Issues with OMV4.

• Hello,

I am really struggling with some general Linux issues at the moment and would be grateful for some advice.

I have never had any problems with OMV3 - has been rock solid for sharing my drives on my network.

The one thing that has been holding me back is that it was based on Jessie.

I want to use TVHeadend and I need XMLTV 0.5.69 so I can use the tv_grab_zz_sdjson grabber as I have a Schedules Direct account.

XMLTV 0.5.69 comes with Stretch (Jessie supports XMLTV 0.5.63), so I though that this was my chance to have a go with OMV4.

Unfortunately, things did not go well - I installed the 4.0.14.iso and when I reboot, my server just freezes. I have retried a number of times and this iso just does not work with it.

I then had a go with a bare minimal install of Debian Stretch, which did work, and then I followed these instructions:

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

and rebooted the system.

I then typed in the IP address for the server, expecting the OMV webpage to appear but nothing.

I suspect that my complete misunderstanding of Linux is holding me back but what should I do?

Should I wait for another release of OMV4 before having another go or should I stick with the minimal Debian install and then upgrading it to OMV?

If I stick with the Debian install, what do you think I am doing wrong?

• Thanks Macom.

Your comment about checking my hardware was key!

When I was replying with what hardware was on my server, it suddenly dawned on me that I had an old satellite card in it that I forgot to remove (I have since replaced with a SAT>IP Server).

I whipped it out and the latest OMV4 .iso immediately booted up properly - it would seem that the Debian .iso contains firmware for my satellite card that are missing from the latest OMV4 .iso.

Despite the OMV4 .iso now working on my system, I still couldn't work out why these instructions were not providing me with the OMV webpage:

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

It turns out that, based upon another thread, there I needed one last step to get everything working:

apt-get install postfix openmediavault

Worked perfectly and everything is working perfectly now - really pleased.

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!