looking for Plex alternative

• OMV 3.x (stable)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Epo_Deluxe wrote:

OK.

I do not need Plex Pass but why do i need a account?

Maybe i will try to use Kodi at my Android TV to stream 4K UHD content.

Br
      Plex just requires an account. It's what they do. That's really all I know about it because I don't use it.

As long as you're not trying to stream outside of your home network, definitely try streaming directly to your Android TV using samba.
    • Epo_Deluxe wrote:

OK.

I do not need Plex Pass but why do i need a account?

Maybe i will try to use Kodi at my Android TV to stream 4K UHD content.

Br
      I don't use Plex either but I tested a Plex Docker so I registered it. If you're worried about privacy, it's easy enough to set up a separate E-mail account with Google, just for the purpose of registering packages like Plex and others.
      Inside this new account, you can set it to auto-forward to your regular E-mail account. If spam gets out of control, abandon the throw-away account. That's the way I handle this kind of thing.

As @jollyrogr suggested, I stream from a Samba share direct to a media player. With a logical directory structure, it's easy to find things and it works fine, without the need to store all the metadata that packages like Plex download.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • alternativeto.net/software/plex/

OpenMediaVault miniDLNA (DLNA server) plugin lightweight DLNA/UPnP-AV server targeted at embedded systems MiniDLNA (aka ReadyDLNA) is server software with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients. . The minidlna daemon serves media files (music, pictures, and video) to clients on your network. Example clients include applications such as totem and xbmc, and devices such as portable media players, smartphones, and televisions. . MiniDLNA is a simple, lightweight alternative to mediatomb, but has fewer features. It does not have a web interface for administration and must be configured by editing a text file.
    • looking for Plex alternative

gderf wrote:

Have a look at Emby.

I also recommend to try Emby.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      frontend software - android tv | libreelec | win10 | kodi krypton
      frontend hardware - nvidia shield tv | odroid c2 | yamaha rx-a1020 | quadral chromium style 5.1 | samsung le40-a789r2 | harmony smart control
      -------------------------------------------
      backend software - debian | kernel 4.4 lts | proxmox | openmediavault | zfs raid-z2 | docker | emby | vdr | vnsi | fhem
      backend hardware - supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x4tb wd red | digital devices max s8
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Emby is a nice solution, and seemed to be more open to customization than Plex (at least when I used it a few years ago). The only reason I personally need a program like Plex (or Emby) is for some friends and family to easily access my library. If I was interested in playing media only locally on my home network, I'd certainly just point Kodi at the Samba shares and go at it. (Just making a general comment since you haven't disclosed how you plan to use it)
    • If you need a media server Emby is the only alternative to plex but it require an account too. It also require a paid to stream on a browser for what I know.

If you can use a smart tv you can use Kodi, but you'll have to configure every tv.

I tend to suggest Kodi if someone has only 1 TV while Plex is better if you have multiple devices. It also depends or how powerfull is your NAS, since plex is a mediaserver the NAS will handle any transcoding.
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M pro4s - 8GB ram - 2x4TB WD RED in RAID1 - 1TB Seagate 7200.12
      OMV 3.0.79 - Kernel 4.9 backport 3 - omvextrasorg 3.4.25
    • Epo_Deluxe wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try Plex and Emby.
      Just keep in mind that, by default, Plex and Emby drops their metadata onto your boot drive. (Without knowing how large your boot drive is:) A very large collection of media files can result in several to 10's of Gig's of metadata, which can fill up your boot drive.

If this is a possibility for you, there's advice on the form for relocating metadata storage to a data drive.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.95 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey ().

Vor allem handelt es sich um einen englischen Thread!
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      frontend hardware - nvidia shield tv | odroid c2 | yamaha rx-a1020 | quadral chromium style 5.1 | samsung le40-a789r2 | harmony smart control
      backend software - debian | kernel 4.4 lts | proxmox | openmediavault | zfs raid-z2 | docker | emby | vdr | vnsi | fhem
      backend hardware - supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x4tb wd red | digital devices max s8
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post was edited 1 time, last by hoppel118 ().

Mach einfach einen neuen Thread auf.
    • Offtopic ON

strix wrote:

oh sry kann ich das irgendwie löschen
      Ja, über die "Erweiterte Bearbeitung" auf dem jeweiligen Post und dann auf "Diesen Beitrag in den Papierkorb verschieben".

Es sieht dann so aus, wie gerade eben bei meinem nächsten Beitrag - Versehentlichen Doppelpost gelöscht.

Offtopic OFF
      OMV 3.0.90 (Gray style)
      ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

The post was edited 1 time, last by cabrio_leo ().

• Users Online 1

1 Guest