Docker Plugin Error Setting New Base Path

• Hi, I'm really struggling here. I can't seem to find anyone with the same error that I'm getting, I think I've corrupted something. I get the following:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; docker images 2>&1' with exit code '1': Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?

I read something that said that the Shared Folder location can't be on the Union FS, so I tried to put it on the Data drive, but got the wrong one, and then when I went to fix it all up again, it's now not working. I think I must have done something wrong and corrupted something???

I tried reinstalling the Docker Plugin, and opening up the permissions, but I just can't figure out why I cannot set a new Base Path for this Docker plugin...I don't know whether the problem is with the plugin or the folder I'm trying to set?

• Ok, first stupid mistake fixed...I should have known that you just need to use the --reinstall flag to get it to reinstall the missing lib files:

Code
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install openmediavault

Just need to figure out the docker problem somehow...

• Ok, so what's the best way to do this then, as I want to try to set up some Docker Containers but I won't have enough space on my OS drive? Is it good practice to remove the noexec flag on my data drives? Thanks

• Is ok. Just in the data drive that’s going to hold the docker root directory.
    Don’t think the flag helps that much in Omv, but is by default since the beginning.

I think I mentioned this before.

I set my Docker base path to be a directory on a data drive in the plugin and all my data drives are set noexec. OMV then set the following bind mount in fstab:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-d4/docker /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults 0 0

It was not necessary to remove the noexec flag from the data drive that now holds the Docker base path.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think I mentioned this before.
    I set my Docker base path to be a directory on a data drive in the plugin and all my data drives are set noexec. OMV then set the following bind mount in fstab:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label-d4/docker /var/lib/docker/openmediavault none bind,defaults 0 0

It was not necessary to remove the noexec flag from the data drive that now holds the Docker base path.

I need to confirm this is the case that noexec doesn't matter for docker. bind should respect the noexec flag as bind is just a different view of a directory. That bind you mention is getting removed, the commit is already in github.

• When might that github commit make it out as an update in the repo? If the update breaks my dockers, I'll let you know :)

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No idea when the package is gonna get pushed. just confirmed that noexec doesn't make a difference, maybe some changes in dockerd in the last year changed this.

The commits where done by me. I tested this in several scenarios, but all of them included just using overlay2 and zfs storage driver. What driver do you use? wonder if aufs or devicemapper driver make a difference when using noexec

The bind removal was absolutely necessary because of ZFS problems that appeared when users selected this as root directory

• No idea what storage driver I use, I didn't specify anything that I can recall.

--

• Ok, thanks for all posting, but can I have the idiots version please?

What do I do to set the docker base path so I can try it out?

:)

It's up to you. It just needs to be an existing directory on a drive that you have set to be a shared folder. I set mine as a directory named "docker" that is on the root of one of my data drives.

--

• Interesting, when I rebooted, I was able to set the new Base Path fine with no errors. I then tried changing it to another path, and then it threw the error again, and even when i changed it back it threw the same error. I'm going to reboot and try setting it again and not touching it this time.

Yep, I didn't touch it the second time and seems to be alright now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!