Plex Docker OMV 4.0 Arrakis

• Hi guys,

I'm very new to docker....I've managed to install and configured it but trying to install Plex which I'm stuck now.
    I've followed instruction for this, but unable to get it running because it kept crashing.

here's the log, please help. thanks

=====================================================================
    ***** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/1ee8b1a6-ccd1-f4ac-5dc319cd-2fb26fb5.dmp
    Error in command line:the argument for option '--serverUuid' should follow immediately after the equal sign
    Crash Uploader options (all are required):
    --directory arg Directory to scan for crash reports
    --serverUuid arg UUID of the server that crashed
    --userId arg User that owns this product
    --platform arg Platform string
    --url arg URL to upload to
    --help show help message
    --version arg Version of the product
    Starting Plex Media Server.
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
    terminate called recursively
    what(): Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directories: Read-only file system: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs"'
    ****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.10.1.4602-f54242b6b/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/0cd524c3-15bc-d358-06ce54b7-6742e336.dmp
    Error in command line:the argument for option '--serverUuid' should follow immediately after the equal sign
    Crash Uploader options (all are required):
    --directory arg Directory to scan for crash reports
    --serverUuid arg UUID of the server that crashed
    --userId arg User that owns this product
    --platform arg Platform string
    --url arg URL to upload to
    --help show help message
    --version arg Version of the product
    ===================================================================

• Why install plex with docker when you can simply use the plug in?

Send by my Sony XZ1 using Tapatalk

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• You're on the right track. Some plugins are being deprecated in lieu of using Docker containers. I don't have the knowledge to understand what is happening with your installation personally, but hopefully one of the more experienced members will have some ideas.

On what platform is OMV installed? Which Docker container are you using for Plex?

• I'm not sure which advantages do you have on using plex from Docker or installing it normally. I'm using Sonarr and Deluge via Docker but I think Plex is better with normal installation since it recieve a lot of update usually

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• I prefer Docker for everything. But I am biased. See here.

Thanks. As I thought so too.

Anyway, i did follow your instruction to start with and using 4.0, i was stuck when running plex and I found out why. it was permission issue.
    Anyhoo, onto the next issue i have......I'm just wondering if you have managed to update plex on docker?
    I seems to have found articles that by restarting it, it should update it automatically. But it doesn't.
    some people said recreating container is the only way to update it (which is rather an overkill), if that's the case then it's not really productive as you'll need to reconfigure everything and rescan all of library again from sractch.

OR will the /config file remain when you delete the container?
    sorry if it is a silly question, as I'm still quite new with this.
    please advise. thanks

• I seems to have found articles that by restarting it, it should update it automatically. But it doesn't.
    some people said recreating container is the only way to update it (which is rather an overkill), if that's the case then it's not really productive as you'll need to reconfigure everything and rescan all of library again from sractch.

Well, deleting the container actually will allow the database to remain, as long as you have mapped the /config folder properly to somewhere in your system. However, if you're using the Linuxserver.io image, there's only one thing you'll need to do to enable the automatic updates. In the environmental variables section, add a new variable called VERSION with the value latest.

Then, assuming you've logged in to the plex server web UI at least once, you can restart the container and it will update to the most recent version (Plex Pass beta if you're a Plex Pass subscriber, or the public version otherwise).

• I run plex in docker for OMV 3 and it updates automatically when I restart.... which is way easier than having to update through command line for plex pass.

In the beginning I did have problem with plex docker starting the transcode, but that was because my config directory was placed on my storage pool.

The storage pools within OMV are mounted with No Exec which prevents plex docker from working properly.
    I had to change the storage mount with exec flag and now everything works properly.

• Trying to follow the Docker guide - I'm stuck at Plex server setup page - it won't load. I am a linux noob so not sure where to go next.

Intel Pentium Processor G4400 3.3 GHz
    Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Single DDR4 2400
    MSI Pro Series Intel B250 MB
    OMV 3.0.94

• OK PGID didn't save and I also added the VERSION string...

Still no Plex server setup page

OMV 3.0.94

• Latest log file

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
    [s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
    [fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
    [fix-attrs.d] done.
    [cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
    [cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
    _ ()
    | | ___ _ __
    | | / __| | | / \
    | | \__ \ | | | () |
    |_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
    We gratefully accept donations at:
    https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
    GID/UID

User uid: 1001
    User gid: 100

chown: changing ownership of '/config': Read-only file system
    [cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/config/Library’: Read-only file system
    stat: cannot stat '/config/Library': No such file or directory
    Change in ownership detected, please be patient while we chown existing files
    This could take some time
    chown: cannot access '/config/Library': No such file or directory
    chown: cannot access '/config/*': No such file or directory
    [cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 1.
    [cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

#####################################################
    # Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
    # and restart the docker, because there was no #
    # preference file found, possibly first startup. #
    #####################################################

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
    [cont-init.d] done.
    [services.d] starting services
    Starting dbus-daemon
    [services.d] done.
    Starting Plex Media Server.
    Starting Avahi daemon
    Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
    Successfully dropped root privileges.
    avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
    No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
    *** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***
    *** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***
    Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
    New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 10.0.1.163.
    New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
    Network interface enumeration completed.
    Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
    Registering new address record for 10.0.1.163 on eth0.IPv4.
    Server startup complete. Host name is omv.local. Local service cookie is 3532708906.

OMV 3.0.94

• Then, assuming you've logged in to the plex server web UI at least once, you can restart the container and it will update to the most recent version (Plex Pass beta if you're a Plex Pass subscriber, or the public version otherwise).

Thanks flvinny. I am a plex pass subscriber, and I'm not sure I understood fully when you said " assuming you've logged into the plex server web UI at least once. Are you saying that I should login to http://serverIP:32400/web/index.html once before and another after I restarted the container?

I run plex in docker for OMV 3 and it updates automatically when I restart.... which is way easier than having to update through command line for plex pass.

In the beginning I did have problem with plex docker starting the transcode, but that was because my config directory was placed on my storage pool.

The storage pools within OMV are mounted with No Exec which prevents plex docker from working properly.
    I had to change the storage mount with exec flag and now everything works properly.

thanks Vshaulk.
    So are you saying that you've also entered the same variables and use the same method to update your plex?

• Oh My goodness! it worked! thanks guys for your help. such a simple solution if you know how. I was looking into watchtower yesterday but that solution is a lot more complex, I'm glad I waited for your replies.

by the way, will it work the same thing with sonarr and radarr? or are they updating already by default when containers are restarted? They depended on mono too, correct?
    If they do get update automatically on restart as is now, will mono also get updated?

cheers

• Thanks flvinny. I am a plex pass subscriber, and I'm not sure I understood fully when you said " assuming you've logged into the plex server web UI at least once. Are you saying that I should login to http://serverIP:32400/web/index.html once before and another after I restarted the container?thanks Vshaulk.So are you saying that you've also entered the same variables and use the same method to update your plex?

I just mean that in order for Plex to determine whether or not you're a Plex Pass subscriber, you have to have logged on to your webUI. In other words, if you install the container but never do the server setup page from the webUI, you can keep restarting over and over and you'll never get the Plex Pass version. As long as you've gone to YOURIP:32400 and your Plex account is logged in, you'll get the Plex Pass updates. It's likely not necessary to log in before and after every restart.

Oh My goodness! it worked! thanks guys for your help. such a simple solution if you know how. I was looking into watchtower yesterday but that solution is a lot more complex, I'm glad I waited for your replies.

by the way, will it work the same thing with sonarr and radarr? or are they updating already by default when containers are restarted? They depended on mono too, correct?
    If they do get update automatically on restart as is now, will mono also get updated?

cheers

Sonarr and Radarr work differently. From inside their web UI, there is a System>Updates section that will tell you what version you have installed and what the latest version is, along with a changelog. You can simply click the "install" button that pops up on the latest release and it will update on its own, no variables or restarting the container necessary.

• Sonarr and Radarr work differently. From inside their web UI, there is a System>Updates section that will tell you what version you have installed and what the latest version is, along with a changelog. You can simply click the "install" button that pops up on the latest release and it will update on its own, no variables or restarting the container necessary.

Awesome! thanks again! Radarr released an update today, so was good timing to test. it worked okay. I haven't checked the log, but would that update mono too if required?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!