed OMV on my Buffalo LS-WVL since the original firmware was not compatible with QNAP's UPS monitoring software. The objective is to monitor the UPS by connecting connecting the USB cable to one of the NAS enclosures (preferably the QNAP) and have it signal the other two when there was a power failure.

My setup

• Buffalo LS-WVL x 2
    • QNAP TS-453 x 1
    • APC ES-700 UPS x 1

I installed the current version of OMV on one of the buffalo NASes, and have been facing a few problems.

Issue 1: - Mount Point
    The mount point Data1 on the boot disk keeps dropping off at least twice a week. I am unable to do anything using the Filesystems tab within the OMV gui, and am forced to SSH into the box and manually umount / mount the mount point whenever this happens. This unstable behaviour is my biggest concern and is seen only with that one mount point. I have attached JPEGs of the file system settings for reference.

Issue 2: Reboot / Shutdown

• When I reboot the device from within the GUI, it does not always boot back into OMV. Sometimes the device just hangs. It responds to ping and nothing else, not even SSH. I have to pull the power once or twice before it boots back into OMV.
    • When I shutdown the device from within the GUI it sometimes reboots instead. The physical power button at the back doesn't do anything.

Issue 3: UPS monitoring - Resolved, see post below

The UPS is connected to the QNAP NAS via USB cable and the OMV NAS is configured to query the UPS status over the network. This part works and the OMV NAS is getting UPS status messages from the QNAP. However, I am unable to configure the OMV NAS to shutdown after a fixed interval. I need this to work since the UPS has a limited run time and I want to shutdown if the power outage lasts more than 5 minutes. The OMV UPS plugin seems to be meant only for directly connected UPS. Connecting the UPS to the OMV NAS is an option, but I still need the second Buffalo NAS(when migrated to OMV) to be able to shutdown once the remote UPS loses power for more than 5 minutes.

I would appreciate some help from the experts here on these issues.

• I resolved issue 3 by plugging in the UPS to the OMV NAS directly and configuring it to shutdown in 5 minutes. Once the config was applied using the NUT Plugin, I copied upssched.conf and then disabled the UPS in the plugin. Then I manually configured nut remote monitoring and copied over upssched.conf. The NAS shuts down 5 minutes after mains power is lost.

I checked the logs trying to figure out issue 1, and this is what I found

"monit[742]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-data1' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data1 is not a mountpoint"

Not sure how to fix this and will appreciate some help from the gurus here.

• Thanks for responding, please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to troubleshoot the issue.

• Curious. Both partitions are mounted twice?
    Can you show

Code
    cat /etc/fstab

please?

For issue 2, you have to dig in the logs...

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
    UUID=5d2bd2be-00f3-4f19-9830-ca4fe3d19b98 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=52111ecb-b63c-46dd-90b7-5ee1eb96d0e8 /boot ext3 defaults 0 2
    # /data1 was on /dev/sda4 during installation
    UUID=fe9e6fc6-57e8-414d-aeee-52c0537e3af8 /data1 ext4 defaults 0 2
    # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=3f720336-6653-4811-a677-2015217401f5 none swap sw 0 0
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST31000528AS_6VP1BTFK-part1 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-ST31000528AS_6VP1BTFK-part1 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    /dev/disk/by-label/data1 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data1 ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

• Hey guys,

Can someone please assist? Dropkick Murphy said the partitions are mounted twice and asked for output of cat /etc/fstab which I posted above. I would appreciate if someone could look at the logs and let me know whats wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any ideas? Never seen double mounted partitions in this way

That is the correct behavior with OMV 4.x. Each filesystem is mounted normally in /srv. Each shared folder is bind mounted to /sharedfolders/SHARED_FOLDER_NAME. So, you could see a lot of mounts to the same filesystem.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is the correct behavior with OMV 4.x. Each filesystem is mounted normally in /srv. Each shared folder is bind mounted to /sharedfolders/SHARED_FOLDER_NAME. So, you could see a lot of mounts to the same filesystem.

Any other ideas as to why those mount points keep dropping off and I cannot mount / unmount them using the GUI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any other ideas as to why those mount points keep dropping off and I cannot mount / unmount them using the GUI?

These are two questions. If mount points are "dropping off", this isn't a function of OMV. This sounds like hardware issue (is the drive usb?). Mount/unmount in the GUI is based on whether the drive is in use and/or already mounted. I think the first problem needs to be fixed first.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• These are two questions. If mount points are "dropping off", this isn't a function of OMV. This sounds like hardware issue (is the drive usb?). Mount/unmount in the GUI is based on whether the drive is in use and/or already mounted. I think the first problem needs to be fixed first.

The drive is not USB, it is installed in a Buffalo NAS Enclosure which never had such issues with stock firmware

http://www.buffalo-technology.…chive/linkstatio-pro-duo/

• Offizieller Beitrag

which never had such issues with stock firmware

When I say hardware issues, that includes the Linux drivers/modules for that hardware. I would hope the stock firmware works well but there are always chances that the manufacturer did not upstream the driver code to the linux kernel. In that case, the system might be using a driver that is buggy for that exact version of the hardware. Not much we can do about that. Not sure how or where you go the Debian image for this kirkwood unit but I would guess it needs some changes with the kernel (newer version maybe?).

• Offizieller Beitrag

can I update it without breaking OMV?

That is newest kernel that Debian supplies for kirkwood boards. I guess you could use the manufacturer's kernel with Debian's userland but that may break other things. As for breaking OMV, you are using an armel system that isn't supported to begin with starting with OMV 2.x. As much as you probably like the system, I wouldn't use a kirkwood or any other armel system with OMV.

• Thanks for the response @ryecoaaron

I just remembered one more thing. The following mount points are from the same physical drive.

/dev/sda1 = /boot
    /dev/sda2 = /root
    /dev/sda4 = /data1

If the issue is due to hardware / drivers then it should affect the physical disk and all the partitions on it? I have this problem only with the mount point on /dev/sda4 and /dev/sdb1
    Please refer to the screen shots for configuration details.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!