Suggestion on the set up. RAID or?

• I have two computers for my media. My main computer has 8TB, 4TB and 1TB drives for storage. It is running Win 10 and under Storage Spaces setting i'm able to combine all 3 drives for the total of 11.8 TiB of storage. What i'm also able to do is remove disks or add more without having to set up the storage space from the scratch all over again. This works beautifully.

Now, On the other computer I have OMV set up. This computer also has 8TB, 4TB and 1TB drives for storage and it is a back up of the computer above. I have added all 3 drives and created RAID stripe with 11.8 TiB of storage. However with this set up I'm unable to grow RAID or remove any disks without completely erasing the RAID and starting over. I understand that in RAID 5 I can make it grow but I dont want that because my disk space will be far smaller.

So what would be the best set up for me to be able to retain my 11.8 TiB of space but also be able to add or remove disks?

Thank you.

• So what would be the best set up for me to be able to retain my 11.8 TiB of space but also be able to add or remove disks?

mergerfs

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Ok. So I ran a test with 4 USB sticks and virtual box to see what exactly is going before I make any changes to my main system. Anyway, I was able to create Union FileSystem with 3 USB sticks. Then I shared that folder on the network and wrote some data to it. Then i went back to OMV and added 4th USB stick to the Union FileSystem. Checked the folder on the network and data was still there. Rebooted the machine. Went back into OMV and removed one USB stick from Union Filesystem. Checked in the network folder on my main computer and the file was gone. It looks like the file was not moved to other USB drives prior to the USB stick being removed from the Union Filesystem.

Either I did something wrong or this is not what I want.

Thank you for any help.

• Ok. So I ran a test with 4 USB sticks and virtual box to see what exactly is going before I make any changes to my main system. Anyway, I was able to create Union FileSystem with 3 USB sticks. Then I shared that folder on the network and wrote some data to it. Then i went back to OMV and added 4th USB stick to the Union FileSystem. Checked the folder on the network and data was still there. Rebooted the machine. Went back into OMV and removed one USB stick from Union Filesystem. Checked in the network folder on my main computer and the file was gone. It looks like the file was not moved to other USB drives prior to the USB stick being removed from the Union Filesystem.

Either I did something wrong or this is not what I want.

Thank you for any help.

What you are expecting to happen is not within the scope of mergerfs.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, I dont really need an answer anymore. OMV stopped working for me completely. I even reinstalled it 5-6 times. I was able to set everything up but I was unable to see my shares from windows machines. I spent 2 days on trying to fix this new issue with the network. Then I went and installed Rockstor and that turned out fruitless as it didnt let me access Web UI. The plan tomorrow is to install Windows 7. And I know that will work. I should have started with Windows right from the get go and never looked at anything Linux. Sorry, but I will not recommend OMV to anyone. We can mark this thread closed. Thanks again.

• ZanosG - Sorry to hear your experience with OMV was not smooth. I have been running OMV for about 3 years now without any issues. The PC's in our house are all windows and never had an issue with shares as long as they were setup correctly with the correct permissions. Take care..

• Oh all the fun I had with this and getting things set up.

So the very next day after my last reply I was able to install Win7 and that worked perfectly fine. I was able to see my shares on the network and I was copying files over to it when I decided to install anti virus. Win7 was not updated and I had updates shut off, anti virus software needed one of the windows updates to be installed. Fine, I went to MS site and downloaded the update manually. I installed the update and then installed the antivirus. But the update broke my system because it needed another update to be installed before it. So every time I opened the explorer it would crash. At this point I was really fuming. So I went back to OMV but this time I installed OMV4. After installation I configured it properly and had all my shares set up. I went back to my other machines and I was still unable to view my shares. At this point I was fuming even more. This was like 7th or 8th install. So I started to google these problems and I came across the article explaining how to remove your network usernames/passwords from your Windows machines.

You do this by running Run.exe and then typing two commands. First one is "control keymgr.dll". This will open up a window where all your passwords are stored. You would go to "Windows Credentials" tab and remove all network passwords and usernames that you dont use. Also, if you see OMV hostname in there you would delete that also.
    The second command you would type in run.exe dialog is "net use \\fileservername /del". You would replace fileservername with the hostname that you had OMV set up with. For example I use SERVER so I had to type in "net use \\SERVER /del". Then reboot windows.
    To delete all credentails use "net use * /del" but you do not have to do this part.

After doing this I was able to access my shares from every Windows machine but every Windows machine needed this done. The problem comes down to this. Initially I had OMV set up with hostname SERVER and that worked fine for a while. But then when reinstalling OVM I used same hostname every time. So when I tried to connect from Win machines, Windows was looking for the old SERVER and using the old username/password. I was also able to recreate this in VirtualBox and verify that this is why I had these same exact problems.
    For this fix you do not have to play around with privilages or ACL in OMV. I just had one user set up ( Users>> Add User) with password and everything else was using default settings.

So, my apologies. I was not aware that this was not OMV issue. It was a Windows issue. I will probably end up making a video on how to fix this issue and put it on youtube because when I was using Google and looking for a fix I did not see any suggestions stating that this needed to be done. Most suggestions stated to play around with privilages or ACL in OMV. But this is not actually what the problem is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!