looking for Plex alternative

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• flmaxey wrote:

…there's advice on the form for relocating metadata storage to a data drive.

Where might I find the advice?
      I set my Database Volume and Folder in OMV's PLEX setup to be: /srv/store/plexmediaserver/, yet PLEX stores nearly 20GB onto my boot USB in less than a week.
      There seems to be too much here regarding PLEX that my searching ability falls short.
      Thanks for your help.

Jerry
      OMV 4.x on intel
    • ajaja wrote:

flmaxey wrote:

I set my Database Volume and Folder in OMV's PLEX setup to be: /srv/store/plexmediaserver/, yet PLEX stores nearly 20GB onto my boot USB in less than a week.
      There seems to be too much here regarding PLEX that my searching ability falls short.
      Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Unfortunately, a lot (all?) of the threads you'll see related to this issue will indicate that there's some difficulty getting Plex to respect your wishes to move the database anywhere other than the default location. Many users seem to have a lot of trouble with this issue.
    • ajaja wrote:

flmaxey wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

You can always attempt to make this change yourself manually as documented on the Plex.tv forums:

forums.plex.tv/discussion/277724/moving-pms-library#latest
      OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • gderf wrote:

You can always attempt to make this change yourself manually as documented on the Plex.tv forums:

forums.plex.tv/discussion/277724/moving-pms-library#latest

I have attempted moving Plex's metadata (Library) directory on systemd based systems a year ago and hosed my OMV build. So it is a year later and I have learned much; I followed the steps there best I could and adjusted setting a few times. Again I was left with the need to reinstall from the OS up. Dang it!

I did just update my OMV hardware and there is an M.2 slot on board. Ninety dolors later my boot drive is an overly fast 225GiB PCIe NVMe SSD. This should hold my PLEX bloat well enough.
      OMV 4.x on intel
    • gderf wrote:

Did you install OMV to that M.2 using the iso installer or was it a Debian install with OMV installed on top of it?

I seem to remember reading that an OMV iso install will not run a 4.x kernel on an M.2 disk.

I used the ISO installer. Worked like a charm so far.
      My hardware is a Dell T30 (outlet buy @ $299) running 1.0.2 BIOS booted to WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS256G1X0C
      OMV 4.x on intel
    • ajaja wrote:

gderf wrote:

Did you install OMV to that M.2 using the iso installer or was it a Debian install with OMV installed on top of it?

I seem to remember reading that an OMV iso install will not run a 4.x kernel on an M.2 disk.
      My hardware is a Dell T30 (outlet buy @ $299) running 1.0.2 BIOS booted to WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS256G1X0C
      But what kernel are you running?
      OMV 4.x - ASRock Rack C2550D4I - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • ajaja wrote:

jollyrogr wrote:

ajaja wrote:

OMV 3 or OMV 4?
      OMV 4openmediavault_4.0.14-amd64.iso

Dell PowerEdge T130 w/ Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5
      OK. I'm pretty sure that does not work with OMV 3 iso. At least it didn't work for me back when I installed omv3. Had to install Jessie first. I'm glad this isn't a problem with omv4. :thumbup:
    • gderf wrote:

ajaja wrote:

gderf wrote:

I used the ISO installer. Worked like a charm so far.My hardware is a Dell T30 (outlet buy @ $299) running 1.0.2 BIOS booted to WD Black 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS256G1X0C
      But what kernel are you running?
      Vanilla install.

Version: 4.0.19-1 (Arrakis)
      Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz
      Kernel: Linux 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
      Images
      • omvT30.png

90.07 kB, 2,124×452, viewed 74 times
      OMV 4.x on intel