My fanless NAS

• I very nearly purchased the same motherboard but instead I chose the Gigabyte-Ga-J1900n-D3v. The Gigabyte MB uses laptop SODIMM modules and I already had 8GB with no other use, so I didn't pick the Asus but it was a close decision. Both boards have low power usage and being fanless is a nice feature.

The inclusion of PCIE does open up some upgrade options - only having PCI is a downside of the Gigabyte-Ga-J1900n-D3v, IMHO (As, also, is the absence of HDMI - although this doesn't matter for a headless NAS).

• hi,

my selfbuild is much older, not fanless, but provides for 6 SATA Ports + a single old parallel IDE (which is sufficient for System partition...)
    currently I use 3 SATA Ports for a Raid (which also results in a good throughput of the Network Interface)
    So about 4 years old, still about 45% capacaty free and still has the ability to be extended with no effort.

So choosing a MoBo with more Ports and more PCIe Ports is a favor if you want to be future save

• When I said furure-proof i was refering to upgrade possibilities and reliability.
    I use it for NAS, network printer, SFTP (Cloud access) that's about it.
    As others said the advantage of having PCIEX is that I can easily add SATA interfaces, or any other connection that I need.
    As for processing power even what it has is plenty for it's purpose. I don't think I will need more any time soon.

Coming from a prebuilt solution like Seagate Black Armor to this self made NAS, I consider it much more versatile and tailorable to one's needs. Plus if anything breaks I can change it easily :)

PS: the only thing I would have liked more was for it to have the possibility to use a laptop power source... but maybe next time :)

• A laptop power source is less than 45€ and you probably will be able to reduce power draw about 4-5 watts. PicoPSU90 and a cheap 60-70 watts external NT an you're set. I've bought a Seasoned NT that's more than double the price of a noname one and there's no difference in power draw.
    When running your box 24/7 you would save a little bit more than 10€ a year. Hmmm... a good decision when setting up the NAS, as an upgrade the NAS has to run quite some time.

• Sounds like you got exactly what you want, so that's awesome!

I tried an embedded motherboard and found it lacking in performance for what I need. Either way, OMV FTW!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!