Start alternative Clonezilla iso

• I'd like to ask where it's configured that the specified clonezilla iso is booted when clicking the 'Reboot to Clonezilla once' button.

The old Clonezilla iso that comes with the OMV-Extras unfortunately isn't working for me. I'm aware that newer versions don't bring up the network after booting out of the box, but I have modified a newer testing iso, as stated in the Clonezilla docs, to match my local IP setup and this works pretty good. Then I've copied the new iso to /boot/ and renamed it to the old. That's working atm. However I consider this renaming thing to be a dirty hack and would love to access the iso by its true name/ version... that way I won't forget about my modifications as well.
    So can anyone tell me where to find the config for the 'reboot button'

Thanks for your efforts,
    Thomas

• You should inform @ryecoaaron about this approach.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

So can anyone tell me where to find the config for the 'reboot button'

Unfortunately, to get the changed ISO to work with omv-extras, it would require changing omv-extras. If you did that on just your system, the changes would be overwritten by an update. If you just want the grub menu entry, copy /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla to /etc/grub.d/43_whatever and you can probably tell what to modify in that file.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the clarification... I already was afraid of something like that and stay with the modded and renamed Clonezilla iso. Just as a reference for others who have also problems with their old Clonezilla version here's what I did:

1. OMV-Extras - > Kernel -> Install Clonezilla
    2. Download a for you working Clonezilla iso (I tried the testing clonezilla-live-2.5.5-27-amd64.iso)
    3. Extract some files from the iso
    - /EFI/boot/grub.cfg
    - /syslinux/isolinux.cfg
    - /syslinux/syslinux.cfg

Just one of these files needs to be modified to add additional info to the Clonezilla boot.

grub.cfg, if you have a UEFI based system, isolinux.cfg if booting from a CD and syslinux.cfg if you're booting from a USB drive/ stick. If you do not know what to mod, go with grub.cfg and syslinux.cfg, that should do in most cases.

Within these files find the default menu entry

Code
    MENU LABEL Clonezilla live (Default settings, VGA 800x600)

the next IP= a few lines below replace with eg.

Code
    ip=eth0:192.168.x.x:255.255.255.0:192.168.x.y:8.8.8.8 ocs_daemonon="ssh"

You need to adapt this to fit into your needs ->> :IP:NETMASK:GATEWAY:DNS

Replace the files with the modded ones within the iso and save the iso.

In a cli

Code
    rm /boot/clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso

Copy the modded iso into /boot and raname it to clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso

As last step we take care of permissions

Code
    chown root:root /boot/clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso
    chmod 644 clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso

That's it. Now you can boot into a new Clonezilla version from within OMV admin.
    The IP is the one you've chosen above, user and password are user:live
    Once logged in you need to
    sudo clonezilla
    to bring up the Clonezilla interface.

• Hi,

I've just registered to contribute my own experiences. With the "original" clonezilla iso (clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso) I had a serious lag within ssh (~5 second delay after every command) and a awful performance while backing up 14 GB from SSD to HDD (100-300 mb/min). My nas is based on a ASRock J3455-ITX.

I'm glad I found this post and I tried to follow the steps from post 4. But I didn't find a way to edit the *.iso-file. So I couldn't follow the instructions...
    Eventually I looked into the original *.iso and opened the grub.cfg and the other *.cfg files because I wanted to see which modifications had been made there. Surprisingly the "ip=" had not been changed as shown in the above. So I decided to try a new iso without the modifications.

I just copied a new iso (clonezilla-live-2.5.5-38-amd64.iso.) to /boot. I renamed the orignal file to .org and gave the new one the old name. Then I changed permissions to chmod 666 and set startup via webinterface.

Et'voila: everything worked! Network (ip assigned via DHCP), ssh (headless setup, so this is vital) and restoring a backup worked and performance was perfect: no more lag and restoring with 5 GB/min...

Why does it work? What do you say?

PS: I always thought you needed a matching operating system for x64 and was surprised that the x86 version was even running at all? Is that the reason for the bad performance, or is it jsut the "old" version?

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jcd () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• I was having some issues with cloning my main drive with the supplied iso for clonezilla in omv-extras, but found that the latest version (clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso) did not have the same problem. Unfortunately the ssh didn't work out of the box for me like it did for jcd, so initially I could only access it by hooking up a monitor and keyboard (which I generally don't keep connected). With a bit of tinkering I was able to get a setup that works with the existing reboot button, and doesn't require renaming or editing the iso. Here's what I did:

• Install clonezilla through web interface if you haven't already (OMV-Extras -> Kernel -> Install Clonezilla)
    • Download newer clonezilla iso and place in /boot. Don't delete clonezilla-live-2.3.2-22-i686-pae.iso from the previous step, since the reboot button checks that it exists.
    • Modify /etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla to:

Bash
      #!/bin/sh
      exec tail -n +3 $0
      menuentry 'Clonezilla Live' {
        set isofile="/boot/clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-amd64.iso"
        loopback loop $isofile
        linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live config noswap edd=on nomodeset locales=en_US.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=NONE ocs_prerun="dhclient -v enp12s0" ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_daemonon="ssh" vga=788 nosplash toram findiso=$isofile
        initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
      }
    • Run update-grub

Now Reboot to Clonezilla Once should boot the new iso instead of the old one, and bring up the ssh interface.

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether ryecoaaron's comment about updates wiping out changes applies to the grub config changes I made.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only thing I'm not sure of is whether ryecoaaron's comment about updates wiping out changes applies to the grub config changes I made.

Your changes will be wiped out if you click the install clonezilla button. I would love to upgrade the clonezilla iso version but getting dhcp to work on all systems (since most have a different NIC names) is tough. While I thought I tried it, does you system work when you just use dhclient for the ocs_prerun? I guess otherwise, I could have the script guess which network adapter is the correct one.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

ow Reboot to Clonezilla Once should boot the new iso instead of the old one, and bring up the ssh interface.

Well, either something changed or your parameters were a bit different than what I had tried in the past. Either way, I was able to use the new version and just use dhclient without the adapter name (only worked with eth0) before. So, this has been pushed out in omv-extras 4.1.15 :)

• Well, either something changed or your parameters were a bit different than what I had tried in the past. Either way, I was able to use the new version and just use dhclient without the adapter name (only worked with eth0) before. So, this has been pushed out in omv-extras 4.1.15 :)

Sounds great... so I just have to disable and reenable Clonezilla in the extras options (maybe renaming my working CZ image beforehand) and the new version should work out of the box?

• Offizieller Beitrag

so I just have to disable and reenable Clonezilla in the extras options (maybe renaming my working CZ image beforehand) and the new version should work out of the box?

Just upgrade omv-extras and click install clonezilla on the kernel tab.

• Just upgrade omv-extras and click install clonezilla on the kernel tab.

Already did that and tested Clonezilla. Working as expected (smooth as butter). Noted only one cosmetical glitch... when downloading the cz image it tells something about clonezilla version 2.x (at least I think I've seen that).

Edit:
    The info box says it's downloading and installing clonezilla-live-2.6.0-37-i686-pae.iso (and that file's existing in the boot folder). dpkg -l clonezilla tells me, that actually version 3.32.22 is running. I guess you just kept it as it was before to save some work ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Noted only one cosmetical glitch... when downloading the cz image it tells something about clonezilla version 2.x (at least I think I've seen that).

Are you referring to the hsts message?

• I'm referring to the java script box with the apt output that opens when I click 'Install Clonezilla' within the kernel tab. Here I noticed it the first time (name of the old iso). Then I had a look into the boot folder, the iso still had the file name of the old version. But when I tested Clonezilla, the version 3.32.22 was running.
    So I assumed you just replaced files in the repo without renaming.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The version of the Clonezilla ISO is 2.6.0-37
    The version of the Clonezilla package on the ISO is 3.32.22-drbl1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!