looking for Plex alternative

• The use of Plex Media Server does not require having a Plex Pass.

Have a look at Emby.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Plex just requires an account. It's what they do. That's really all I know about it because I don't use it.

As long as you're not trying to stream outside of your home network, definitely try streaming directly to your Android TV using samba.

• https://alternativeto.net/software/plex/

OpenMediaVault miniDLNA (DLNA server) plugin lightweight DLNA/UPnP-AV server targeted at embedded systems MiniDLNA (aka ReadyDLNA) is server software with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients. . The minidlna daemon serves media files (music, pictures, and video) to clients on your network. Example clients include applications such as totem and xbmc, and devices such as portable media players, smartphones, and televisions. . MiniDLNA is a simple, lightweight alternative to mediatomb, but has fewer features. It does not have a web interface for administration and must be configured by editing a text file.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • Have a look at Emby.

I also recommend to try Emby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Emby is a nice solution, and seemed to be more open to customization than Plex (at least when I used it a few years ago). The only reason I personally need a program like Plex (or Emby) is for some friends and family to easily access my library. If I was interested in playing media only locally on my home network, I'd certainly just point Kodi at the Samba shares and go at it. (Just making a general comment since you haven't disclosed how you plan to use it)

• If you need a media server Emby is the only alternative to plex but it require an account too. It also require a paid to stream on a browser for what I know.

If you can use a smart tv you can use Kodi, but you'll have to configure every tv.

I tend to suggest Kodi if someone has only 1 TV while Plex is better if you have multiple devices. It also depends or how powerfull is your NAS, since plex is a mediaserver the NAS will handle any transcoding.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try Plex and Emby.

Kodi on my TV is not working as expected because the TV Software has a bug and is not able to return Audio DTS-HD via ARC to the AVR.

With Plex and/or Emby it should work via my UHD BluRay Player.

Best regards

• You can choose were you want to store metadata on btw. Not sure for Emby since I never used it.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Vor allem handelt es sich um einen englischen Thread!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Mach einfach einen neuen Thread auf.

• Offtopic ON

oh sry kann ich das irgendwie löschen

Ja, über die "Erweiterte Bearbeitung" auf dem jeweiligen Post und dann auf "Diesen Beitrag in den Papierkorb verschieben".

Es sieht dann so aus, wie gerade eben bei meinem nächsten Beitrag - Versehentlichen Doppelpost gelöscht.

Offtopic OFF

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• …there's advice on the form for relocating metadata storage to a data drive.

Where might I find the advice?
    I set my Database Volume and Folder in OMV's PLEX setup to be: /srv/store/plexmediaserver/, yet PLEX stores nearly 20GB onto my boot USB in less than a week.
    There seems to be too much here regarding PLEX that my searching ability falls short.
    Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • Where might I find the advice?
    I set my Database Volume and Folder in OMV's PLEX setup to be: /srv/store/plexmediaserver/, yet PLEX stores nearly 20GB onto my boot USB in less than a week.
    There seems to be too much here regarding PLEX that my searching ability falls short.
    Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Unfortunately, a lot (all?) of the threads you'll see related to this issue will indicate that there's some difficulty getting Plex to respect your wishes to move the database anywhere other than the default location. Many users seem to have a lot of trouble with this issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!