NAS with raspberry pi. Is it possible? Could you recommend me which raspberry is better?

• Hi, my name is Luismi, i´m from spain and i need some recommendations .

First i need to apologise for my english.

I want to do a project and i was thinking about build a nas with a raspberry . (first I thought about buying a synology nas but it´s expensive )

What do you think about buy a raspberry and two hard drives and make a nas? I would like to have a vpn,raid, multimedia server,backup system,FTP server and more things.

If it´s possible, could you recommend me which raspberry is better to do this? and what about the HDD ? Typical consumer hard drive or NAS drives with include error recovery controls ?

I have other option to build a nas, buying an old computer and two discs but i thin it will be more interesting for my project do it with the raspberry .

Thanks you in advance for your help

• It’s possible as I’ve done it! Though it works fine, the speed isn’t great as it’s limited to 100mb.. I would get an Orange PI as it’s cheaper and better spec! The must have is the Gigabit Ethernet, obviously giving you 1000mb speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The one I use is a Samsung Evo Plus, real cheap but the best performance.

Not any more. Currently I would prefer SanDisk A1 cards. Starting with UItra A1, then Extreme A1 and for highest performance and reliability Extreme Plus A1: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=49404

(the A1 is the most important part of the product name when it's about performance!)

• I would like to have a vpn,raid, multimedia server,backup system,FTP server and more things.

If it´s possible, could you recommend me which raspberry is better to do this?

Hopefully the services you listed above are not intended to be active on one Raspberry Pi. That would cause SERIOUS overload. I had a NAS using OMV 3, now running OMV 4, and have been happy with it for my basic requirements. My setup is one Raspberry Pi 3 model B as a NAS, and another Pi running Kodi with openVPN. The hard drive I have connected to OMV is a Seagate 4TB. I’d recommend the latest Pi which is the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. It has new features including a dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN and faster Ethernet. I believe it also has more onboard memory. Even though it has faster Ethernet, DO NOT expect high end performance as it still only has USB 2 which hopefully will be enhanced to USB 3. Most definitely use Ethernet for the NAS device. Definitely use a class 10 SD card, or even better put OMV on a good quality USB 8 or 16GB thumb drive as I’m not certain the amount of read/writes OMV performs for it operation. I would recommend using the OMV backup plugin before making any significant modifications to OMV but I’m sure other users may have other recommendations for backup/restores. The Raspberry Pi setup I have serves my basic purposes even though transfer speeds from my MacBook Pro to the OMV mounted hard drive is quite limited. I get transfer speeds from my Mac to the NAS of approximately 1GB/10 seconds. Remember, the Raspberry Pi is a SBC! Give things a try and please post your results.

• What do you think about buy a raspberry and two hard drives and make a nas? I would like to have a vpn,raid, multimedia server,backup system,FTP server and more things.

If it´s possible, could you recommend me which raspberry is better to do this? and what about the HDD ? Typical consumer hard drive or NAS drives with include error recovery.

Hopefully the services you listed above are not intended to be active on one Raspberry Pi. That would cause SERIOUS overload. I had a NAS using OMV 3, now running OMV 4, and have been happy with it for my basic requirements. My setup is one Raspberry Pi 3 model B as a NAS, and another Pi running Kodi with openVPN. The hard drive I have connected to OMV is a Seagate 4TB. I’d recommend the latest Pi which is the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. It has new features including a dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN and faster Ethernet. I believe it also has more onboard memory. Even though it has faster Ethernet, DO NOT expect high end performance as it still only has USB 2 which hopefully will be enhanced to USB 3. Most definitely use Ethernet for the NAS device. Definitely use a class 10 SD card, or even better put OMV on a good quality USB 8 or 16GB thumb drive as I’m not certain the amount of read/writes OMV performs for it operation. I would recommend using the OMV backup plugin before making any significant modifications to OMV but I’m sure other users may have other recommendations for backup/restores. The Raspberry Pi setup I have serves my basic purposes even though transfer speeds from my MacBook Pro to the OMV mounted hard drive is quite limited. I get transfer speeds from my Mac to the NAS of approximately 1GB/10 seconds. Remember, the Raspberry Pi is a SBC! Give things a try and please post your results.

• I’d recommend the latest Pi which is the Raspberry Pi 3 model B+. It has new features including a dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN and faster Ethernet. I believe it also has more onboard memory.

No, it has only 1 GB RAM (since more is impossible). Yes, Wi-Fi is faster. The 'faster' Ethernet is not always faster since the RPi folks didn't do some research first and chose a crappy USB Ethernet chip. Overall every Raspberry Pi is a terrible choice for a NAS.

Remember, the Raspberry Pi is a SBC!

It's just the most insufficient SBC possible for the NAS use case.

Other ARM SBC are way better suited for the job. Since OpenVPN was mentioned choosing an SBC with a 64-bit CPU supporting ARMv8 Crypto Extensions is essential (almost all 64-bit ARM SoCs do support this, the RPi is not amongst them).

Further readings:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!